Beginners and Beyond

RR - the College Avenue mile (Read 62 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your mile...wow, 6:29! That's my half-a-lap pace, lol.

Weird about the coughing, etc., post-run.  And what's up with not having any water there, sheesh!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

workinprogress11

Great job!  That's a really nice time and you did great with the pacing. Congratulations!

Zelanie

Wow, way to tackle it like a pro!  Glad that it went so well for you!

Little Blue

Great race!

Cyberic

About the throat, I did a 1600m time trial on wednesday (similar to a mile), and my throat hurt at the end. I was coughing a bit. I had forgotten about that until I read your RR. I also faded a bit in the third quarter only to try to make up for lost time in the last quarter. That's probably common for beginners?

Great RR, and congrats on your first mile race!

LRB

I also faded a bit in the third quarter only to try to make up for lost time in the last quarter. That's probably common for beginners?

It's fairly common for a lot of people, and expected.

Great time, congrats!!

music_girl117

Thanks so much everyone.   I appreciate all the kind comments!  And I do encourage everyone to try the mile sometime; just be ready for the post-race coughing, haha.  I already signed up for another - the Fifth Avenue mile in New York in September, can't wait!

I'm not sure how much to worry about quarter splits though.  It's natural to think in terms of splits, but maybe (?) your pace changes that much within a mile in a race of *any* distance and you just don't realize it because your watch only tells you your time elapsed after the mile (or kilometer) is over.  I kind of want to put my watch on 0.4km autosplits again for a 5k and see what's what.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)