Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 91, Frosty 5K and 5-Miler (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2091%20Frosty%205K%20and%205%20Miler?sort=2

Before My Start

My 91st  event of 2018 was the Frosty 5K and 5-Miler held on December 24 at 9 a.m. in Olmos Park, and affluent neighborhood in San Antonio, Texas.  With this event done, I beat my all-time high of races done in 2017 (90) by 1 event this year.  Also, this year is the 300th anniversary of the founding of San Antonio - our Tricentennial.  So three of us - my friend Don ivey, who came up with the original idea; my friend Bernadette; and me - decided we should shoot for 300 races completed by the end of the year.  I was a little short of 100 due to a hospital stay in May and some medical issues, but got 92 done.  Bernadette did 104 for the year and Don did 108 for the year, giving us a grand total of 303 races for the year, so we made it!  Happy Tricentennial San Antonio!

This event was hosted by Alamo 180, a local personal training-and-fitness facility - kind of like Crossfit, but a whole lot better than Crossfit in my personal opinion.  The business owner has kindly let us invade her space for this event for the past few mornings of Christmas Eve and the start and finish was in front of her store.  This event also raised funds and needed items - gently used running shoes, running and walking gear, etc - for the Street2Feet program, a local fitness progam to help the homeless.  You can read about Street2Feet here:

<cite>www.street2feet.org/</cite>

9 a.m. start time.  Weather was cloudy-and-overcast, no sunshine, with the temps around 50 degrees at start time, so not too bad; but we ARE in South Texas and used to temps around 60 or so at this time of year, so most of us are definitely cold-weather wimps, lol, and some did have base layers, etc., on.  I got onsite with about 45 minutes to go and got a few pre-start photos.

Various participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.

Two members of Team RWB San Antonio chapter, a local veterans group that is part of the national Team RWB.

photo IMG_1614_zpskzeaz5yp.jpg

No smiles...cuz, you know, from the shade, you can tell their part-time gig is Men In Black agents.  Wink

photo IMG_1615_zpsafipcasm.jpg

Lana H. (right) and friend.   Lana is the driving force behind the Street2Feet program.  And also one of the best-est people I have ever had the privilege of calling friend.

photo IMG_1616_zpspaotbodv.jpg

photo IMG_1617_zpswft3vgeg.jpg

photo IMG_1619_zpshtxwiuen.jpg

photo IMG_1620_zpsghssu1ko.jpg

photo IMG_1621_zpsbfw0q0k6.jpg

photo IMG_1622_zpsa4tunca3.jpg

photo IMG_1623_zps08jtzkfw.jpg

photo IMG_1624_zpsqhgs3q2z.jpg

photo IMG_1625_zps45njivwp.jpg

photo IMG_1626_zpsogw0nf70.jpg

These two speedy friends of mine did the 5 miler.

photo IMG_1627_zpsrhtradb6.jpg

photo IMG_1628_zpss2vwsonj.jpg

On The Course

As said, start in front of Alamo 180.  Flat start, then a right turn onto Olmos Street, which was not really a 'hill' more like a long up incline.  At the top we went around/through a traffic circle and then into the Olmos Park neighborhood, passing by some very nice houses. To give you an idea of how nice some of these houses are....this is the neighborhood where local billionaire Red McCombs has a home.  Nice wide streets, so plenty of maneuvering room and since it was Christmas Eve, very little traffic.  After doing a loop through Olmos Park, we then went up the only real hill on the course - again, more like a very long incline; not steep but it went on up for a ways - then a left turn and back to the traffic circle  and then back to the finish line the way we had started out.  I ended up catching my friend Donald and we ran in together, finishing in 36 minutes and change.

photo IMG_1630_zpscvnpz5f0.jpg

photo IMG_1631_zpsac3jvcn7.jpg

photo IMG_1632_zpsuq1gf15j.jpg

"here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, running down this paved lane..."

photo IMG_1633_zpsipgqrg08.jpg

photo IMG_1634_zps0f4xedx6.jpg

photo IMG_1635_zpst6g3yobi.jpg

photo IMG_1636_zpstkaxc03n.jpg

photo IMG_1638_zpsuw2qnfxp.jpg

photo IMG_1639_zps5x8nhilh.jpg

photo IMG_1641_zpsrzugpkch.jpg

About Mile 2.  Santa is making progress.

photo IMG_1642_zpsxtx1xirn.jpg

My friend George back there with his arms raised

photo IMG_1643_zpsuvy3kqxx.jpg

photo IMG_1644_zpsec3gjwas.jpg

This was our long incline.  Once we got up this, we turned left and had about  1/2 mile to go to the finish.

photo IMG_1645_zpssz4zi0hr.jpg

Photo op on the incline, lol. 

photo IMG_1646_zps04l3myio.jpg

When we got to that house at the top on the left - you can just make it out, top looks like a triangle, we rounded the curve and then had  part 2 of the climb, but a much shorter incline

photo IMG_1647_zpshv1kfyvh.jpg

Looking back behind me down the incline

photo IMG_1648_zpspfvehns6.jpg

After that, back to the finish.  I thought I would make about 34 minutes, but stopped for a bit at the neighborhood Fire Station to shake hands with two firefighters out in front cheering us on, and thank them for what they do.  Then it was back to the finish, ending with 36-and change.

After My Finish

Got some water and changed into a dry shirt - I sweat like crazy when I run, even in cold weather, lol, and the wind was blowing just a tad, so that dry shirt felt good - and then got a few after photos.

Happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_1649_zpsy6fszphv.jpg

Caught up with my friend here - 70+ and going strong - and we 'raced' to the finish line together and pretty much got in the same time, with me about 2 seconds ahead.

photo IMG_1651_zps61f443cm.jpg

Santa made it to the finish with no Reindeer help. 

photo IMG_1652_zpsvlrjqlvl.jpg

photo IMG_1653_zps4oyi4qlh.jpg

Three smiles out of four ain't bad.  It is a big joke with our running community that nobody can get a photo of Arturo (far left) smiling...and plenty have tried.

photo IMG_1654_zps4nhp369b.jpg

They tried to get Doggie to face the camera.  I told them no worries, that is my best side too, lol.

photo IMG_1656_zpsqiziohhk.jpg

photo IMG_1658_zpsaa1k5zub.jpg

photo IMG_1659_zpsuxmj1qdi.jpg

photo IMG_1660_zpsnxht5tzy.jpg

photo IMG_1661_zpsgys496h2.jpg

photo IMG_1662_zps1df08mto.jpg

photo IMG_1664_zpsieeklsvw.jpg

The little one was more interested in the dog beside me, lol.    The lady is our lovely host for this event - Alamo 180 owner.  Super nice lady, really good people.

photo IMG_1665_zpsr5wgm8so.jpg

photo IMG_1666_zpsh5tlwtt7.jpg

photo IMG_1667_zpszskuc9oc.jpg

My friend, Bethany below is a runner and Triathlete and has completed the Ironman.

photo IMG_1668_zpse533m0oi.jpg

photo IMG_1670_zpss8tkvtnu.jpg

This is a very speedy couple and their kids run too.  And the distances these two run sometimes, good grief!  They've done a few ultras, if I remember correctly.

photo IMG_1671_zpsp5ljq4hv.jpg

And so, with friends below, I wish you all a happy holiday season and hope all of you had a great Christmas.

photo IMG_1669_zpsfecduu2l.jpg

Epilogue

This is a very nicely organized event for a very good cause.  Very nicely laid out course, lots of  friendly people, several of them in various type of outfits for the occasion.  Only rude guy I saw was one driver who I guess was not happy about us at the start area being near the road he was driving on and laid on his horn as we went by, flipping us a "Grinch" finger signal.  All of we participants pretty much just laughed it off, and joked about it.  Anyway, this is one fun event that has become a Christmas Eve "tradition" for a lot of local runners and walkers.  I think this one has been going on now for 4 years - I may be mistaken in that, it may be more years than that - and I have done the last 3.  Will continue to do this one too as long as it goes on, as long as I am able,  and certainly would recommend this one.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt