Beginners and Beyond

Pikesville 5k RR (Read 28 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Summary

SSDD. Just under 27:40.

Long Version

This was my 4th time doing this race. I skipped last year, but had done the three prior years. I used to work in the strip center by the course. I hated the commute (and the job), but on a Sunday morning, it is a quick and easy drive.  For same course comparison, this was 1 minute slower than my fastest time on this course.

The Pikesville 5k supports the Chamber of Commerce and the Ulman Cancer Fund.  The race has actually gotten smaller each year I’ve done it. The first year (2011) there were roughly 600 participants. This year, it was over 400. I don’t know if that has to do with a switch in beneficiaries. Prior to 2013, it supported the Chamber of Commerce and the cancer center at the University of Maryland Medical Center.  I boycotted last year because UCF spammed RA and RW on a regular basis for their charity teams for various sold out races.

I wanted to run even splits, or even start slow and finish faster. Um, no. The course is just weird. According to Garmin, there is only about 100 feet of elevation gain and loss. But it seems like you are always on a slight incline or decline. Maybe it would feel easier in the fall?

Mile 1 9:01

I lined up roughly a quarter of the way back in the pack. Every year, the start of this race is a bit of a cluster. This year was no exception. There is a quick, sharp turn and then a short, but relatively steep hill in the first quarter mile. Naturally there were power walkers up front. And then some guy who was holding his keys dropped and kicked them in the middle of the road. Seriously? They make shorts with pockets. I wanted to not start too fast, but after we got on the main road noticed my pace was really slow, like barely under 10mm, so I started trying to get past people.

Mile 2 8:42

About the only thing that stands out is somehow this was my fastest mile and there are two turnarounds in this mile. This is also where I saw someone running with a selfie stick.

Mile 3 9:09, final .1 7:55 pace

According to Garmin, there were only 34 feet of elevation gain. I don’t know why it felt like far more. It was definitely uphill and I was hating every step. At this point I was also hot. It was a nice enough day for July, but still warm for running. At least the finish was downhill and then flat.

Post Race

I did another 3 very slow miles and then hit the post race food. This race has by far the best post race spread. It is catered by a local caterer—eggs, potatoes, I think some fruit and yogurt. There were also bagels, muffins, Dunkin Donuts, coffee, etc.  There was also a separate section for Kosher food. Something about hot food after running just doesn't work for me, so instead I had a chocolate crumb, banana and gingerbread mini-muffin. All were very tasty.

So disappointed with my time. Again.

Not quite sure where on the course this was, but it show a bit of the crowding. If I had to guess, it was just after mile 1. The guy in bright green shorts going the opposite direction was on of the top OA finishers. And folks, the cones are there for a reason. Not many people got the memo about not wearing the race shirt on race day. The orange tech shirts you see were the race shirt. As a nice touch, they were gender specific.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job!  LOL at the memo on the race shirts.  I usually see them all over while I run doing this: 

Damaris

LRB

The conditions have been downright miserable to run in, you are doing great despite them.

How much training do you do at tempo pace?

Half Crazy K 2.0

How much training do you do at tempo pace?

I've been doing 1 day per week, usually 30 minutes tops. When conditions suck, I've been doing it as intervals, usually 5 or 6 minutes with 1 minute rest in betweeen.

Sorry you were disappointed. Sounds like a tough race for a number of reasons.

Congestion at the start is frustrating. I had some that in my last race, seems like it can take a long time to clear out, a luxury you don't have in a 5k.

WTF with the guy dropping his keys. Although IIRC, Jay has run marathons with keys in hand, and seems to do OK. And I did one with my inhaler in hand. Just don't drop stuff.

Why did 34 feet of gain feel like so much? Mile 3 of 5k, that's why. I would love to see what a perfectly flat 5k feels like; any elevation changes are just killer in a short race.

Post-race spread sounded awesome anyway.

Dave

LRB

And I did one with my inhaler in hand. Just don't drop stuff.

Someone I know routinely races with a gel in their hand. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sorry you were disappointed. Sounds like a tough race for a number of reasons.

Congestion at the start is frustrating. I had some that in my last race, seems like it can take a long time to clear out, a luxury you don't have in a 5k.

WTF with the guy dropping his keys. Although IIRC, Jay has run marathons with keys in hand, and seems to do OK. And I did one with my inhaler in hand. Just don't drop stuff.

Why did 34 feet of gain feel like so much? Mile 3 of 5k, that's why. I would love to see what a perfectly flat 5k feels like; any elevation changes are just killer in a short race.

Post-race spread sounded awesome anyway.

Even the flat 5ks near me have some change in elevation. The flattest had 17 feet per mile (it was a 3 loop course in an industrial park, I know, exciting). Here the RDs refer to course as "relatively flat" or fast. Which means yes, there are some hills, just no massive ones. Sometimes "fast" means there is a really long downhill that you can run fast on, but then you give back all that time on an equal uphill. I may do one next weekend that has been described as flat. It may be, the area right around Pimlico race course is pretty flat.

This course seems prime for congestion. 2 sharp turns in the first quarter mile and a hill. And probably the charity aspect to. At least this year I wasn't surrounded by the Galloway group from the LRS who puts it on. I have never wanted to smash GPS devices more in my life....