Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies on the 14th (Read 39 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Is that your longest ride of the week? Sounds like a badass way to start the week!

I hope to get in at least a 4 hour ride this weekend, but the weather isn't looking favorable.  It did feel good to jumpstart the week.

Runner with a riding problem.

A week or two ago, I mentioned Hansons and Pfitzinger/Douglas differed on tapering.  SIAR's note reminded me they differ on recover too.  P/D has two days of rest after a marathon and then starts some running again.  Hansons say no running for 3-5 days after a marathon, and even full rest during that time, and avoid running for 2 weeks though other activities are allowed.  That's a fairly stark contrast.

My plan is to run after work, but plans like that are susceptible to contact with the enemy (i.e. the commute home).

Ha, I read both Hansons & Pfitz books, but I don't even remember the recovery plans. For me it's all dependent on how I feel. There were times I've taken 2 days off and started ramping back up. Right now I'm on 2 weeks so far. 

And your second point is sort of how I eventually settled on running in the mornings. Not necessarily the commute, but in the evenings, there is a much greater likelihood of some kind of excuses conflicting time commitments. Generally fewer people/things are competing for your time from 5-7 AM. Other than Mr. Sandman.

Dave

in the evenings, there is a much greater likelihood of some kind of excuses conflicting time commitments. Generally fewer people/things are competing for your time from 5-7 AM. Other than Mr. Sandman.

It’s pretty much always a bad idea to delay a run til the evening. I’m always so anxious all day when I do

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It’s pretty much always a bad idea to delay a run til the evening. I’m always so anxious all day when I do

I try to minimize how often I miss family meals, so weekday runs have to be pretty early, but I agree they are the better option.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Ack!  I fell asleep on the train and when I woke up my throat was sore and my ears hurt.  I think the cold that my wife and son have had for a week may have laid me low.

Italiana626

The Latecomer

I'd say that's more a matter of personal preference and lifestyle. My weekday runs are always after work, in downtown Charleston. It's super convenient and a beautiful area, whereas my neighborhood is not conducive to running at all (very small, no sidewalks connecting to other neighborhoods); I'm single and my kids are grown and gone, so no reason to rush home and cook dinner; and most of the time I really look forward to my after work miles - 4.13 miles today - to shake off some of the stress of the day. To each, his/her own.

Fred - Hope you don't come down with it.

Nice job to the swimmers and bikers!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'd say that's more a matter of personal preference and lifestyle. My weekday runs are always after work, in downtown Charleston. It's super convenient and a beautiful area, whereas my neighborhood is not conducive to running at all (very small, no sidewalks connecting to other neighborhoods); I'm single and my kids are grown and gone, so no reason to rush home and cook dinner; and most of the time I really look forward to my after work miles - 4.13 miles today - to shake off some of the stress of the day. To each, his/her own.

I've always preferred the afternoon as well. It made a nice break between work and getting home. It was easy to stop at the university track and either begin my run there or run a track workout. Nice trails on campus also.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

Evening runner/exerciser. I am not a morning person. At all. I've been getting up the same time for work for 20 years now and still not used to is and would totally sleep in without the alarm. Anything before work is not gonna happen, aside from the few days we have a 2 hour delay.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My runs are also at night/late afternoon.  There is no fucking way I can run at 3am which is around the time I need to run before being court ready for work by 7am.

My husband convinced me to run part of my run with him outside.  I am sorry I did that, as the humidity was worse than yesterday.  4.5 with him, the rest, including the 2 @ MP on the TM.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Strength training.

Evening runner/exerciser. I am not a morning person. At all. I've been getting up the same time for work for 20 years now and still not used to is and would totally sleep in without the alarm. Anything before work is not gonna happen, aside from the few days we have a 2 hour delay.

Also an evening runner here. I run in the morning out of necessity only. I would absolutely sleep until 9am if I didn’t have an alarm.

I don’t have any trouble getting my run in after work - it’s just part of my schedule. I walk in the door, go straight upstairs and change, and go on my run.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Coastal

My weekday runs are mostly after work.  Mornings just haven't worked out as I'm more of a night person.  In the summers and weekends I'll often run mid to late morning.

Leg work followed by an easy 6.3 miles on the road.  Fog had come in and it was perfect running weather.

sdWhiskers

I prefer to run in the morning before work. Haven't set an alarm in a few years. Aren't I too young for my body to just wake up at 5am everyday? 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I prefer to run in the morning before work. Haven't set an alarm in a few years. Aren't I too young for my body to just wake up at 5am everyday? 

I wish 5:00 am was early enough for me to run before work when I'm not working from home.  :-)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wish 5:00 am was early enough for me to run before work when I'm not working from home.  :-)

^ This.

Damaris