Beginners and Beyond

Cyber RUNDay Penguins (Read 16 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I guess I'm running today because I'm currently at 99.5 miles for November =P

I saw a cyber Monday deal for registration for the NJ Marathon.  It is 20% off for today with code: NJMCYB16MON and that makes it pretty tempting.  It is already a cheap marathon -- $100.  This brings it down to $80 which might make me bite.  The start is a relatively short drive from my parent's house -- maybe 30 minutes or so.  But maybe I really should just focus on speed for the spring.  I have several halves that I want to run.  Also, considering I lost two toenails running NYC maybe a spring marathon isn't the best idea.  I would like to have toenails for the summer months when it is sandal season.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning a RD for me today.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Also bought a pair of Saucony Triump ISO shoes for $53.45 on runningwarehouse.  They have 15% off of clearance today with code FB15D... I got them in an 8.5 rather than an 8 (the current size of all of my shoes) to maybe help with the lost toenail problem =P

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an RD.

Thanks for the shoutouts!  I had a good race, not great. I had a side stitch for the last 8 miles of the race (if you remember, this race always gives me that, it seems) and I had to walk a bit every mile to make the pain from the side lessened.  Still, I got a 15 minute course PR and 4 minutes off my true PR on a hot and sunny day.  I cannot complain about that!

My Pilates instructor left for Bali and will be out until the 17th, sniff.  Not sure what to do with myself.  Maybe some kickboxing while I wait?

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  I'll run something between 1 and 6 tonight.

GinnyinPA

Morning all.  I'm not sure whether today will be a rest day or short recovery run.  Probably rest though the legs don't feel too sore, just a bit stiff.  We may go out to a movie (The Martian) this afternoon.

Jill - Getting a larger size in the Triumph is a good idea.  I tried them on in the running store and my usual size felt snug.  When is NJ marathon?  You could do both your HMs and the marathon.

D - maybe the daiquiri came back to haunt you?  Sorry about the cramp.  I get that just drinking water when I run, but usually only for a few minutes.

PAD - enjoy your rest day.

Z - have a good streak run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha, I don't think so.  I have drank way more than that before races.  This is the race where I get it the most.  It's rolling hills, headwinds, and something in there that always makes my side stitch pop out.  Plus the rib out of place, don't forget that.

Damaris

From the Internet.

Congrats on a good race even with the stitch, D!

My foot was all fucked up yesterday but feels a lot better today. I, of course, had a panic because the symptoms were similar to something like sesamoiditis, which would be a bitch to get rid of, but today it just feels like the aftereffects of a cramp somewhere in my arch that happened during/after my race when I would have been too jacked up on adrenaline to notice it - no more ball-of-foot pain, just feels like it could use a good stretch. Gonna try a few miles later, maybe with a metatarsal pad in place.