Beginners and Beyond

MothAudio (Read 120 times)

slowrunningjulie

I have not posted here much since the RWOL forums blew up, but I heard of Mike's passing through Facebook. I just wanted to add my voice to those who express their condolences to his family and friends. He was a valuable asset to our running community and a great source of support.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

music_girl117

Here is a link to a GoFundMe from Brad (I think he goes by LovetheHalf or LTH on here? Can't remember). The money is for a college find for Mike's sons.

gf.me/u/bdxgei

And keep sharing your stories everybody! We on Team MRT decided that it now stands for Moth's Running Team. (Before when any new member asked what it stood for there was usually some well-meaning but long-winded reply that never arrived at a firm answer. Kind of a "running" joke).

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Here is a link to a GoFundMe from Brad (I think he goes by LovetheHalf or LTH on here? Can't remember). The money is for a college find for Mike's sons.

gf.me/u/bdxgei

And keep sharing your stories everybody! We on Team MRT decided that it now stands for Moth's Running Team. (Before when any new member asked what it stood for there was usually some well-meaning but long-winded reply that never arrived at a firm answer. Kind of a "running" joke).

Can we stickie the link to the GoFundme page for awhile?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Can we stickie the link to the GoFundme page for awhile?

ON it!

Damaris

happylily

When I first joined RWBF back in 2007, Moth was one of the first well established runners there to welcome me. Every day he took the time to advise me, correct me or simply pat me on the back. At the time, I saw him as a very serious man, a man with immense discipline, a man not afraid of hard work, and finally, a man with integrity. This is still how I would describe him today. But Mike also had a softer side to him which he reserved to his sons. His love for his boys was well known and when he was not running, he was most likely doing something with or for them. He loved sharing stories about his boys.

In 2010, I ran my first marathon. His words to me just before the race were: "Run your own race". He knew that as a beginner, I had to learn first about myself and his advice was exactly what I needed. I ran my own race and I made it to the end. As I became a more experienced runner, he helped nurture the more competitive side in me. Suddenly, I was no longer running my own race, I was racing other runners. He used to say that he had a love for his competition, that without them, there would be no race. He would say that it was an honor to race with others. It took me a while to understand what he meant, but I think I get it now.

In 2010, I was scheduled to have a small heart surgery and I was nervous about it. Mike asked his boys to make a card for me. I still have this card in my office and it makes me smile every time I look at it. In a strange twist of fate, a few years later, he went through the same medical problems that had hit me back in 2009. He wrote me privately and asked me for advice. Not once did he display fear or anxiety... He was a rock and he was a proud man. I always admired that about him, even though at times, his pride may have come through as some sort of arrogance. But it wasn't really arrogance, it was just that: pride and a desire to be the best he could be. He was never judgemental with others, never mocked or looked down on others. I think he enjoyed the running community a lot and I like to believe that our company gave him great pleasure all those years, just like his company made us better runners, and also maybe better people.

Anyway, that was my relationship with Mike. We had not been close the last year or so, but he was someone I often thought of. Now I feel like the runner in me has lost a mentor. And my heart aches for his sons.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

When I first joined RWBF back in 2007, Moth was one of the first well established runners there to welcome me. Every day he took the time to advise me, correct me or simply pat me on the back. At the time, I saw him as a very serious man, a man with immense discipline, a man not afraid of hard work, and finally, a man with integrity. This is still how I would describe him today. But Mike also had a softer side to him which he reserved to his sons. His love for his boys was well known and when he was not running, he was most likely doing something with or for them. He loved sharing stories about his boys.

In 2010, I ran my first marathon. His words to me just before the race were: "Run your own race". He knew that as a beginner, I had to learn first about myself and his advice was exactly what I needed. I ran my own race and I made it to the end. As I became a more experienced runner, he helped nurture the more competitive side in me. Suddenly, I was no longer running my own race, I was racing other runners. He used to say that he had a love for his competition, that without them, there would be no race. He would say that it was an honor to race with others. It took me a while to understand what he meant, but I think I get it now.

In 2010, I was scheduled to have a small heart surgery and I was nervous about it. Mike asked his boys to make a card for me. I still have this card in my office and it makes me smile every time I look at it. In a strange twist of fate, a few years later, he went through the same medical problems that had hit me back in 2009. He wrote me privately and asked me for advice. Not once did he display fear or anxiety... He was a rock and he was a proud man. I always admired that about him, even though at times, his pride may have come through as some sort of arrogance. But it wasn't really arrogance, it was just that: pride and a desire to be the best he could be. He was never judgemental with others, never mocked or looked down on others. I think he enjoyed the running community a lot and I like to believe that our company gave him great pleasure all those years, just like his company made us better runners, and also maybe better people.

Anyway, that was my relationship with Mike. We had not been close the last year or so, but he was someone I often thought of. Now I feel like the runner in me has lost a mentor. And my heart aches for his sons.

What a beautiful tribute to Mike and stated so gracefully.

outoftheblue

I just learned of Mike's passing.  The world has lost a wise and gentle soul.  My heart breaks for his boys and family.

Life is good.

Singer who runs a smidge

So sorry to hear this!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mmmmm...beer

Saw it on fb, so sad.  I didn't know Moth that well, just from the forums, but as others have mentioned, he was always positive and supportive, the world needs more people like him.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!