Beginners and Beyond

TuesDailies (Read 20 times)

DavePNW

This. With all the technology available, I'm sure they could find/design a course that is as close as possible to the Olympic course, attempt to have similar conditions, etc. I do think there is a challenge with the marathon in that you need recovery after it, so no matter how you do it, are you really getting the best team to run a race in August when it's picked in February? So wild idea, keep the standards. Move trials closer to the actual Olympics and make it a HM-30k.

Well of course they could do all this. But NBC is calling the shots and all the decisions are financially motivated. I’d think there’d be financial benefit to Americans doing well in the Olympics. But they’re probably too short-sighted to consider that when they’re making decisions on the trials.

I wouldn’t think recovery is too big of a concern, that’s 6 months.

Dave

DavePNW

Also, Florida is a shithole state, I don’t support putting anything there.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Also, Florida is a shithole state, I don’t support putting anything there.

+1

Rather +infinity now that they're teaching slavery had benefits to the enslaved.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Half Crazy K 2.0

Well of course they could do all this. But NBC is calling the shots and all the decisions are financially motivated. I’d think there’d be financial benefit to Americans doing well in the Olympics. But they’re probably too short-sighted to consider that when they’re making decisions on the trials.

I wouldn’t think recovery is too big of a concern, that’s 6 months.

I guess they also like to stagger the marathon and track trials.  Seems like folks go for the marathon and if that fails, they try for the 5 or 10k track.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I do think there is a challenge with the marathon in that you need recovery after it, so no matter how you do it, are you really getting the best team to run a race in August when it's picked in February? So wild idea, keep the standards. Move trials closer to the actual Olympics and make it a HM-30k.

That's more than enough time for recovery.  It's quite common for elite runners to race two marathons a year, some may run three.  The issue remains picking the best team and the barrier here, at least for the men, is that none of the men who have qualified for the US Olympic Trials Marathon have run an Olympic Marathon qualifying time within the qualifying window.  Racing in Orlando in February with a noon start is not conducive to fast times.  Running a marathon for a fast time between now and the Trials in February risks not being fully recovered for the Trials.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

+1

Rather +infinity now that they're teaching slavery had benefits to the enslaved.

+2

Damaris