Beginners and Beyond

Happy Heat Awareness Day, Friday PENGUINS! (Read 18 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Today is apparently Heat Awareness Day.  I was aware of the heat a bit too early yesterday when I drove past a thermometer that said 88 on my way home.  So I even brought water with me to the group run, although it felt like it had cooled down a lot by the time I got there.  It was a good run.  My RP's marathon is in 2 days, and she still ran 6 with us, and still ran too fast.  I think she's ready. Smile

It's also apparently "put a pillow on your fridge day" 

As well as world digestive health day.  I am working on improving mine, thank you very much.  Scotty, hope all of your "probes" yesterday came out fine, too!

PADRunner

Morning, 4 soggy miles this morning. Another 3" overnight. A couple more of these and my park will be a lake.

on my way to badass

Happy Friday Penguins!

Good luck to your RP Z!

Stay safe PAD!

I had an exciting morning.  First I had a nightmare about missing the start of my race.  Then I saw my first fawn of the year on my run.  After the turnaround on my run I moved a turtle out of the road.  Then I managed negative splits.  First time in a while.  4 done.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

PAD, hope it lets up soon.

Mitch, to me that sounds pretty steep for a plan unless it had some coaching support or something more custom.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I was aware of the heat today as I got out the door for my run a bit later than I wanted.  I did 3.7 miles and called it a quits.  I'll swim in a bit to get some more activity in for the day.  Also, marathon training starts in 4 weeks.  I'm feeling increasingly on the fence about even attempting a marathon after the whole ordeal with DH =/

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 steamy miles. Guess I'm going pass on the racing this weekend.  The only close race is one we already ran 2 years ago.  We don't like to repeat things if we don't have to.

Have a great weekend !!!

GinnyinPA

Z - good luck to your friend.  I was wondering if she had run the marathon you ran, since I knew it was soon.  I'm glad your run went so well.

PAD - getting four years of rain in a month is not a good thing.  I hope it dries out for you soon.

SF - sounds like a good run.  I haven't seen any fawns yet this year. Good luck with your race.

sapf - What happened to your husband is a rare thing and probably wouldn't happen to him on another cooler day. Hundreds of thousands of people run marathons every year. Very few collapse from the heat. I wouldn't let it affect your plans.  Do the marathon if it's something you really want to do, but if not, don't.  Training in the summer is hard (as is training in the winter when you live in NY) so it has to be something you really care about to make it worth while.

Jerry - good job on the humid run.  Sorry about the race though.  .

I don't know whether I'm running today or not.  We still have a lot of mulch to spread. Today is fairly humid, but only in the low 80s so we may spend the afternoon with shovels and wheelbarrows.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

The diagnosis is in. I have patella chondromalacia. That's a big word that means no running for 6-8 weeks. The doc said I need to start riding a bike or elliptical machines. The good news is that my ACL and miniscus are fine and my joints are fit and strong. Enjoy the miles, I won't be getting any. Dang.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Take care of the patella thing, Jack.  Take a beer(s) daily with food.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ouch Jack - good luck.

Ginny - I know I'm being a bit irrational.  My DH had to do 24 hour cardiac monitoring yesterday so he came home with like 7 leads and a portable machine attached to himself which just hit a nerve.  He is 100% in favor of me doing the full.  I think I'm just projecting my anxiety surrounding his health onto myself, which is completely irrational.  I certainly want to do it but I'm just feeling weird emotions related to running right now.  Maybe I'll go get a full workup to calm my nerves =P  Though honestly I'm sure my insurance wouldn't approve all of the cardiology stuff for me and it would fall under the realm of unnecessary medical testing.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

sap, I completely understand how you feel. Being the hobby joggers that we are, we try to make for a more active lifestyle to help ourselves. But......when it comes to staying alive, or having a disabling injury, it makes one think and really evaluate what's important to us.

Zel, last year, I took hours upon hours to modify the Hal Higdon Intermediate II marathon plan into my crazy work schedule. What was frustrating about it, is after I spent all that time planning it, my schedule changed and everything was tossed out the window. I actually think I will save the money on the custom plan, and buy some shoes. For the plan I referred to, it's a once and done with no real support from them afterwards. They do offer one-on-one coaching for $150 per month which allows for constant communication through phone, text, email, but that's way over my budget.

Jack, patella? That's the knee cap bone, right?

I took a RD. I have the local 5k in the morning that I usually help mentor for. I have only made one of the classes over the past 10 weeks, but the lead coach still needs me to help be a pacer. I plan to get at least 12-15 miles in, but that will depend how tonight's work shift goes.

Hi Pens!

Wrapping up another week and playing catch up on your posts. What a crazy week - great runs, horrible weather, scary shit, hurt runners, PT sympathy, and stupid injuries. Through it all, here we are. You guys are great.

AFM - Ortho confirmed pelvic stress fracture (Ischium). Finally get an MRI tomorrow for more details. Doc was very thorough in the exam and diagnosed the fracture from a physical exam. Well talk more about a plan action at our next appointment in 10 days. Everything takes soooo long. Meanwhile, not running of course, and getting handy with a cane to keep the weight off. 

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K