Beginners and Beyond

Angel Park 5k RR (Read 34 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

The RM company who put on this race is my preferred one (Elite Race Management). Their 5ks usually are $25 for early registration, sometimes even $20. Not many frills, usually cotton tees, which I prefer over crappy unisex tech ones and a simple post race spread. They are the best around as far as getting awards out in a timely manner so a 5k, usually an hour after the race started.

Cyberic

2. Keep the required costs down - (ie: no time, no shirt  - options.)

Although I'm all for the no shirt, no medal, no lunch afterwards to keep costs down, I'm not so sure the no time will interest too many people interested in racing.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have been gearing up to RD the 5K for my DDs school and been looking into ways to:

1. Make it a race to remember and want to come back too (for casual and competitive alike)

2. Keep the required costs down - (ie: no time, no shirt  - options.)

3. Include niceties only if the runner is interested in paying for them.

A few ideas:

-Participation awards--is there the ability to create teams? Grade with most participants?

-Come up with some sort of teacher/student challenge--maybe sum of the the fastest 3 M and F from each

-Small prize for most person who dresses with most school spirit

-I've actually seen a school around here do a chip timed race with no awards

-Do other schools have races? I did a 5k for the local HS (Honeygo race route 1) and the fastest M and F student got entry into another 5k that had reps from many local high schools.

-Have activities for the non-runners- maybe gear towards kids, things like face painting (enlist the art teacher), obstacle course (PE teacher), etc.

-If you have a walk, maybe have the route totally independent from the 5k or put cones or some other marking so the runners & walkers aren't mixing.

-Could you do some sort of relay option? Not sure of the age of the kids, but maybe a one mile loop and allow for teams of 3