Beginners and Beyond

Today's 5K RR - My first overall win (Read 53 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congratulations! That trophy is huge! Are you going to take it to work to display somewhere?

Onemile, don't you have a really cool GSD trophy from a win?

delicate flower

Honestly, the trophy is a bit much even for me.  The medal would have been just fine for the winners.  Smile  I'd have even settled for a hand shake.  It's funny though because I saw the trophies displayed before the race and I sent the wife a text and said "I want one!!!"  Be careful what you wish for!

Congratulations! That trophy is huge! Are you going to take it to work to display somewhere?

It is now prominently displayed in the bay window in the front of our house.  Wife saw it and said "Oh God..."  lol

<3

onemile

Onemile, don't you have a really cool GSD trophy from a win?

I do, but it's not 3 feet tall!

RunningOnSand

Honestly, the trophy is a bit much even for me.  The medal would have been just fine for the winners.  Smile  I'd have even settled for a hand shake.  It's funny though because I saw the trophies displayed before the race and I sent the wife a text and said "I want one!!!"  Be careful what you wish for!

It is now prominently displayed in the bay window in the front of our house.  Wife saw it and said "Oh God..."  lol

LOL Smile Awesome job, baboon!!!!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congratulations, Babs, that's awesome!

SO AWESOME.

You may have thought this could never happen, but with your consistent speed and the amount you race, honestly I think it was inevitable.

Now you better go adopt some kids, so you can have grandkids, so you can tell them the story about the time grandpa won a race.

Dave

Everything about this report was awesome, and I send huge (HUGE I tell you!) congratulations your way.  However, I must point out the best line I've read today: "My gloriously ridiculous overall winner trophy.  IS THIS THING ME OR WHAT?"

I just lost all my coffee, and it. was. worth. it.  You're hilarious.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Race time was 19:30, on an unexpectedly tough little race course.  It's not world class speed, but I'll gladly take the race win since all I can do is race who shows up.  It's my third best 5K time, so I'll take that too.  The field was 138 runners...about average for a small local race 'round these parts.  It was such a cool experience to win a race.  It may not ever happen to me again, but it's awesome to have gotten to do that at least once.

I hung around and talked to other runners after the race.  It's weird how many people wanted to chat with me, offering congrats and just shooting the breeze.  Good stuff.  I collected my trophy, then ran 7 more miles.

The irony is not lost on me that I would not have done this race if I actually made into the Boston Marathon this year.  This was one hell of a consolation prize.

Sometimes the stars just align right. I had something similar happen in a race in Tolland many years ago. Same deal with the other runners wanting to talk with me after, some of them asking for advice as if I were an elite runner. All the fast runners were at a race in Newington that same evening. No trophy though. Only township residents were eligible for awards.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

workinprogress11

That must have felt so awesome to know you were going to win as you came to the finish line. Great job!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Congratulations!  I loved the part about using water stop applause level to judge your lead.  Next best thing after a jumbotron?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on your win! I'm glad you got to enjoy the experience - definitely a nice confidence boost.

Lovely trophy, for sure lol

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

How many runners?

congrats!

300m- 37 sec.

delicate flower

Thanks for all the comments.  I've enjoyed reading them.  Smile

How many runners?

congrats!

Tolland 

Sounds hilly.

<3

Anonymous Guest

Winning is awesome, and it couldn't have happened to a better guy. That trophy tho.......I love it. Big congrats.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Wife saw it and said "Oh God..."  lol

Hilarious. Pretty sure I would have done the same thing and received the same reaction

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???