Beginners and Beyond

Let's talk fuel during runs/races (Read 113 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nope. I was originally going to to one GU, a few energy beans at 2 different aid stations, and Gatorade 2 or 3 times, but never Gatorade and another source of carbs together, and never 3-4 GUs. I have since revised it and elimated beans and will now take GU at mile 5 (which will be probably a little over 50 mins in) and another at   if I feel I need it. Unless I revise again based on more feedback.

I think that was Kristin's plan at some point in time.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My pre-race breakfast for any distance is half a bagel or toast with PB and a banana 2 hours before. I will probably stick with this.

I want to add: I do eat a full bagel with PB about 2 hours before a race. And I always eat well the day before.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I've only done one HM so far and it took me a little over 2 hours.  The gatorade the race offered was sufficient for me, and I was glad to not be fussing with wrappers or pockets or whatever.  And I also do a PB and banana sandwich pre-race, whatever the distance.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Daves_Not_Here

Mind if a rank amateur chimes in? I've run 7 HMs and 2 Tough Mudders to date and interestingly enough my two best races (Davis Stampede at 2:01 and Elk Grove Running of The Elk at 2:08) were the two races where I didn't ingest anything during the race. At least for me, if I ingest any foodstuff(s) during a race, I get the worst heartburn...So bad that I've had to actually stop momentarily for it to subside.

I've found what works for me and that is a nice bowl of oatmeal w/ brown sugar and skim milk about one hour prior to the race. That generally sets me up for the run.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If I eat oatmeal before running, I would never leave the potta potty.

Kristin, I think that his way of exaggerating a bit from what you said. Joking

Damaris

Hip Redux

Nope. I was originally going to to one GU, a few energy beans at 2 different aid stations, and Gatorade 2 or 3 times, but never Gatorade and another source of carbs together, and never 3-4 GUs. I have since revised it and elimated beans and will now take GU at mile 5 (which will be probably a little over 50 mins in) and another at   if I feel I need it. Unless I revise again based on more feedback.

I think your revised plan is reasonable.  Smile  Carry an extra Gu - if you feel you need it, great, if not, great.

Will run for scenery.

I do mostly trail/mountain "runs" (and I'm not fast) so the fueling is more casual : just keep snarfing things down when you get a chance and be sure to get enough fluids.  Over the course of 7 hours, you (I) just can't go without plenty of fuel.

But it's such a shame to waste all those precious exercise calories on nasty goo and cheap-ass cookies and candy.  During my last run I was seriously thinking about how to bake easy-to-eat, non-messy, 100 calorie pecan pies.  Yum !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I will confirm what LtH said earlier, beer DURING a marathon is damn good beer!!