Beginners and Beyond

Insipid ThursDAILIES (Read 39 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Just finished up 7.1 miles, my last run of 2015 and giving me 201 miles for December Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Maybe you do get better at racing by racing, but by training consistantly I do get adequate race times, certainly comparable to others who race more often than I do. On a 5K, there is a what, 30 second difference between an excellent day and a bad day? IMO racing more might make you better at racing, but it's the training that will make your times drop significantly. I might be wrong on this, but that is what I think.

I wish.  Try 2 minutes.

I think there is something to racing lots of 5ks to figure out what works best for you and probably what works best for you on a given course. My fastest 5ks never have nice even splits, usually it was mile 1=fastest, mile 2=slowest, mile 3, in the middle of the 2.

LRB

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - the folks in this forum are greatly entertaining.

I'm looking forward to another year of mostly lurking, occasionally spouting out some aged wisdom, and competing in the "game" with a few of you, and against a few others.

Happy new year.

And where the hell is Lily?

What? We don't bore you to death?

Happy New Year!

lily is getting ready for a knockout new year!

onemile

FWIW, onemile, I think the comparison to others is just as likely to be bogus as the McMillan predictions. Baboon has a better 5K PR than me, and I have a better marathon PR than him. But I understand you about being bummed about your race time: it's all about the result vs the expectations.

I am more comparing myself to the McMillan calculator than others. If McMillan said I could run 20:30, I wouldn't feel bummed about not running a 19:00 5k just because Baboon or you can.

onemile

lily has moved on to facebook!

LRB

^ doesn't everyone? Except the six of us that are left. lol

No more marathons

I wish.  Try 2 minutes.

I think there is something to racing lots of 5ks to figure out what works best for you and probably what works best for you on a given course. My fastest 5ks never have nice even splits, usually it was mile 1=fastest, mile 2=slowest, mile 3, in the middle of the 2.

And speaking of 5Ks, that will be (somewhat) my focus in 2016.

My thoughts are a fairly straight forward training plan of two quality workouts per week, two recovery days, one easy day, one long(ish) run, and one day off.  Totals will be 25 to 30 miles per week, with a drop back week once a month of about 20 miles.

The quality runs will be a vo2max workout of either 6X400 or 3X800 and a tempo run of 25 minutes or so.  The long run will be about 8 miles.

Comments welcomed.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Is there some sort of secret handshake or something?

LRB

My thoughts are a fairly straight forward training plan of two quality workouts per week, two recovery days, one easy day, one long(ish) run, and one day off.  Totals will be 25 to 30 miles per week, with a drop back week once a month of about 20 miles.

The quality runs will be a vo2max workout of either 6X400 or 3X800 and a tempo run of 25 minutes or so.  The long run will be about 8 miles.

Comments welcomed.

I would throw some mile paced stuff in there a couple times a month (200s and 400s) but it sounds like a great plan to me.

Cyberic

Comments welcomed.

If I weren't training for a marathon, the training you describe would pretty much be what I'd be doing, except my long run would be longer.

Cyberic

I don't like facebook as things are not compartimented: there's my family, co-workers, runners, old friends from my heavy drinking days... all in one big melting pot. I end up not posting much because running related activities bore non-runners, my drinking buddies would get me in conversations I would not want my aunts to read, and so forth.

I like it that here, I talk running. If I don't feel like talking running, I don't come here (does not happen much, lol)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Comments welcomed.

They suck, but I found I ran my fastest 5ks when doing 5 minute intervals at faster than 5k pace.

I have a spring half, but I will be throwing in some 5ks during that as speed work to break things up. If you have access to low-key running club events, that may be a decent option. In Maryland, there are limited options for races in the winter, I guess a lot of RDs don't want to deal with canceling events when we get ice, snow, sub zero wind chills, cold, etc.

onemile

I don't like facebook as things are not compartimented: there's my family, co-workers, runners, old friends from my heavy drinking days... all in one big melting pot. I end up not posting much because running related activities bore non-runners, my drinking buddies would get me in conversations I would not want my aunts to read, and so forth.

I like it that here, I talk running. If I don't feel like talking running, I don't come here (does not happen much, lol)

That's what facebook groups are for.

onemile

If I weren't training for a marathon, the training you describe would pretty much be what I'd be doing, except my long run would be longer.

You would only run 25-30mpw for 5k training?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I went to the supermarket and some dude hit my car while leaving his parking space.  All while I was waiting for another guy's parking space and the dude saw me while he was getting into his car.  AND HE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I took a picture of his plate but fortunately, there was no damage to my car.  Although I am tempted to call the cops anyway.

And all for naught, since my supermarket opens tomorrow. Gah.

Damaris