Beginners and Beyond

The Penguin's FRIDAILY (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

ExpandThe "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy Friday !!!

Early gym workout for me and DW was ready for a short, easy run when I came home.  63DP.

Good luck weekend racers.  We will take a racing rest weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 with 6 at MP.  Managed to run last night and that moved the cold to the sniffling and coughing phase.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I did my PT this morning with DH, and chorus rehearsal last night went well.  That's pretty much all of my news, so I'll just say TGIF!!

Jerryb -- Woo-hoo for your workout and easy run!!

Docket -- congrats (?) on shifting your cold around!!  Good luck with your 10!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

BTW, my section in chorus has one interval in a song we're really struggling with.  My director looked it up and told us it's a descending tritone, easiest to hear in Black Sabbath.  And to have my 58-year old director who loves show tunes more than anything tell me to listen to Black Sabbath is absolutely hilarious!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - and do you have any Black Sabbath at home to listen to to compare?  I hope the PT continues to erase the pain.

Jerry - enjoy your miles later.  I hope the gym went well.

Damaris - I thought you weren't supposed to run if the cold was in the chest?  Though you are so used to running without breathing well, it may not feel all that bad.  I hope this weekend helps the cough go away.

Kathleen - good news from the doctor, though aren't most running injuries "overuse injuries"?  Sorry you're missing the HM after all your work, but better not to make the injury worse.

AFM:  rest day here.  Today is the day of the annual book sale at the college (60,000!) so we'll spend a couple of hours there, then get lunch and come home to mow the lawn.  Exciting times.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

BTW, my section in chorus has one interval in a song we're really struggling with.  My director looked it up and told us it's a descending tritone, easiest to hear in Black Sabbath.  And to have my 58-year old director who loves show tunes more than anything tell me to listen to Black Sabbath is absolutely hilarious!!

That is so cool!

Ginny, funny that I don't have chest congestion. It's all in the nose.  I have been monitoring for that because the asthma would make it worse, but so far, only dry coughing and all in the head.

Damaris

Zelanie

Hey guys. We are going to Cirque du Soleil tonight. Smile Ran a nice 10 last night to running club and back. I ran into my RP on the way and ran her last tempo mile with her. It was her first 10 miler and she rocked it.

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - and do you have any Black Sabbath at home to listen to to compare?  I hope the PT continues to erase the pain.

YouTube is my friend!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey guys. We are going to Cirque du Soleil tonight. Smile Ran a nice 10 last night to running club and back. I ran into my RP on the way and ran her last tempo mile with her. It was her first 10 miler and she rocked it.

Nice!  Which one?

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Boring meeting and workshops today. Now we have to sit through a 90 minute keynote speaker. Total BS. I am in the back reading forums and playing Clash of Clans. I'm a bad boy.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey Pens!

I'm contemplating running today.  I'm supposed to be tapering but ran 35 miles in the first 7 days of May (which I think is my highest mileage week to date!) - so maybe I should take a rest day.  I know I'll be taking a rest day on Sunday for sure between attending a bachelorette party on Saturday night and dealing with the MIL on Sunday - which maybe makes me think I should do a little bit of running today.  In any case, tomorrow morning I'll do my last LR before my HM.

Jerry - good job getting the workout done early

DR - it is good that you're feeling better

HsM - I bet your choir director loves that...!

Ginny - enjoy the rest

Zel - enjoy the show

Jack - professional development BS?  I feel like teaching is one of those things where either you have it or you don't and if you don't no amount of PD is going to help you =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.3 miles of hills after work yesterday.  Rain threatening, so it was very humid, nearly 100 percent, with dewpoint in the 70s, and the temp was a 'cool' 84 degrees. Can you say "SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT!" - especially for a fat guy like me.  Got a little lost when I took a wrong turn, but it was all good because that just gave me another route to add to my already long mental list of my area running routes - I think I've got pretty close to 100 routes now.  Someday I'll have to write them all down to get the exact amount;  I'm definitely not lacking for running routes around here, lol.   Today is a non-running day and tomorrow morning is my 24th race of 2015.

If you have not figured it out yet - today is May 8th.  On this day in history, Germany surrendered in 1945, ending WWII in the European theater.

Holidays for May 8th:

No Socks Day!

Military Spouse Appreciation Day!   They too serve.  During my 24-year Air Force career, I dragged my oh-so-patient wife all over the world to my various assignments.  She was always there for me, setting up our household, getting us settled in, and having to find a new job every time we moved, and taking care of everything at home whenever I had to deploy.  If you have/had a military spouse, today is the day to give her/him some thankful appreciation!

World Ovarian Cancer Day - Remember those lost; support those battling it

Image result for world ovarian cancer day

World Red Cross/Red Crescent Day

Food holiday:  National Empanada Day and Have A Coke Day  - Empanadas are standard fare in most bars and restaurants.  I will pass on the coke, I like Pepsi better.

Another day, another Empanada (photo courtesy of oasis collections) - with a Coke sign in the background..how appropriate for today, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

D- Varekai. Have you seen it?

Hey pens!

Happy Friday evening. I guess my days are SRD's for a while. Gonna give myself another full week with no runs nor walks. Just when I think, "Okay, I'm moving okay..." Doing! Don't even think about it.

Ginny - yea I like my doctor but she was hard to convince that it was more a bone pain than tendon. I felt like I was twisting her  arm to get an MRI order. I'd just like to know what's wrong, but don't really want the huge MRI Bill. Meanwhile, I'll just keep resting.

Ditched work this afternoon a very long week and spent the afternoon quilting with some of my best buds. Good day. Envious that one of my friends is running in the HM that I won't be. It's a great course, too. Out in the Kansas country, very flat, and fast. Oh well...next year.

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K