Beginners and Beyond

Back to work Tuesdailies (Read 18 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I didn't run today, so RD. I was sore after the massage and then instead did 5 loads of laundry while WFH. Now folding that shit is going to take 30 days.

Damaris

My garmin 245 is just a few months old and charges just fine. However, I can't get my computer to recognize the device. I've tried 3 different laptops now with same conclusion. Just plugging the cord into the laptop (without watch attached) causes an error message on the laptop: USB device not recognized. However, it still will charge just fine connected to the laptop  Has anyone had this happen? I wouldn't care except when a run doesn't upload properly and I need to do it manually. Seemingly, there's something wrong with the cord but it's weird that it charges just fine. And yes, the contacts are all clean and fine on the watch and charging cord. Super weird.

ALL. THE. TIME. way back with my old 210, when the only way to load data was via USB connection. It was the bane of my existence. I'd have to jiggle/disconnect/reconnect multiple times for it to recognize the device. It charged just fine though, I never understood it. I haven't had to deal with it with my 220 because Bluetooth/phone app. Except a few times when RA didn't work last year; the wired connection worked fine the first time, the second time I got what you're getting. Although I never tried connecting the cable without the watch attached, with either 210 or 220.

Is GarminConnect still working? You can just download the file from the GC website, and upload that to RA.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Is your computer a Mac? I could never connect my Garmins via USB on a Mac, but could on my work PC laptop.

Nope, no Macs.

sdWhiskers

Is GarminConnect still working? You can just download the file from the GC website, and upload that to RA.

This is of course, the right answer  thanks for reminding me of this option instead of manually adding 6 generic miles.

But still annoyed that the damn cable only works to charge and not connect!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My garmin 245 is just a few months old and charges just fine. However, I can't get my computer to recognize the device. I've tried 3 different laptops now with same conclusion. Just plugging the cord into the laptop (without watch attached) causes an error message on the laptop: USB device not recognized. However, it still will charge just fine connected to the laptop  Has anyone had this happen? I wouldn't care except when a run doesn't upload properly and I need to do it manually. Seemingly, there's something wrong with the cord but it's weird that it charges just fine. And yes, the contacts are all clean and fine on the watch and charging cord. Super weird.

Contact Garmin Support.  I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the cord.  They sent me a new cord at no charge since I was still under warranty and that solved the problem.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

sdWhiskers, do you have Garmin Express on the computer you are trying to download to? That's what I use on the rare times when I plug mine in. It then feeds to Garmin Connect. Is there a setting somewhere for plug in devices thata maybe defaults to charge?

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers, do you have Garmin Express on the computer you are trying to download to? That's what I use on the rare times when I plug mine in. It then feeds to Garmin Connect. Is there a setting somewhere for plug in devices thata maybe defaults to charge?

With the computer not recognizing the watch, there's no way for Garmin Express to get the workout. But I did as Dave suggested and got the file from Garmin Connect. Next, I'll look into a new cable. Thanks for the suggestions!