Beginners and Beyond

Pineapple Express ThursDAILIES (Read 31 times)

bluerun

Super B****

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

My view will be something like this.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

Wait, that's not normal? Seriously, my "easy" pace has always been a good 3 minutes slower than 5k pace. Granted, my 5k is much slower than DavePNW, so it's a bigger slow down for him proportionally.

My 5k pace is 6:25

My easy runs are usually in the 8:30-9 range, and that is, according to McMillan actually my 'Recovery Run' pace

But Addie puts all my easy runs as recovery runs so I figure it doesn't matter

+3:00 minutes per mile would be a 9:30 pace, which I don't really ever do unless I am running with someone who wants to go at that pace

+3:30 would be a 10:00 pace and I don't have the patience for that!

But as long as your fast days are fast enough, I'm not sure if it matters how slow you run on the slow days

I think it's more problematic to have a 30 second pace difference between your easy stuff and your hard stuff

Half Crazy K 2.0

My 5k pace is 6:25

My easy runs are usually in the 8:30-9 range, and that is, according to McMillan actually my 'Recovery Run' pace

But Addie puts all my easy runs as recovery runs so I figure it doesn't matter

+3:00 minutes per mile would be a 9:30 pace, which I don't really ever do unless I am running with someone who wants to go at that pace

+3:30 would be a 10:00 pace and I don't have the patience for that!

So your range if easy is actually the same as mine. 5ks recently have been about 8:45 pace. Easy is around 12:00. So take our 5k pace, multiply by 1.3-1.4 and the easy pace is in he same ballpark.

No more marathons

Another short run after work today.  Got a route I kinda like that comes in right around 5K.

And just like the other times this week, the first mile sux, then each mile after is a little better.

Four runs this week and an overall average of about 1:30 over 5K race pace.

That's about 15 seconds faster than what I averaged for the first six months this year when I was running about double the miles.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

So your range if easy is actually the same as mine. 5ks recently have been about 8:45 pace. Easy is around 12:00. So take our 5k pace, multiply by 1.3-1.4 and the easy pace is in he same ballpark.

Can we then confirm scientifically that I win the suck award today?

I'm gonna go ahead and blame the smoke. Advance warning, this whole weekend will be awful.

McMillan actually tells me to run easy at 8:00-9:00. Typically I am at the high end of that, ~8:45-9:00. The low end is in fact my current MP, so that range is perplexing to me.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Kept waiting for storms to clear out. Never happened. 4 on the treadmill. At least I was in the basement;  may have been a tornado not even 10 miles away.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

McMillan actually tells me to run easy at 8:00-9:00. Typically I am at the high end of that, ~8:45-9:00. The low end is in fact my current MP, so that range is perplexing to me.

Are you comparing what McMillan says your MP is or your actual MP? That might remove some of the perplexity.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

Are you comparing what McMillan says your MP is or your actual MP? That might remove some of the perplexity.

Based on my 5k time, McMillan gives me a MP of 7:25, and easy pace of 7:30-8:29 and my actual MP is 7:29 from my PR

(This is from the McMillan calculator - I think DaveP is referring to what McMillan gave him on his custom plan)

Based on my 5k time, McMillan gives me a MP of 7:25, and easy pace of 7:30-8:29 and my actual MP is 7:29 from my PR

(This is from the McMillan calculator - I think DaveP is referring to what McMillan gave him on his custom plan)

Yeah. My GMP is 7:54. My custom plan gave me easy pace of 7:59-8:59. I don't get how even the faster end of easy is that close to MP. My fast easy is 8:20-8:30.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yeah. My GMP is 7:54. My custom plan gave me easy pace of 7:59-8:59. I don't get how even the faster end of easy is that close to MP. My fast easy is 8:20-8:30.

Going back to when I was at a much higher mileage level and much younger, I plugged my numbers into the McMillan calculator and got results similar to yours in that GMP (6:50) was close to the fast end of LR pace (6:49-7:57). Most of my LRs were in the 7:30-8:00 range. But when I looked at what McMillan said was my marathon equivalent  rather than my marathon goal, MP (6:31) was 20 seconds faster, more in line with what I expected.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

Based on my old HM PR, McMillan gives me an easy pace of 9:30 - 10:30, LR at 9:35 - 10:50 and a MP of 9:42. My last marathon was run at 9:49, thanks to a blowup in the last 6 miles. Running at MP feels really easy for me.  I just have a problem sustaining it past 20 miles. I also have a really hard time doing his faster training paces.

Going back to when I was at a much higher mileage level and much younger, I plugged my numbers into the McMillan calculator and got results similar to yours in that GMP (6:50) was close to the fast end of LR pace (6:49-7:57). Most of my LRs were in the 7:30-8:00 range. But when I looked at what McMillan said was my marathon equivalent  rather than my marathon goal, MP (6:31) was 20 seconds faster, more in line with what I expected.

Maybe this is the issue, I'm too lazy to check - if he based it on my 5k, which predicts a much much faster marathon time than I can actually do. Not sure why you'd do that - I'd think if anything you'd base it on a race that's closer to that pace. Whatevs. I'm not changing my easy pace for him.

Dave