Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: On second thought make that a double (Read 33 times)

Cyberic

I just realized I ran 28 of the 30 days this month!

I know that is small potatoes for most of you but it is a world record for me!

I am not most of us

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Back from Pilates as well. I am resting after that. Especially since my abdomen hurts since 3pm. Hope this is just taper madness because I no longer have a uterus to explode during Chicago this year.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am one month away from heading to Indy and I have already begun my list of what not to forget......... is this a little OCD? I fear I am going to get crazier and crazier as the days begin to count down 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

If you can find a race not requiring an overnight stay

That's what I did up until now: race local. Ottawa is not very far from here, about two hours or a little more, but not much. I don't know my way around the city, and I'd have to find a parking space. I guess I could plan all this and it could go very well. The best thing would be to travel alone the day before, or get two hotel rooms, or get a room like the one FreeSoul described, with a privace wall.

I managed to play hockey in a not-too-brutal-for-my-weak-ass-body way. I played very short shifts. Didn't want to reach in my energy reserves at all. It was FUN. That's why we say we "play" hockey. But fun or not, this is probably my last year. That is if I want to start running marathons and improve at running, because playing hockey replaces a workout day, not a recovery day. And even if I play in an "office" league (no contacts, sticks stay low, noone wants to get hurt), the risks of injury are still higher than in running IMO.

A treadmill, I don't know where I'd put it. I know where almost anyone would put it if they lived in my house, in the basement, but I'm 6'6" tall. The ceilings in my basement are not a standard 8' high. I'd have to measure, but I don't think I'd be comfortable.

happylily

That's what I did up until now: race local. Ottawa is not very far from here, about two hours or a little more, but not much. I don't know my way around the city, and I'd have to find a parking space. I guess I could plan all this and it could go very well. The best thing would be to travel alone the day before, or get two hotel rooms, or get a room like the one FreeSoul described, with a privace wall.

I managed to play hockey in a not-too-brutal-for-my-weak-ass-body way. I played very short shifts. Didn't want to reach in my energy reserves at all. It was FUN. That's why we say we "play" hockey. But fun or not, this is probably my last year. That is if I want to start running marathons and improve at running, because playing hockey replaces a workout day, not a recovery day. And even if I play in an "office" league (no contacts, sticks stay low, noone wants to get hurt), the risks of injury are still higher than in running IMO.

A treadmill, I don't know where I'd put it. I know where almost anyone would put it if they lived in my house, in the basement, but I'm 6'6" tall. The ceilings in my basement are not a standard 8' high. I'd have to measure, but I don't think I'd be comfortable.

You can always find reasons to avoid something... You could take a membership at a gym if you can't have a TM in your house. Or you can run outside, like many others do up North (I think it's crazy, but some people think it's crazy to run 20 miles on a TM...) Your kids won't stop growing because their sleep was interrupted as their dad got up at 4:30 a.m. to get ready. They will probably sleep through it, or they will wake up and keep you entertained. No, it won't make you a bad father, trust me. And like I said, the Best Western has suites (2 rooms connected). Ottawa has like 5 streets in it. You won't get lost.

Or you could train for the Montreal Scotia Bank this spring and save the marathon for September if you don't think you are ready. That sounds very reasonable to me. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

That's what I did up until now: race local.

For better or worse, this has been my strategy. Other than the one I described previously, I have not traveled more than 45 min for a race. Some people are trying to be 50-staters; I am instead just slowly expanding the radius from my home.

Dave

B-Plus

Ottawa is on my bucket list. I think you could also train it there if you don't want to drive, but of course driving would be more economical if the family is joining you. There are some other places with suites as well. I once stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at the Albert at Bay. If the start is where I think it is, it will be slightly far (maybe 15 min walk) but still manageable.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For a first marathon, I would recommend local. There is nothing better than your own kitchen and bed the night before a stressful first marathon.  Says me, the one that travels for 99% of hers.

Damaris

Cyberic

You can always find reasons to avoid something...

Avoid running on a treadmill? Yes, I'm trying very hard to find alternatives as I want to keep my running pure (how poetic, I'm a musician)

Avoid running away from home? Yes, maybe I'm finding excuses

Avoid training? Avoir running a marathon? I don't think I am. I'm just considering the options, and finding pros and cons.

happylily

Avoid running on a treadmill? Yes, I'm trying very hard to find alternatives as I want to keep my running pure (how poetic, I'm a musician)

Avoid running away from home? Yes, maybe I'm finding excuses

Avoid training? Avoir running a marathon? I don't think I am. I'm just considering the options, and finding pros and cons.

I know you're not trying to avoid training for a marathon. I think you made a valid point about winter training being difficult for you. I respect your choice of not running on a TM, it's certainly not for everyone. But training for a good marathon for you (meaning if you want a shot at a sub-3:20 like your HM PR indicates you can run) will require you to run more kilometres than you have in the past. If you prefer to do this in the summer, then it would make sense to run the Montreal marathon in September and use your spring training to get even faster and build a bigger base. There is no rush for the marathon. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Weird Google results:

While looking at reviews for Lake Placid bars (since it is not exactly a mecca for single women), a nightclub came up along with a story about Lolo Jones getting kicked out of it during bobsled training.  Bad timing, but I might have to go there tomorrow anyway.  Tongue

Cyberic

I know you're not trying to avoid training for a marathon. I think you made a valid point about winter training being difficult for you. I respect your choice of not running on a TM, it's certainly not for everyone. But training for a good marathon for you (meaning if you want a shot at a sub-3:20 like your HM PR indicates you can run) will require you to run more kilometres than you have in the past. If you prefer to do this in the summer, then it would make sense to run the Montreal marathon in September and use your spring training to get even faster and build a bigger base. There is no rush for the marathon. 

Wise words that reflect what I was thinking up until a couple of days ago. I keep getting invited to run Ottawa (family friends, runners). They were in Montreal Sunday, they ran the 10k. Saw them afterwards and they invited us, again, to the biggest running event in Canada. That's why running the marathon in Ottawa became food for thought.

Don't worry lily, if I decide to go ahead with it, I'll train appropriately Smile

LRB

Says me, the one that travels for 99% of hers.

That was hilarious!

LRB

Weird Google results:

While looking at reviews for Lake Placid bars (since it is not exactly a mecca for single women), a nightclub came up along with a story about Lolo Jones getting kicked out of it during bobsled training.  Bad timing, but I might have to go there tomorrow anyway.  Tongue

If Lolo was there, I am there! 

B-Plus

If Lolo was there, I am there! 

Lolol