Beginners and Beyond

Back to summer weekend Penguins (Read 10 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

They're forecasting 77 for the next two days here, warmer south of us.  Friends who are running MCM are not happy.  I don't mind, but then, I'm not trying to race in the heat.

Since I ran yesterday, I'll probably do the lawn this afternoon. It's as good a way as any to take care of the leaves and thanks to a couple of rains and lots of warm weather, our lawn looks like it's May, not almost November.

What's up with you?

PADRunner

6 for me today supposed ot be upper 80s here today & tomorrow. I think we are skipping fall and will just switch from Summer to winter here pretty soon.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Whoa, 67* this morning. 5.1 run/walk.  DD2 coming over to watch the game tonight.  Hope it's better than last night.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  We almost hit 90F today so not sure if we will run outside.  I went to Pilates and Barre classes so I am already sore, LOL.  6 miles and weights left to do.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Wow so beautiful outside today. :-)  I haven't run but I took my dog to the park at least.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  Ran 12 with the last 4 @ MP.

Damaris

Zelanie

I ran a trail 15K race instead of my 16 today.  The original plan was to get up early and run beforehand, then run some more after to get the mileage.  Instead I ran 1.5 at home before heading out, then just ran the race and said FTS to more miles after.

But in consolation, I tried to push more during the race itself.  Still not an all-out effort, but no walk in the park either.  I was 1:33/mile faster than my last trail race over a fairly similar course (full disclosure- this was also 10K shorter).  This one has a steeper climb I think.  We went up the same ridge that we came down in the other one.  Coming down off the ridge when we had good footing (which wasn't often), I was seeing numbers that I wasn't seeing even at the track this fall. Thecourse map said something like 1450' of elevation gain.

We passed more people than passed us, even on the uphills, and somehow lost everyone who had been close behind us on the downhill, even the technical parts.

I ran with my friend who has a trail 50K next weekend.  She could have gone much faster, but this wasn't her goal race, so she was good company and I think it was a good match.  We were much closer to the other folks in the club this time around.

GinnyinPA

Z - that sounds like a fun race. Nice to have company and someone with a lot of experience to encourage you.

D = Looks like you had some good runs this weekend.

Jill - I'm glad you got outside anyway.

PAD - hopefully it will cool off for you soon. We've been on a temperature roller coaster, which continues into next week.

Jerry - nice weather for a run.

I ended up with 9.1 today. It would have been a bit longer, but a heavy thunderstorm came up when I was 1.5 from home so I called for a pick up. I still got drenched, but didn't get hit by lightning or falling branches.

Zelanie

Glad you got home safely, Ginny!