Beginners and Beyond

Cy's Boston Marathon RR (Read 76 times)

I have heard multiple people I know set PBs there also.

My only thought about the event (not the course) is that depending on your wave/ corral placement it might be difficult to run much faster due to the insane runner density.

I was slated to run a solid 25 sec per mile faster than my BQ time. And though I didn't have it for the race (not a clue why yet) I found it tough to stay even 10 sec per mile faster just because the amount of weaving that I had to do.  Which in turn adds distance...

So aside from it being the Boston Marathon, and the course itself, based on everything else, would you run it again?  I can see why people view Boston as the 'mecca of marathons' (it doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own), but at the same time, for the money, less crowds, more picturesque scenery, there are many other choices out there.

I ask this, because after running Chicago and Tucson, I compared the two and asked myself which one would I do again?  Tucson was the hands down choice, for the reasons that I highlighted.  Having never been to Chicago, the city seemed fun, and I'd go again, but not to run a marathon.

Cyberic

So aside from it being the Boston Marathon, and the course itself, based on everything else, would you run it again?  I can see why people view Boston as the 'mecca of marathons' (it doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own), but at the same time, for the money, less crowds, more picturesque scenery, there are many other choices out there.

I ask this, because after running Chicago and Tucson, I compared the two and asked myself which one would I do again?  Tucson was the hands down choice, for the reasons that I highlighted.  Having never been to Chicago, the city seemed fun, and I'd go again, but not to run a marathon.

Maybe you were asking slymoon this question, since you quoted his message, but I'll answer anyways.

I do not like very big fields, I don't care much for crowd support (I don't mind it, but I don't feel like I get extra energy from it), and I don't like to travel for races as they are expensive and I don't get to sleep in my bed the night before.

I went to Boston because:

- I could (I qualified)

- Check it off my bucket list (although it wasn't a dream of mine, it's nice to brag about)

- Everyone I know who had run it was confident it was worth it

So I went.

Although I've never run Chicago, so I don't *know*, but I'd say the difference is in Boston you feel something else. Yes the big crowds, the extra money and all that you've mentioned is true, and I might never run it again because of that, but I'm very glad I did run it.

Not because I saw the mecca of Marathons, not because I took part of it, but because in a weird way I felt part of it. All these runners I was seeing around town made it something special to me, and I was one of the runners they saw that made it special to them. Everywhere I went, I was one of the runners that was going to run the marathon.

I don't know if you feel like that for other marathons. Maybe. But I definitely felt it in Boston, and to me, that is the difference. I did not just run a marathon, I was part of the 120th edition of the most prestigious marathon in the world.

The race itself is just another race, to me, and is not what made the experience special. So will I run it again? Maybe. To be quite honest, I do not know if the extra cash and all we've already mentioned is worth going back and experience that again. But knowing what I know, I would definitely run it once.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

That is not an easy question to answer.  In a nutshell I suppose I could quote Cyberic and it would be pretty close.

I too agree that really huge fields are not my thing, but I do like fields that have a quality that help me accomplish my goals.  IE: I need people around my goal pace to hang on to or stay ahead of as a motivator. Especially so in a marathon,  I have to admit I am not a fan of the distance and I concur with LRB.  As much as it takes from me It delivers so little back.  I do feel accomplished to do the distance, but I don't know that I would ever feel like it did it justice.

On the Boston note: Cyberic hit it on the head,  I didn't run a marathon that was in Boston.  I was a part of history and part of the 120th Boston.  That will never go away regardless of my (personal feeling) of my poor performance.  It was and forever is damn special and there are a great deal of runners who will never be able to run Boston.

Would I do it again?  1 day post Boston, I was talking to my wife that If I were to ever repeat a marathon it would be Boston.  It is simply that cool. 4 days post Boston, I don't know that I would, simply from the fact that I in my arrogance I suppose, I do not want to run in the wave that I re-qualified with...  so I would be required (by my own admittance) to run an additional race to put myself in the wave/ corral I want to be in and then run Boston.   That is *two* marathons to run when it is not a loved distance.

So... the debate with myself is now:  Do I run a single additional marathon all out for a last attempt at my goal time.  Or do I drop it...

Would I run Boston again? Given the opportunity and given that I somehow change my mind on loving the distance.  Yes I think I would.

It is about as close as one could get to being involved in a celebration of the activity.

LRB

That is not an easy question to answer. 

I think there is a sense of duty to run it once if you qualify, at least that's how I viewed it. After that to continue to run it is a choice for some, and an obligation for others. That said not everyone that qualifies runs it and just like anything else, that is perfectly fine.

Hip Redux

It is about as close as one could get to being involved in a celebration of the activity.

I love this.

I grew up in Boston and suburbs, so the city is a special place for me.  Mr. O is working on increasing his buffer on his BQ this weekend, and I really hope that he gets to go, just so I can tag along and be a wannabe in my favorite city.

Oh... and great job, Cy.   I'm glad you enjoyed the experience and got to go!

Cyberic

You're right, Oski: Very well said Sly.

And thanks, O.

Good luck to Mr.O!

onemile

Although I've never run Chicago, so I don't *know*, but I'd say the difference is in Boston you feel something else. Yes the big crowds, the extra money and all that you've mentioned is true, and I might never run it again because of that, but I'm very glad I did run it.

Not because I saw the mecca of Marathons, not because I took part of it, but because in a weird way I felt part of it. All these runners I was seeing around town made it something special to me, and I was one of the runners they saw that made it special to them. Everywhere I went, I was one of the runners that was going to run the marathon.

I don't know if you feel like that for other marathons. Maybe. But I definitely felt it in Boston, and to me, that is the difference. I did not just run a marathon, I was part of the 120th edition of the most prestigious marathon in the world

I have run both Chicago and Boston and I have to say Boston is special.  Part of it is the prestige - I was proud to be part of it.  But also there is a way the city makes the runners feel special outside of the race.  (During too for sure but the whole weekend from the airplane pilot welcoming those running the marathon when we landed to on the way home, security at the airport shortening up the line for me because of my post race hobbling).  There's just a welcoming vibe from the city and I didn't feel that for the Chicago marathon.

I'm not a big race person or a destination race person but I'm glad I did it.

Mmmmm...beer

Great job and report!!  I also don't love the marathon, which is crazy since I love distance, but running for hours on trails is very different from running for hours on pavement!  I will run Boston, if not next year, then in '18.  It might be a one and done, but I have to do it for the experience.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report and photos!  Congrats on your latest marathon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Cyberic

Great job and report!!  I also don't love the marathon, which is crazy since I love distance, but running for hours on trails is very different from running for hours on pavement!  I will run Boston, if not next year, then in '18.  It might be a one and done, but I have to do it for the experience.

I would recommand it, as is probably clear from the previous posts in this thread.

When was your last marathon? You'll have to run 2 to run Bostonif it was too long ago.

Cyberic

Nice report and photos!  Congrats on your latest marathon!

Thank you, Scotty.