Beginners and Beyond

White Friday (Read 44 times)

ROS, good luck!!  Have fun at your race!  And your dog's good behavior gives me hope.

Between the crotch smelling story from LRB and the "I can smell inside my right ear" from RWMD, I'm basically on the floor and damn near peed my pants laughing.

KC, I have totally let my dog out many times in the dead of night without appropriate "outdoor" clothes on.  Fortunately, my front yard has a gate, so to date there has not been an escape issue where I had to chase him down sans pants.  Early one morning about 4 years ago though, I put kid #1 in my husband's car to head to school and headed back into the house to get ready and take kid #2 to daycare.  Kid #2 had locked the sliding door, and I couldn't get back in.  I was wearing just my bathrobe.  I did not have my cell phone.  After trying unsuccessfully to get the kid to unlock the door, I did the walk of shame to my neighbors' house to ask to use their phone.  No answer.  So I went to a second neighbors' house who I was slightly less comfortable admitting my predicament, but they weren't home either.  Had to go to a third house--residents of which are the nosiest neighbors on the street and I try to interact with them as little as possible, but I was desperate.  Only the guy was home, he kept offering me coffee and stuff, it was beyond awkward.

We have multiple hidden keys now.

MTA: Lauren, my boss got hit (I was in the back seat) the exact same way, and just like your old dude, this was an elderly lady and she just could not understand the concept of being required to turn left from the inside left turn lane.  She insisted she had the right of way.  I called the police finally to come take a report, she was dogged in her wrongness.  I'm at that intersection a lot, and ever since then, I get in the inside turn lane because I don't trust anyone anymore.  I'm so sorry you had such a shit week.  Hopefully things get much better very quickly!

Cyberic

Speaking for myself, wrist-based HRM's don't work well if you're too jaded and thick skinned.   In all seriousness, even my Scosche has a hard time picking up HR if I try to use it on the wrist, so I wouldn't fault the 235.  Just doesn't work for me.

My body is very finicky about HRMing in general. Even straps don't do that great, as soon as the temps are a bit low. But the wrist HRM of my F3HR is pretty good in 60* temps and higher if I wear the watch ultra tight

LRB

Between the crotch smelling story from LRB and the "I can smell inside my right ear" from RWMD, I'm basically on the floor and damn near peed my pants laughing.

I have an imaginative mind.

Thankfully, my car has keyless entry, so I keep a spare set in there. It's gonna suck when I have to get a new car and it doesn't have that feature.

RunningOnSand

Why does the HRM suck?

It doesn't really work. Maybe it's true of all HRM, but it's on the wrist and half the time I'll be going at max effort and it won't measure accurately (like, it'll say my HR is at 100 or something ridiculous like that).

RunningWithMyDog

I have an imaginative mind.

Thankfully, my car has keyless entry, so I keep a spare set in there. It's gonna suck when I have to get a new car and it doesn't have that feature.

Simple solution: get a keyless entry for your house.

Best $200 bucks I ever spent. I don't even carry house keys anymore, and I never have to worry about my kids being locked out.

Every runner needs one.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It doesn't really work. Maybe it's true of all HRM, but it's on the wrist and half the time I'll be going at max effort and it won't measure accurately (like, it'll say my HR is at 100 or something ridiculous like that).

I find the same with the Garmin 230 or 235 I have. It’s very inaccurate.  Until Garmin improves that tehnology, I’ll keep my TomTom with optical HR which is more accurate.

I do prefer the optical because I hate the strap but Garmin needs to improve the 23X technology for it.

Damaris

onemile

Hmm I haven't noticed that. I thought it seemed accurate or at least haven't noticed any readings that seemed obviously off

Cyberic

Hmm I haven't noticed that. I thought it seemed accurate or at least haven't noticed any readings that seemed obviously off

Same here. I noticed a couple if things on the F3HR, but nothing like ROS is mentioning.

My HR will go over my max with the wrist HRM. With a strap, 167 is my max, but I see as high as 175 with the wrist HRM.

As I said earlier, in cooler temps it's not reliable at all.

On day do day use, the watch is not so tight on my wrist. But when I'm working out, it needs to be tighter if I want more reliable readings.

They upgraded the sensor on the F5, so yours is probably better than mine, onemile.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

how do you know that it's not working? or not picking it up? my fenix has the wrist hrm. How do I know it's not accurate?

Takes time and experience I guess.  Started with the electrode chest strap when I started HR based training in 2015.  Measured HR on every training run and race since.  I can tell very quickly if there is static interference, cadence lock, or lack of signal.  Both Half and Full PRs are off Hadd HR based training.  I will pick up the Fenix 5 soon as I will need the extra battery life for my next race.  I'll report back if the integrated HRM is better than the 235.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

GinnyinPA

My Garmin wrist HRM seems to work most of the time. I have an occasional run where it's really off, but most of the time it seems to be pretty accurate.

Dave - in Boston I was told I'd have to have reservations all weekend, which was hard for me because I had no idea where or when we'd be eating since we were staying in Cambridge and I wasn't sure how much time we'd be there taking it easy and how much across the river playing tourist. I usually like to eat my big prerace meal early afternoon, with a sandwich or something light for supper. Since it was sleeting when we were wandering around Boylston Street on Sunday afternoon and I had to go to the bathroom, we stopped at Chipotle. Lots of carbs between the rice, beans and tortilla. There were a lot of runners having a late lunch/early dinner. The next day after the race we got off the train and I asked a local college student, "Where can we get a burger and a beer?" She directed us a block to a local tavern. No wait. So lack of reservation may not be as big a deal as you think.

I ran an easy 5 miles in town. My glutes are really knotted and painful, but the right hamstring seems to be better. My energy was a bit higher as well. Progress.

Cyberic

My Garmin wrist HRM seems to work most of the time. I have an occasional run where it's really off, but most of the time it seems to be pretty accurate.

Dave - in Boston I was told I'd have to have reservations all weekend, which was hard for me because I had no idea where or when we'd be eating since we were staying in Cambridge and I wasn't sure how much time we'd be there taking it easy and how much across the river playing tourist. I usually like to eat my big prerace meal early afternoon, with a sandwich or something light for supper. Since it was sleeting when we were wandering around Boylston Street on Sunday afternoon and I had to go to the bathroom, we stopped at Chipotle. Lots of carbs between the rice, beans and tortilla. There were a lot of runners having a late lunch/early dinner. The next day after the race we got off the train and I asked a local college student, "Where can we get a burger and a beer?" She directed us a block to a local tavern. No wait. So lack of reservation may not be as big a deal as you think.

I ran an easy 5 miles in town. My glutes are really knotted and painful, but the right hamstring seems to be better. My energy was a bit higher as well. Progress.

In Boston I had no restaurant reservation. Never had to wait to eat.

Coastal

4 miles. Taking the day off work today, heading down to Eugene in a couple hours.

Good luck.  I'm betting on a good race.

It matters what colors you wear?  The things one learns on the internet.

I've had a couple crazy stressful weeks at work and haven't been getting much sleep, either.  Finally ran out of mental gas.  Tonight I got on the TM and had a heck of a time even getting in two miles.  Just didn't have the push.  Things should settling down so hopefully it will get better next week.  Meanwhile, TGIF.