Beginners and Beyond

Super Sunday Penguins - Time To Get Your Game On! (Read 39 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

not intruding at all. you just gave me a lot to think about!

Keep in mind the different backgrounds, ages, other athletic experience, injuries or lack thereof, and type or cause of injuries if relevant. Also keep in mind how difficult the race went, how they felt afterwards, and the recovery process. Having done or being able to do something doesn't always make it the wisest choice. A relevant question is whether they would make the same choice in retrospect.

Sorry to intrude. I accidently opened the thread but decided to respond after reading a few posts.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

I ran 2 HM w/o much training.. Talking abt maybe running once or twice a week.. and a weekly mile of abt 10-15.. Not good..

My post in RWOL.. http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners/runwalk-hm

Always fun to go read how naive I am when I "started"..

My 1st enjoyable HM is abt 2-3 mth after I started C25K after shin splints.. I guess it really depends your goal of the HM.. I see your 10K @ 1:07.. You can definitely do a HM in Oct and maybe score a sub 2:00.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Keep in mind the different backgrounds, ages, other athletic experience, injuries or lack thereof, and type or cause of injuries if relevant. Also keep in mind how difficult the race went, how they felt afterwards, and the recovery process. Having done or being able to do something doesn't always make it the wisest choice. A relevant question is whether they would make the same choice in retrospect.

Sorry to intrude. I accidently opened the thread but decided to respond after reading a few posts.

He just dropped some serious wisdom.  Good stuff.  Posts like that are why I joined a forum.  Yes, I'd do it again.  Yet, I started football and wrestling at 11 years old.  Wrestled until the age of 23.  Then, I was toying with bodybuilding.  I moved onto powerlifting.  Started running for a few months in 2010.  Returned to running in 2012.  My body is battle tested.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Kristin, I just went back and read your post about training. You got some good advice there regarding adding running days etc.

Something I noticed was that you have 5 races of various distances this Spring, leading up to the 10- mile race in June.   That seems like a lot of racing in 20 weeks for someone coming off an injury.  Especially for a new runner without a strong base.   It will bedifficult to build up your mileage while "losing" a week (for a little taper and recovery) every month. Stronger, higher-mileage runners can probably treat a 5K race like just another speed work day, but for you (and me too) a weekend race will preclude the weekend LR and require either an extra rest day afterwards or reduced mileage for a couple days after the race.

You have to decide what is more important to you. Multiple races this Spring, or the 10-miler in June?  If you can run the 10-miler in June without getting injuredbefore/during, you shouldhe able to do 13.1 by October.

Are you someone who needs to follow a plan?  I find I do better with a "loose outline", with a long-term goal broken into smaller sub goals. For instance, your long-term goal is to be able to run 13.1 miles in October. But the first thing you need to do is to get back to running .  You also know that a four-day running week is desirable. So I would make a plan for the first two weeks back:  to run every other day, for 1-2 miles per day. Depending how I responded to that, I would adjust for the next couple of weeks. Rinse/repeat.

Philliefan33

Bin, there was a Calvin Klein underwear commercial that aired during the Supwrbowl. It featured a very "cut" male model.   Eye candy that I greatly appreciated!

This reminded me that it is not Superbowl Sunday" for everyone, and not everyone watching the game will necessarily see the same commercials. Three years ago DH and I were in Puerto Rico for Superbowl. We watched the game, but didn't see any of the special commercials. We saw commercials for the local taco joint.

hog4life

Kristin, I just wanted to add a few thoughts even though I didn't respond to your other thread. You have gotten some great advice and opinions about how to handle your situation. Each of us are an individual that respond to the same situations in a different manner. I honestly feel that you could do the half in Oct. I really like what Phillie said about the multiple races, ie, the recovery time. What you have to do now, is take all this input, and decide for yourself what you want to do. I want to wish you the best with whatever you decide.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

philiefan you raise some good points. I think the only 2 I will "race" provided I am healthy is the April 6th 10K and April 21 5K. The March 3rd 5K I doubt I will be in shape for a PR attempt but I'm doing it with several friends so I want to participate. The 5 miler stats less than a mile from my boyfriend's house. The course is where I would be running that morning anyway if I was visiting him so why not participate and use it as a training run. I guess I just have to start running again and see how it goes and listen to my body. Thanks for thr advice and raising a very good point!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

thanks Mitch. I really appreciate everyone'e advice. Makes me thankful I found this place/RWOL.

Zelanie

Kristin,

We can have the best training plan in the world, but what we don't know is how our bodies will respond to training.  For example, Dave and I started at about the same time and I think at one point were fairly close together in mileage.  He maybe was already running a few more MPW week when we were both new Penguins, but not many.  We had similar training, at least at first, and a different result.

But I think the main difference is we both had to adapt our training based upon how it was going.  We get feedback based on how we're feeling, and then we move forward.  I think my progression has been pretty close to "average" over the past year, but there are weeks when I feel like I'm moving forward, and weeks when I feel like I'm not making any progress at all (and sorry for getting whiny when I'm having one of those weeks, I try not to).

So although I have a plan that I'm following, in my log my "plan" only goes one week into the future.  At the end of each week, I look at the plan in the book and my schedule, and then I put next week's plan in.  If things continue to go well, yes I will follow what the book says.  But I'm only looking a little bit in advance because who knows how I'll be feeling.

Of course it could be that I'm currently reading a book by Brad Hudson that's all about adapting your training.

But the fact is that none of us have a crystal ball.  Just like the "cone of uncertainty" around a hurricane, there is a whole range of levels that you could be at by the time these races roll around.  As long as you're willing to listen to your body, adapt accordingly, and enjoy whatever you accomplish on race day as a sign of your personal best and the work you've put into it, then I think you will have a great year!