Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES - Keep calm and stop ****** saying keep calm (Read 39 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just ate the three day old sushi that was in my fridge and I'm still alive. Of course, that was only about 15 minutes ago. I'll tell you later if I'm dead. But, aren't you allergic to seafood?

Yes. That is why I cannot eat sushi.

I had beef teriyaki with edamame.  I call that a win!

Damaris

From the Internet.

Hi dailies! My race went spectacularly well. The weather was perfect and I don't think I could possibly have paced it any better! Very happy camper, I can go peacefully into surgery tomorrow morning knowing that I kicked running's ass this week, haha Smile

Cyberic

The more I think of it, the more I think I'll follow a Pfitz plan (probably the 18-70) for my first marathon. I re-read parts of Advanced Marathoning, and the plans, and I don't think I'll train as hard if I don't follow a canned plan.

LRB

I wouldn't last one week doing the 18/70 lol you're going to kill it though!

Cyberic

I wouldn't last one week doing the 18/70 lol you're going to kill it though!

I'm already not sure anymore, lol. Geez, that's a lot of running. I would enjoy doing it if I didn't have a full time job and a family. But I have both of these. The worse part is the family. It's not the fact that I run that bugs DW. The worse is the fact that I always feel like doing nothing after a hard workout or a long run. I imagine that during a 18-70 program, working, running, house work and kids' sports would be all I'd do. The rest of the time I'd probably spend relaxing, napping and eating.

DW is the kind of person who thinks she is wasting her life when doing nothing. Being well intentioned as she is, she organizes the family schedule a bit so the kids and I don't end up wasting our lives

happylily

The more I think of it, the more I think I'll follow a Pfitz plan (probably the 18-70) for my first marathon. I re-read parts of Advanced Marathoning, and the plans, and I don't think I'll train as hard if I don't follow a canned plan.

Pfitz 18-70 is a great plan and I'm going back to training with Pfitz for Boston 2015. I loved less the quality workouts with the Hansons. Pfitz fits more with the way how I run.

I get what you mean about being tired after working, running and family obligations. My SO has come to accept that I will never be again the obsessive duster and family accounting manager that I was. I just have no energy and interest in those things now.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

I just set my watch so the auto splits are set to 1.61 km (1 mile) instead of 1000m. I kept the pace in mins/km. That way, after a while, the miles splits to mins/km will become easier to me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I loved the 18/70 when I did it. The recovery runs are key. Do them at true recovery; they are not the time to run a PR like a friend of mine did and crashed during his race.

Damaris

LRB

I get what you mean about being tired after working, running and family obligations. My SO has come to accept that I will never be again the obsessive duster and family accounting manager that I was. I just have no energy and interest in those things now.

Word.  My once pristine lawn now looks like a fuckin urban jungle.  lmfao

DavePNW

Couple of the lamer reasons I picked Hansons over Pfitz:

(1) I run in the morning before work & was not excited about trying to get up early enough to squeeze in 15-milers. Although as it turns out, Hansons had me doing plenty of 13-14's, it just doesn't look that way when you first look at the schedule.

(2) I was not excited about doing doubles. The 2nd run, with all the extra laundry & showering, explanations to by wife about why it's not enough to run every day, some days I have to run TWICE, seemed like a hassle.

There have been a few good threads on the forums comparing the two, both have their supporters. I've been pretty comfortable with Hansons. OK, comfortable is a strong word, but I've managed it. Can't comment on the results yet.

Running early morning IMHO is a good way to avoid conflicts with other activities. What else would you be doing, with your family or otherwise, between 5:00 and 7:00 AM? Assuming you can get yourself up early and/or get by with less sleep, it's something to consider. Yes I definitely do less yard work, although I was not exactly Mr. Green Thumbs before I was a runner, so not such a big deal.

BTW - Happy Thanksgiving Lily, Cyberic & B+!

Dave

LRB

Running early morning IMHO is a good way to avoid conflicts with other activities. What else would you be doing, with your family or otherwise, between 5:00 and 7:00 AM? Assuming you can get yourself up early and/or go to sleep after the 6:00 news goes off.

FYP

I absolutely love morning running, but it was not always that way.  I have been at this fitness/working out thing for 14 years though and as you so astutely stated back then it was the only way to get my workout in without life getting in the way.

I have experimented with doubles but do not like them, that said I can tolerate them for X number of weeks if that's all there was.  The strange thing about doubles is once you are actually out there and running, they are not bad at all.

DavePNW

I have experimented with doubles but do not like them, that said I can tolerate them for X number of weeks if that's all there was.  The strange thing about doubles is once you are actually out there and running, they are not bad at all.

Yeah I don't imagine they would be so bad, like I said it's more the hassle of 2 runs. (The worst part: 2 warmups! )

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha.  I am at work by 7am, 5-7am are taking with no running.

The 15 milers were hard but in contrast to Dave, I don't do anything with my husband between 6 and 8pm.  He is working, getting back from work, or unwinding his stress by playing on his computer.  So, I run.

Damaris

LRB

Haha.  I am at work by 7am, 5-7am are taking with no running.

Yes, the work schedule plays a big part in getting it done.  I check in at 8:30, if it were 8:00 I might be able to squeeze it in but just barely.  If it were 7:30 or earlier as in years past no mas.

Cyberic

Running early morning IMHO is a good way to avoid conflicts with other activities. What else would you be doing, with your family or otherwise, between 5:00 and 7:00 AM? Assuming you can get yourself up early and/or get by with less sleep, it's something to consider.

That is what I do. But even if I were out at 5:30 and back at 8:00 (2:30 run), and ready by 8:30-9:00 (stretching, RA log, shower) on a Sunday morning, the problem is that the rest of the day, I don't feel like doing stuff. THAT is the problem. DW thinks I never want to do anything, and she's right! And I run less than most of you on the Dailies.

But I'm just whining here.

MTA: I got the 70 miles idea from LTH's comment from a few days ago saying it's hard to have a McMillan equivalent race time for a marathon if you're running less than 70 miles/week.