Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Coming Soon Near You (Read 43 times)

Zelanie

Morning, dailies!  I am planning to run whatever the running club wants to run this evening.  Maybe 6ish?

LRB- Morning!

Dave- I am so sorry you've had a setback.  I know with my knee at one point I felt like I was back to the beginning and had made no progress, but that turned out to be only a very short setback.  I am hoping you'll go in for a second opinion.

Phil- Don't you still have quite a few days off still coming?

Oski- Feel better!

Step- Will this do?

D- I love that one! Smile

Burrrrn- When I've donated blood, I noticed the biggest effect the day after, but my pace suffered for the next week.  It makes my pace slower for the same perceived effort, for sure.

Marjorie- Nice rainy run!

Jess- Hope the group run goes well!

Scotty- Hiya!

meaghansketch

Good morning Dailies!

Dave-  Sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you're making the right choice.  Hope you come back stronger.  Marathons aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Baboon- nice run!

Oski- Sorry to hear and I hope your back improves soon!  Glad you didn't register for the tri.

StepbyStep- Hope you can get some decent sleep soon.  Nice job gutting out the miles even though you weren't feeling it.

Damaris- Big grin Nice 11!

Burrrrn- Nice pace run!  No idea about the blood thing.  I was barred for a long time due to living in France as a child, so I don't really have experience with it.

Marjorie- Nice miles!

lilac- enjoy the group run!

Scotty- nice run!

I was apprehensive about my tempo workout today, it was my first continuous tempo run (as opposed to tempo intervals/cruise intervals) in a LONG time, and I didn't know what kind of pace to aim for.  Training plan called for 4 miles @ 10K pace, which is probably reasonable when you're doing 5:00 miles but not when you're doing closer to 8:00 miles.  My 10K pace should be around 7:50; Jack Daniels adjusted T pace for 30-35 minutes is 8:13-8:16; I decided to split the difference and aim for right around 8:00.  My route's a little hilly so I expected some variation with my splits.

Splits were:

8:09(uphill)

7:49(downhill)

8:01

8:03

Total 7.7 miles.

Felt great and energizing!

ETA: This was my first workout, counting warmup and cooldown, where the whole run averaged under 9:00 pace! Big grin Big grin

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lol @ Damaris' and Scotty's cartoons.

SadSad to the injured forumites

I tried KT taping my knee today. It actually felt really good. I wish I had done it throughout my ITBS debacle. 4 easy miles today. Was supposed to be a fartlek but with hill workout yesterday and race on Saturday I decided to keep it almost completely easy, threw in just 2 strides during the last mile.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

DavePNW

Dave and I are going to start our own forum and call it "Limping Behind".   All injured folks welcome to join.

FYP.

Dave

Ric-G

what's up lrb?

dave - sorry to hear that...second opinion?

baboon - new clothes there...nice

oski - at least no wasted fees

step - gonna go get coffee too

D - glad the asthma is better

brrr - interested too about the blood and running

marj - nice rainy run

lilac - go hit that bike

scotty - national failures day...love it

zel - have a good club run

meagan - great job on the splits

kristin - nice job with easy miles

8 miles @7:34 with some more easy. kids started school and younger son's teacher seems far better than last year which was a challenge, he was smiling about it. i've also heard good things about her - so fingers crossed. have a great day all.

marathon pr - 3:16

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Seriously when we build our shop out on the property (hopefully in the next 2-3 years), I am going to make sure there is a kitchen with a really good quality coffee maker in there. Our shop now, has no room for a coffee maker and it sucks because I love coffee.

Probably a walk later today for me, another BEAUTIFUL day and the temps haven't even reached 80, heck I don't they it's reached 75 yet but I cannot add another run in damn it (though I really want to ). Tomorrow I've got 4-5 miles so I need a bit of a rest, got to make sure I am well rested for my 10 miler Sunday.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Probably will not be visiting the dailies much, but hard to stay away from this place completely; will likely continue to make the usual smartass comments on other threads, as appropriate.

Everyone is different but through my two stints on the bench, 5 and 7 weeks respectively (in the same year!), I posted in the dailies and on the forums more than those who were not injured.

I found that if at least I could not run, being in the mix helped immensely.  I also come up with great training ideas during downtime but as they say, YMMV.  Hang tough man.

Boon, shopping for shirts is so easy for me now,  I just look for the S (I like to show off my boobies) in the sea of XL, XXL, 3XL etc.

Burrrn, the last time I tried to donate, I could not fill a quarter of the damn bag.  They sent me packing, hmph!

O, make sure the door is left unlocked on that place, as anyone of us could end up there with the very next step we take!

Congrats Meaghan!  Steady state tempo runs are harder than any other workout I do because they last so damn long.  Nice job killing it!

Supp Step, D, Marj, Jess, Zel, FS, Krisitin, Scot T, and Ric!

As for me, I set out for 7.5 easy w/ strides and once again found myself fighting the urge to dip below 8:00 miles once I warmed up.

I do not know for the life of me what the hell is going on with that, but I am going to drink more tonight and that should take care of that stupid shit!

As a result, I knew my strides were going to be fast and boy were they!  At one point, I ran 128 meters in 23 seconds (5:04 pace) and 80 meters in 15 seconds (5:19).

There were 9 total and once I got into the third stride from there on out they all felt free, loose, and fast...shit, I need to go race somewhere!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I agree with LRB, Dave.  I find that even though when not running, the camaraderie of good running friends gets me through.  Hope you stick around.  Whine ahead, we don't care.

Damaris

Will run for scenery.

Dave and I are going to start our own forum and call it "Running Behind".   All injured folks welcome to join.

Running Behinds !  Sweet !

I hope you guys get the pain thing straightened out.

Dave : I think time off from running is probably a good idea.  Give the legs a good time to "reset".  I'd say use the time to do things like strength training, yoga, hiking, etc that might take care of any imbalances.  Keep looking for someone that had exactly the symptoms you have and find out what worked for them.

I had two "career-ending injuries" that turned out to be trivial to fix.  Calf pain : adhesions that were fixed w/ 3 sessions of ART.  Knee pain : strength imbalance fixed by strength training (quads!).  Even though the solutions were simple, finding them was not.  You have to be persistent and keep looking !

And whether you feel like posting or not, don't ever feel like you're out of our exclusive little clique. Wink

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Will run for scenery.

AFM, I've got the Pike's Peak Marathon on Sunday and I'm having a weird time getting psyched up for it.  Usually I'm on pins & needles, but this time I have to keep reminding myself that it's THIS WEEKEND!  (It doesn't help that Monday is the end of my 8 week summer break.)

Training-wise I feel great about my endurance (hours on hoof), altitude tolerance, and downhill running skillz, but I know I could use way, way more base running miles and quality workouts.

Anyway, it's my first time for this race, so a PR is pretty likely (weather & injuries do happen....)

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

DaveP, sorry you are still having injury issues.  Wishing you a return to 100% health in no time!  Hope you can get it all figured out!  Don't be a stranger.  And what Damaris said.  You have lots of support here.

Nice running, Phil. Enjoy those slim clothes on your rack!

So sorry about the back issues, Oski!  I feel for you!  Mine is kinda behaving so far, knock on wood.   Can slow people join the group too?  I'm not injured but I'm always running behind everyone else.

Sleep-running for 10 miles, Step, that is pretty darn talented!

Yeah, Damaris!  Kick asthma ass!

Good luck with that upcoming long run, Andrew. Can't give you any advice on the blood donor thing and running, cuz the Blood Powers That Be never allow me to donate blood when I try to. I am 'ineligible' , I guess due to all the medical issues I had and stuff I am taking, and so forth.  It kind of annoys them too, since my blood type is A Neg and they apparently need more donors with that type.   Maybe annoys is the wrong word, maybe it disappoints them.  So I just don't even bother going any more, I've been told 'no' so many times over the years.

10.6 for me. In the rain. Nice to not be as hot.  Marjorie, you're always hot, sweetie. Big grin  Congrats on your miles, nice to run in a cooling rain.

Enjoy the group run, Lilac!  Hope you like all the people in the new group.

Happy running with your group too, Zelanie!

Nice running, Meaghan, dang, you are speedy!  If we ever have an FE at some race or other, I will see you before the race and after, but never on the course, lol, as fast as you are.

Probably sensible, Kristin, to have an easy day today after hills yesterday.  Isn't the rule of thumb not to do two hard days in a row - and wouldn't fartleks counts as another 'hard' day?  Unless you're LRB or Damaris or Dave, of course.  Since they have 'super-powers' they're allowed to do hard days in a row.  Joking

School has started already, Ric?  Summer is not even over yet!  Glad your son's teacher, it seems, will work out.

Send some of your weather our way, FreeSoul!  What do you make in your shop?  I took shop in Jr. High..everything I made turned out to be an ash-tray. Joking  No "craft" talent at all, lol.  When I started High School, I told my counselor I didn't want to take shop, I wanted to take Home Ec.  She was like...'What?  It's traditional for guys to take shop, girls to take Home Ec.'  I said "Yeah, but I assume after I get out of high school I am going to be living on my own for a while, so wouldn't it be to my advantage to know how to cook, sew, etc.?"  So she let me take Home Ec all through high school.  And all my guy friends and fellow football and baseball team players laughed at me and teased me that first year....at first....until they realized I was the only guy in the class with 30 girls...amazing after that how many of my buddies showed up in Home Ec class the rest of our high school years.... Big grin

jj, good luck with your marathon and running up my ancestor's mountain!  Well, in all fairness, it probably should have some native american name instead of my ancestor's name, since some unknown to history Native American probably saw it long before ole Zeb ever did.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

Zelanie - That looks just about right! Thanks!
                          FreeSoul - Those little Keurigs (and cheaper off-brands) only take up a small corner of a desk, though they only heat enough water for one cup at time. But it might be better than nothin'!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

StebyStep-SH, my desk is freaking small and what room I have is covered by papers. If something is close to the edge, Dorian will have it.

Scotty I wish I could, I hope we don't go back up into the 90's for the rest of the year.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Oh and the Garmin is still wonky. No email from Garmin yet. But new one is on the way. I know Garmin will fix it. It is under warranty. I will just give it to dh when fixed. His 205 is getting old.

Marjorie

StepbyStep-SH

Send some of your weather our way, FreeSoul!  What do you make in your shop?  I took shop in Jr. High..everything I made turned out to be an ash-tray. Joking  No "craft" talent at all, lol.  When I started High School, I told my counselor I didn't want to take shop, I wanted to take Home Ec.  She was like...'What?  It's traditional for guys to take shop, girls to take Home Ec.'  I said "Yeah, but I assume after I get out of high school I am going to be living on my own for a while, so wouldn't it be to my advantage to know how to cook, sew, etc.?"  So she let me take Home Ec all through high school.  And all my guy friends and fellow football and baseball team players laughed at me and teased me that first year....at first....until they realized I was the only guy in the class with 30 girls...amazing after that how many of my buddies showed up in Home Ec class the rest of our high school years.... Big grin

Scotty, you've always been a dog, haven't you? Wink A very, very wise, ahead-of-your time dog!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.