Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES: Add Syrup (Read 21 times)

GinnyinPA

Fred - congratulations!

From the Internet.

Big oof I ran a marathon and it was my second slowest marathon ever. 3000+ miles between me and my Boston crash and burn and I crashed and burned just as hard. Frustrated. It was hot and sunny, I might not have imploded under cooler conditions. Thought I had gone out slow enough by perceived effort, but heart rate tells a different story (I ignore it while racing because it just stresses me out, but maybe could have salvaged a BQ if I'd looked at it yesterday).

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Big oof I ran a marathon and it was my second slowest marathon ever. 3000+ miles between me and my Boston crash and burn and I crashed and burned just as hard. Frustrated. It was hot and sunny, I might not have imploded under cooler conditions. Thought I had gone out slow enough by perceived effort, but heart rate tells a different story (I ignore it while racing because it just stresses me out, but maybe could have salvaged a BQ if I'd looked at it yesterday).

Sorry to hear it didn't go well.  Where did you race and what were conditions like?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

GinnyinPA

Heat saps your energy, especially after doing most of your training in winter cold. It can be hard to know how much to compensate. Sunshine and/or humidity just make it worse. I'm sorry it happened to you.

Baboon

delicate flower

Lauren, sorry about your rough marathon.  I've got a bunch of people on my Strava feed that ran it and nobody had a great day.  Warm, clear skies does not make for a fast marathon.  Congrats on finishing.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry about your race, Lauren. Even in the 30s, a sunny day makes me sweat droves which is why any hotter I start struggling. This has gotten worse with age and menopause.

Damaris

From the Internet.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well.  Where did you race and what were conditions like?

Providence Marathon - high of 79 yesterday after two or three solid weeks of beautiful running weather in the 40s and 50s! 75 by the time I finished.

DavePNW

Yikes. I checked the Strava, and your splits told the story. We've all been there, and it's a very rough place to be. A DNF would have been warranted, so props for pushing through the sufferfest.

Dave