Beginners and Beyond

Icicle Creek Gorge Trail Run in Leavenworth, Washington (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

I went to Wenatchee, Washington, with my wife from Jul 29 - August 4, for her 40th high school reunion. During that week I did manage to get some running in, including a 5K on July 31,  a 4.2 mile run on August 1, a 3.2 mile run on August 1 in Confluence State Park, and a really wild trail run at Icicle Creek Gorge Trail on August 2.   These runs were quite a change from San Antonio as the morning temps were usually in the low to middle 60s......sweeeet!   .

First off, it was an adventure just getting to this park, lol.  First I had to drive to Leavenworth - not bad at all, about 30 minutes from Wenatchee - and then I had to drive 26 miles down Icicle Road - one of the most WINDING roads I've ever been on - and then SUDDENLY the pavement ended and I was on a very uneven bumpy gravel road - and more winding around, lol.  FINALLY I found the park.   Was the drive worh it?  Oh yeah, baby!  Below are some the photos I took on Icicle Gorge Trail.

This trail is supposed to be an 'easy' trail for all levels - the River Loop Trail is what it is called - and goes for supposedly 4 miles.  4 miles my butt, lol.   More like 4.5 or so cuz  I was running pretty well and knew I was not doing 12-minute miles.  I still had a piece to go when I hit the 4-mile mark.  Even so, I pressed on...and this was a splendid trail I would love to do again someday.  Nice views of the gorge and river; beautiful wooded area in Wenatchee National Forest.  Very popular too, I encountered quite a few people on the trail.

On the drive to the trail....

photo 083_zpsrrz0m1rh.jpg

photo 084_zpstyefgexd.jpg

On the trail at last - that drive getting here was something, lol.

photo 087_zpsqexekstm.jpg

photo 088_zpsztz8kh73.jpg

photo 089_zpsevmsfrcy.jpg

photo 090_zpswccvgvwx.jpg

photo 091_zps6kfvft3p.jpg

This was the first bridge I crossed.  On this loop I crossed a total of about 5 bridges

photo 093_zps34egqjxp.jpg

photo 095_zpsmzsjetmq.jpg

photo 096_zps9eyedpki.jpg

photo 097_zpsqvknfdef.jpg

Encountered these nice ladies at the trail-head and again on the trail

photo 098_zps57kxa91s.jpg

Another bridge to cross

photo 099_zpsvqjjenkg.jpg

Creek is a bit quieter up this way...and VRY clear water, not like our San Antonio rivers, lol.

photo 103_zpsqfix1hia.jpg

photo 100_zpsuutnkxix.jpg

photo 101_zpsjpm5lcax.jpg

photo 102_zpseyzyoxvb.jpg

photo 104_zpskrqoapuw.jpg

photo 105_zpsjvh2ksvz.jpg

photo 106_zpsfzk4nvrv.jpg

A paved bridge to cross.  This threw me off at first because the trail ended at the road - and me being directionally challenged I thought I'd gotten myself lost one more time again, lol.  But I finally figured out to cross the bridge and the trail loop continued on the other side...duhhhh....

photo 107_zpskmagia74.jpg

photo 109_zpscpbwqexe.jpg

photo 110_zpsd2kvpfvq.jpg

Umm, yeah...the edge of the trail was RIGHT there.  Me and heights don't always do so well, so I was hugging the left side of the trail, lol, and hoping I didn't end up doing a "Dudley Moore" in the movie "10" and go careening down the hill.

photo 111_zps6yzjezgu.jpg

Oh yeah, THIS bridge looks safe for a klutz like me, lol.  I managed to make it across without falling off. 

photo 112_zpsqs1ct6x3.jpg

Through these beautiful trees...

photo 113_zpssvqcblc2.jpg

...and then I was back to the parking area....safe!  What a beautiful run.  This trail is pretty non-technical; if I can do it, anyone can, lol. There are a few 'edgy spots' along the way, but for the most part, just a great trail, and a beautiful place to run or walk or hike.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

What a beautiful run!  Thanks for the great pics.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Very pretty!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Looks like a great place to run and really pretty.

Singer who runs a smidge

You're making me homesick with all the WA pics, Scotty!!  Did you have any smoke issues from the fire near Yakima?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You're making me homesick with all the WA pics, Scotty!!  Did you have any smoke issues from the fire near Yakima?

No, it was very nice and clear air, thankfully.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt