Beginners and Beyond

Race and Photos - Wurst 5 Mile Run (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2060%20Wurst%205%20Mile%20Run

BEFORE THE START

My 60th race of 2016 was the Wurst 5 Mile Run, held on Nov 5, starting and finishing at Landa Park in New Braunfels, a city about a 30-minute drive from where I live in San Antonio.  This race is part of the New Braunfels Wurst Fest held every November,  celebrating the German heritage of the city.....one nice party held over 10 days, if I remember correctly - www.wurstfest.com    Race start time of 8 a.m., with a kid's run at 9 a.m.  This being Texas, you just never know what the weather will be for this event - some years I did it, it was very cold, others very hot, some just perfect.  This year, a bit on the warm side with a temp of 69 degrees at start time, cloudy and overcast, which was nice, and even though the humidity was fairly high, the dew-point behaved itself a bit, so it did not feel too uncomfortable out on the course, at least not to me.

I arrived on site a bit before 7 a.m., so it was still somewhat dark as I wandered around getting my first photos, but soon lightened up very nicely, although still quite cloudy, the sun never did come out at all.

Volunteers who had to be here WAY early...preparing our goodies and registering people on race day.

photo 001_zpsynymmdel.jpg

photo 002_zpsj8njmyju.jpg

photo 005_zpszgh2lvpw.jpg

photo 003_zpsins6xjlk.jpg

Our MC, David (white shirt), with friends

photo 008_zpshqdlti6w.jpg

Athlete Guild crew that did the course setup, timing, results, etc.   Some of my favorite race people, love AthleteGuild. For you local runners and walkers, their website also has the best and most comprehensive local area (San Antonio-Austin Corridor) race calendar, they put everyone's race onto their calendar of upcoming events.

photo 009_zpsnzxqrbga.jpg

This guy tuba-played  The National Anthem for us, excellently done too. Quite impressive.

photo 011_zpsu87qsmpf.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, etc.

photo 004_zps6pzg2pwa.jpg

photo 007_zpsn9cjtsty.jpg

photo 010_zpsbs16trtc.jpg

I need to get my wife an outfit like this....  

photo 012_zps5lddjzh8.jpg

How an old man makes himself look good, lol....stand next to lovely ladies...

photo 013_zpshxwe7uzh.jpg

photo 014_zpsciqr7jjp.jpg

photo 015_zpsrdfjsv2h.jpg

photo 019_zpsglsm3caf.jpg

photo 016_zpssciyyvio.jpg

These 3 are wearing the very nice long-sleeved tech tee race shirt participants and volunteers got

photo 017_zpst8th6grk.jpg

photo 018_zpskniwjvmq.jpg

I saw these ladies again on the course and jokingly asked them to keep running ahead of me to motivate me to keep moving forward.  They did...way ahead of me, lol; they finished quite a bit ahead of me.

photo 020_zpsg8a0cbmr.jpg

photo 021_zpsju2scaqm.jpg

In the start line crowd....I don't know how many registered, but there were 914 finishers, walkers and runners.

photo 022_zpsv1kh4rsb.jpg

photo 023_zpsxty5zpn7.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was a kind of loop course.  Start was at one of the park pavilions, then we wound around near the golf course by the park and then went into a residential area, making our way to a nearby local highway area, a downhill shoulder near that, then a turn that took us back onto a road heading us to the finish, and back to the park pavilion the way we had come out for the first couple of miles.  This was not a very hilly course, but there was a steep little downhill on the way out, which on the way back became the uphill we had to climb right before we did the last 1/2 mile or so of the course.

There was a little old lady driving this car.  I don't know why she was out there on the course at this time, this is a well-advertised local event and usually in the early stage of the race, nobody is driving on this road.  Thankfully, she did go VERY slowly and no incidents occurred.   I think the police officer at the intersection nearby had her turn off the course there.

photo 024_zpswccfhsvl.jpg

photo 025_zpsq5amsbjw.jpg

photo 026_zpsoaghaudd.jpg

photo 027_zpskzlomx5e.jpg

photo 028_zpshjofrxeb.jpg

photo 029_zpselviyvk9.jpg

photo 030_zpsbhetwcux.jpg

photo 031_zpsw0qdjt8z.jpg

As slow as I am, lol, I got go see some of the lead runners heading to the finish on the left side of the road.

photo 032_zpsx3hnrarp.jpg

photo 033_zpsxuo25azw.jpg

photo 034_zpsaj8hjatr.jpg

Looking behind me

photo 035_zpswuzuji9z.jpg

photo 036_zpshlueqjdg.jpg

..and ahead again...

photo 037_zpsgq5zyhbw.jpg

The long downhill on the shoulder of this road

photo 038_zpsem1ncwrb.jpg

photo 039_zpscybqrwzi.jpg

photo 040_zpsct4mbra3.jpg

photo 041_zpsxxpglw0v.jpg

photo 042_zpsfp5rbsxm.jpg

photo 043_zps1qecjzim.jpg

Left at that light and we start heading back to the finish photo 044_zpst5wwib2p.jpg

photo 045_zpshjbvcoay.jpg

photo 046_zpscojjjrqr.jpg

Heading to Mile 4

photo 047_zpsxaoxwicf.jpg

photo 048_zpsv5mrj3wn.jpg

photo 049_zpstsk4edo8.jpg

photo 050_zpsn6evavrf.jpg

photo 051_zpswtftu1jc.jpg

photo 052_zps0cweabiz.jpg

Past Mile 4 now.  Up this short steep hill and about 1/2 mile to go to the finish line.

photo 053_zpsi6qrmya1.jpg

After that, it was nonstop back to the finish.  I ended up with 56:18 chip time, 15th in my age group (60 - 69) out of 22.  I probably might have finished under 55 minutes if I hadn't stopped to treat a couple of dogs and take a few extra photos on the course;  but I don't care.  I was feeling great and having fun and the time is what it is.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

AFTER MY FINISH

"Happy Finishers", supporters, etc.  I call these photos 'happy finishers' because more people are smiling after they are done, lol.

photo 054_zpsmj5joxjb.jpg

I was in the verrrry long beer-line next to this very nice young man and lady - probably bored them to death with all my chatter, lol, but they were too polite to give me a whack to shut me up like my wife sometimes does. 

photo 055_zps7nzqh6yt.jpg

photo 056_zpsqj5ijae7.jpg

Ahhh, finally got my beer!  And got my camera lens wiped clean.

photo 057_zpsmmyx5d1p.jpg

photo 059_zpsjwpgambz.jpg

Me and friend Karen with Lederhosen Guys...that must've been some strong beer....is Karen holding me up? 

photo 060_zpsdr7hzzhd.jpg

She is just the right height to make a good arm-rest too... 

photo 061_zpsf5q1tyup.jpg

The beer line was still looooooong!  Kind of like the voting lines for the election this year...except the results are better here... 

photo 062_zpsgnfozoqx.jpg

Very friendly dog and its human.  Out on the course I gave the lady a treat for her dog to enjoy post-race.

photo 063_zpsqunuusr6.jpg

photo 064_zpsc13o5dpw.jpg

photo 065_zpsgjoisypz.jpg

photo 066_zpsmbtjonzb.jpg

photo 067_zpsn2jslnck.jpg

photo 068_zps5vgut8qv.jpg

The beer pourers....how long did they have to stand there? Pretty darn long!

photo 069_zpsjhseakqf.jpg

While I enjoyed my beer, I also enjoyed a bit of the scenery at this pretty Landa Park.

photo 070_zpsij0mezza.jpg

photo 071_zpsw1urrpqs.jpg

My friend Adrian and friend. Adrian puts on the best Santa 5K in San Antonio, it is the very ORIGINAL Santa 5K, and has a heck of an after party at Sunset Station.

photo 072_zpsi1eugcrr.jpg

photo 073_zps285fkizr.jpg

photo 074_zps25vqrf7s.jpg

Lovely ladies and lovely, very friendly doggies.  I enjoyed playing with them for a few minutes....the dogs, that is....    The ladies were very nice and friendly too, we had a very nice chat.

photo 075_zpswcpecjaj.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a race that has been around a while - this year was its 39th year to be done - and it always remains a very popular event.  Good location, nice course, as part of your registration packet you get a ticket to the Wurst Fest celebration, great race shirt, very unique Age Group awards (handcrafted mugs), lots of post-race goodies. I've done this one - well, I lost count how many times, but I know it's over 10 - and I will keep doing it whenever possible, it never disappoints; even if things don't go as planned for your individual race, well, you still have beer and sausages and pastries waiting for you after the finish.   BIG DANKE to all the folks that made this one happen for us, AthleteGuild, sponsors, park authorities, law enforcement, volunteers, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun one, except for that last hill.

Buelligan

Love the faces.  They're a lot happier than my face.