Beginners and Beyond

Week 27 We're penguins, not flamingos!! (06/21-06/27) (Read 10 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Pink Flamingo Day, so get out your yard art!  Shortly after we moved to VA, our old church back in WA had a youth fundraiser where you could pay $20 and the youth would go plan 50 or so flamingos in the yard of your choice, take a pic, and leave them for an hour.  Or you could pay $30 for "flamingo protection" and avoid the flocking.  We flocked a couple of friends of ours, figuring we were quite safe from retaliation by about 3000 miles.

We had a good weekend with my folks, although I never really felt like I could relax all weekend.  It's like I was constantly on alert (for virus particles, I guess).  We did a couple of sightseeing things, mostly outdoors, and with very small and avoidable crowds, so that was good.  And we fed them a lot, but we didn't do the game night that we usually do, mostly because we were pretty tired after the sightseeing.  Anyway, maybe by the time we see them again at Thanksgiving I will have calmed down a little.

Dusty's blood sugar numbers are still pretty bad, so they're increasing his insulin dosage.  Check again in a few weeks.

And I have been SCRAMBLING since I got to work this morning!!  Sheesh!!  Hopefully from now on out my day will get calmer.  Lots to do, though.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So Florida! Although even the flamingos have Covid at this point...

I took an RD yesterday, 9 to run today.

HopesMom, glad you had a good weekend. Hoping Dusty's numbers improve.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Me too, guess we'll see.  He's got a cyst or something on one of his gums, and the vet said that any kind of UTI or gum disease can make diabetes hard to regulate, so maybe that's it.  Which would be ironic, since that's one of the reasons we took him in to begin with, but they found the diabetes and wanted to get it under control first.  So, we up his dose for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Biked in, and ran a quick laundry load of towels this morning to hang out on the clothesline.  It's a lovely day outside!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hope you enjoyed the ride!

I have 6-7 miles depending on which run I want to do.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope Dusty gets better soon. I know from DH that any type of infection or illness makes blood sugar go up. At one point Ben was diagnosed with high blood sugar, but they didn't talk diabetes, the vet was more concerned about cancer. After a lot of time and money testing, they said that the initial blood sugar test was wrong. it was a relief, but it was irritating.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I've got some pics from my weekend to share, hope you enjoy!

No biking today, I needed a rest and it's supposed to rain this afternoon.

Might go for a walk, though, even if I need an umbrella.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Love it. Especially the piano.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

That was from Monticello.  Don't know if it's authentic, period, or reproduction, but maybe Jefferson or his wife played it?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Probably, although it looks like a harpsichord which was popular around that time.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Penguins, welcome to Friday!!  It's funny how being back at work makes you cherish the weekends.  I think I'll take a look at my croissant recipe and see if it's doable for tomorrow ... maybe not in time for breakfast, but maybe for Sunday breakfast?  I think I started it the day before, the last time I made them.  Anyway, it might depend on how ambitious I feel, though I remember them being quite tasty ...

Not biking yesterday was wise, as there was a downpour with thunder as I was leaving.  Today, however, is lovely (and warm), so I biked.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! It's my Friday off and woke up an hour ago, exhausted.

I have PIlates and 6.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - what's going on with your sleep? You've been having a lot of problems with it lately? Is one of the cats more restless than usual? Are you more stressed out than usual?

HM - good luck with the croissant baking. I love a good croissant, but rarely have them because of the calories.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hershey has been meowing after 6am but it's not the only reason, I think. First was the swelling on my feet that I have for 3 weeks that I think is medication related. Maybe it's also the restlessness from working from home or (likely) that we reopened the office and soon I'll have to head to the office and that can be stressful as well especially since this state is fully reopened as of July 4th. Like back to normal full.

None of this stresses me too much but maybe it is?

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I didn't realize how stressed being around other people would make me until I tried it.  When our quartet got together, even though I enjoyed it, I was tense the whole time.  Not that I think I'd get covid from them, but that I could easily pass it on myself, and they're all high risk.  Things may affect you more than you realize.

I'm looking at the rather complicated croissant recipe and thinking I might attempt the easier English muffin recipe.  Less butter to deal with, and less time involvement.  I can make the biga tonight and then make the muffins at my leisure tomorrow, to eat on Sunday.  Croissants would have to start tomorrow and finish on Sunday -- they were incredibly good when I made them, but maybe I'd enjoy the muffins too ...