Beginners and Beyond

National anthem before races (Read 97 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Agree.

I do stand,hat off, hand over heart etc. and I teach the respect and tradition.  But it is a free country so do or do not.

As for Texas - yes Pledge to the Texas Flag every morning at my DDs school.

In my experience, the National Anthem is sung here at all but the most obscure of races.

I do not mind it as I think it is one of the few moments in our daily lives where most people are one. I found this particularly true after the attacks on 9/11.

I do not believe however, that standing for it means you agree with our country's policies.  I also do not believe a person needs to offer a reason as to why they do or do not stand for it as it is their right.

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness and was made to sit during it and not allowed to participate in one of a dozen other things that EVERYONE ELSE was participating in, which for a kid is about as close to cruel and unusual punishment as it gets. Thanks ma! 

I thus try not to judge anyone who does not stand for it in part because you just never know what their reason(s) is/are but more importantly (at least in this country), they have that right.

That they have that right supersedes what I may personally think about an issue or subject. So for me, having those rights whether you agree or disagree with a person is easily one of the coolest things about living in America.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, San Antonio is "Military City USA"...we have 5 military bases here and thousands of retired military, civil service, DoD, government workers, etc., around here.  The National Anthem is pretty much played around here before almost every race I do.  For this area, because of our population make-up, it's kind of a sign of respect and a 'thank-you' to those who serve and do serve.  As retired military, the anthem also has significant personal meaning to me as it reminds me of my time in service, of companions lost during my time in, and of friends currently serving in the military - like my good friend Col. Susan Frondy - and the sacrifices and price they and their families sometimes pay when they serve.  It may sound silly to some, but even when I'm home and watching football games, I stand up even there for the anthem when it's played on TV before the game.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

MI_Tim

Funny, I have no memory of the national anthem playing at any of my races. I'm sure they must've done it at least for the marathons, but I guess I had other things on my mind. And was already standing up.

I don't see the point of it at races or sporting events in general, but have just come to expect it. And weird only in hindsight that we had to say the Pledge of Allegiance every single day at school, from K through 12. Even weirder that at schools in Texas, that is accompanied by the pledge to the Texas flag. Really.

Yes.  I still can recite it.

Being near the border, we sometimes have Canadian and US anthems at some of the area races.  Sorry if that's already mentioned.  At my most recent race they didn't have anyone to sing, so they just recited the pledge of allegiance.

Most races i've run in play it, I'm usually just starting  to  turn on my ipod at that time anyway.

LRB

Being near the order, we sometimes have Canadian and US anthems at some of the area races. 

This reminds me of a young lady who killed the Canadian anthem at a race once. I was like wow she's good!

Someone has sung (live, not recording) the national anthem at all of the races I've attended except for a couple small 5ks. I grew up playing sports and the anthem was sung before every game, so it's the norm for me. It doesn't bother me when it's not performed, but it does bother me when people are disrespectful/distracting during it (e.g., talking or active stretching). Not just because it's the anthem, but because it's usually a volunteer/community member giving a performance and a couple minutes isn't too long to be polite.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Cyberic

but because it's usually a volunteer/community member giving a performance and a couple minutes isn't too long to be polite.

That is good point.

I'm glad I live in an area where they don't sing at races, so I don't have to choose between active stretching and being polite.

B-Plus

That is good point.

I'm glad I live in an area where they don't sing at races, so I don't have to choose between active stretching and being polite.

You can sing Mon Pays to yourself in your head, lol.