Beginners and Beyond

DE Canal or Washington Crossing (Read 26 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Has anyone done any of the Run Bucks county races? Just wondering about how well organized they are.

KikiniRunner

I ran the Bucks County Marathon in 2014. It was a nice dirt path that was an out and back on the canal path.  There was a lot of shade, but the day was cloudy anyway.  There is a weird stair climb/ descent in the middle of the race.   Logistically, parking was no problem either for packet pick up or the race.  Everything was outside.  Nothing fancy:  no expo or any kind of pomp and circumstance.   Some people like that; I like a bit more of a celebration atmosphere.  There was good food at the end, especially hot soup. The best thing about the race is that as it is an out and back you pass most runners.  As a slower runner, I was impressed and even touched by the encouraging comments from the faster runners as they passed me on their way back.   Now, for the negatives.  There is no crowd support on the course.  It can get lonely as it is a small race.  And there was one unforgivable problem:  they ran out of water at the last several aid stations and volunteers simply abandoned them.  I was slow and had an issue with my knee that required me to walk substantial parts of the last 6 miles, but there were still quite a few runners behind me. I had a handheld bottle so it wasn’t devastating that there was no water, but it should not have happened.  Hopefully things have improved on that front. 

Bottom line:  nice low key race.  Pretty much everything you need and nothing that you don’t.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Thanks for the info. I keep goiong back and forth on the half. I've done plenty of no frills races, but the price is higher than what I would normally pay for a no frills half.

KikiniRunner

I did it mainly because I was looking for a flat course to go sub 5.  I’m 60, 55 when I ran this race, and had an arthritic knee.  Was hoping the dirt path would help.  I had my best training ever, but it was not to be.  I’m not sure if the lack of pomp and circumstance contributed, but that combined with the running out of water means I would not run it again.  In fairness I know 2 runners who absolutely love this race.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I don't think I'm going to be able to tdo the race this coming weekend, but will keep it in mind for the other ones.

It’s a fairly low key race. Flat and fast. If it rains before the race it will muddy up the trail and make it slow and messy. Course is legit. I will be doing it again.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???