Beginners and Beyond

Finally, FRIDAILIES! (Read 43 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The 2 best miles I have done since November. I felt stronger as the run progressed.

That's great!

Damaris

Cyberic

What?!

Nice ass run by the way! You are going to kill your 5k.

In Daniels' 3rd Ed, in the VDot values chapter, there is a section called Tracking Training Intensities, where he gives a formula that gives a workout a total stress number useful to compare two workouts that were not ran a the same intensity, compare intensities between two seasons, etc.

I started calculating it. Don't know how long I'm going to keep this up though. Not sure it's useful. He says it's useful to complement what we usually keep track of, weekly mileage. A given weekly mileage will give very different training intensity value depending how many minutes were spent at MP, T, I, R. Makes sense.

I suck.

I could not face doing intervals or a 8 mile MP run on the treadmill and I'm too much of a wimp to get outside in the feels like -15 that we were blessed with this week so I just skipped them. I may be jogging the marathon or downgrading to the half.

I did get out there just now for an easy 8 miles in feels like 3 so maybe I only mostly suck?

MTA: Edited for bad typing.

Your brain is too smart. To run you have to be dumb. Stop listening to your brain so much & just do it.

Dave

LRB

In Daniels' 3rd Ed, in the VDot values chapter, there is a section called Tracking Training Intensities, where he gives a formula that gives a workout a total stress number useful to compare two workouts that were not ran a the same intensity, compare intensities between two seasons, etc.

I started calculating it. Don't know how long I'm going to keep this up though. Not sure it's useful. He says it's useful to complement what we usually keep track of, weekly mileage. A given weekly mileage will give very different training intensity value depending how many minutes were spent at MP, T, I, R. Makes sense.

Oh, yeah I flipped right past that page. lol

The only thing I track in regards to Daniels workouts is ease of attaining and holding a given pace during workouts. And even then it's unscientific, so you have me beat in that area.

Cyberic

Oh, yeah I flipped right past that page. lol

The only thing I track in regards to Daniels workouts is ease of attaining and holding a given pace during workouts. And even then it's unscientific, so you have me beat in that area.

Yeah, well I'm a nerd, and being one doesn't make me faster. I am what I am.

And about killing my 5k... hope you're right.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's not a new concept. Gardner & Purdy in their book, Computerized Running Training Programs (1970) assign points to different workouts similar to the way points are assigned in the decathlon so workouts can be compared and intensities adjusted to suit one's fitness level.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

I ran 10 with 2 x 3 miles at 6:59 with a 3 minute recovery between sets. I'd like to think I could run a half at this pace...

Cyberic

I ran 10 with 2 x 3 miles at 6:59 with a 3 minute recovery between sets. I'd like to think I could run a half at this pace...

That translates to a  1:31Tight lippedx half, right? Wow! That would be a great time!

Cyberic

It's not a new concept. Gardner & Purdy in their book, Computerized Running Training Programs (1970) assign points to different workouts similar to the way points are assigned in the decathlon so workouts can be compared and intensities adjusted to suit one's fitness level.

I'm not educated on the subject, but I'm not surprised that it is not new. Running at different speeds can't be compared only by mileage, obviously.

onemile

That translates to a  1:31Tight lippedx half, right? Wow! That would be a great time!

I would like to run < 1:32 because that would be a NYCM qualifying time.  But of course - this was a treadmill workout and I don't know how that will translate when I start doing them outside again.

Cyberic

I would like to run < 1:32 because that would be a NYCM qualifying time.  But of course - this was a treadmill workout and I don't know how that will translate when I start doing them outside again.

Well, I'd like to run < 1:32 because it would mean a 3 min PR!

onemile

Well, I'd like to run < 1:32 because it would mean a 3 min PR!

That too!  2:22 for me.

I don't know why it would be any slower outside, unless you are running in the snow.

And I would love to have that pace for a 10k.

Dave