Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

LRB

LRB and Cyberic, I now feel much better about walking the rest breaks of my intervals--at best I am just under an 8mm pace for them. Running just never seems to allow me to recover.

The key is to run at target effort for the duration of the interval, not just a part of it. If that means walking your recoveries, that's perfectly fine.

LRB

3.5 on the TM.

It's not what you're used to but it's gotta be nice to break a sweat at least.

bluerun

Super B****

I swam.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

The key is to run at target effort for the duration of the interval, not just a part of it. If that means walking your recoveries, that's perfectly fine.

The few times I was training with a group, most were stopping completely for the rest periods. Since the rest periods were time based, it was ok (a 200 meters rest can take very long if you're standing still Smile ) . The coach said to aim for active rest periods (jog or walk) but if people stopped it was ok too, as the target was what you did during the intervals, not between them.

Cyberic

I swam.

If it were me, I'd say 'I didn't sink'

LRB

The few times I was training with a group, most were stopping completely for the rest periods. Since the rest periods were time based, it was ok (a 200 meters rest can take very long if you're standing still Smile ) . The coach said to aim for active rest periods (jog or walk) but if people stopped it was ok too, as the target was what you did during the intervals, not between them.

Yeah my premium has always been on the interval, what I do doing the recovery is mostly secondary. That said, when I can do a workout in its entirety without walking a single step, it's a good feeling.

LRB

I swam.

Your excitement level is too much for me to handle.

How far? How hard? Did you like it? Give us deets FFS.

happylily

You have been chatty today my little peeps...

10 miles, 7:39 pace overall. It's starting to feel cold in the garage. 14C (57F), brrrrr..... (I'm joking of course, it's actually perfect)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

And if it were me I'd say "I sunk, but I didn't drown."

ETA it's sank, not sunk  That's one that always trips me up.

happylily

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

And if it were me I'd say "I sunk, but I didn't drown."

ETA it's sank, not sunk  That's one that always trips me up.

Well, I didn't do that either.  It would be sad if I did, since I could practically swim before I could walk!!  (This is not to say I swim well.  I don't.  But I can swim far without sinking, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y.)

Your excitement level is too much for me to handle.

How far? How hard? Did you like it? Give us deets FFS.

1825 yards, not hard because I don't like to swim hard... I don't actually consider it exercise.  I know it technically is, but I swim because I find it relaxing to be in the water.  Of course, my preference is water that isn't so frigid that I can't just float along, but beggars can't be choosers...

Did you like it?

Since I didn't have to share a lane today... yes.  (I don't play well with others.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

But I can swim far without sinking, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Big grin

GinnyinPA

Went out with the Beer Runners again tonight.  Since I was trying to keep up with the lead group, so I wouldn't get lost in the warehouse district in the dark, I ran a bit faster than HM pace for the four miles.  I'm counting it as a tempo run.  Long Trail Pumpkin Ale afterwards.

Zelanie

Also, I tend to get them in races if I am running downhill (too jarring) 

I finally noticed the downhill running connection during my last marathon, because everything was pancake flat except for the couple of hills, and I wasn't running very fast, so I finally realized it was just the downhill itself causing the side stitch.  I tried to switch my breathing to the other foot for the downhill part, and either that helped or the hill ended and it got better.

Zelanie

I have actually stopped waiting for my Garmin to find a satellite. I just press the start button & go. It picks up a signal eventually, and generally seems to compensate for the beginning portion. If it's off a little, so what. I don't know why it took me so long to start doing this, it has made life so much easier.

I think this works if you have a model with the internal accelerometer.