Beginners and Beyond

Met Olympic Marathon Runner - Estonia (Read 23 times)

Ric-G

If anyone cares to know a few facts about an Olympic marathon runner…I got to meet one last nite.

His name is Tiidrek Nurme from Estonia. Apparently a neighbor up the street is affiliated with Athletes in Action and they were able to show him around the area. When I got to my neighbor’s house a group was already there hearing him give the skinny on the Olympics. Here are a few factoids I picked up on: This was only his second marathon he had finished. He only started running marathons about a year ago after having been a 1500 and 3000 meter guy. Anyway he finished the Rio Olympic marathon in 2:20.

He passed around the running watch which he used during the Olympics – garmin 920xt. He used nike lunaracer 3 shoes for the race. Interestingly he remarked that even among the Olympic runners, they are too amped up at start and make bad pacing decisions. He said he was about 120th after the halfway point, but then proceeded to pass 50 to 60 guys during the second half and finished about 63rd or so. He also said the runners complained about the late start time (9:30 local). He did have a good collection of Olympic pins which were cool to see. And he passed around a commemorative participation (my words) medal that each athlete gets in a presentation box. I never knew that.

All in all, it was neat to be there firsthand and get some of the lowdown from a guy like that. And he did talk about the Estonian triplet marathon girls. He said they got a lot of attention while there. Cool guy, I hope to see him again next time.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Detroit starts at 7:00, and is one of only a few that does (that I know of). It's actually perfect as far as I am concerned, too bad my opinion counts for squat. lol

delicate flower

So they DO get medals then!  Ok, now I'd like to run the Olympic marathon.

<3

Cyberic

That must have been cool Ric. You don't get to have real good conversations with Olympians too often.

Funny how I ran a part of my morning run today with a local 65 yo woman I know who was telling me she beat the Canadian record in the 5K this past weekend in the W65-69 category, with a 21:15 or something like that (it was 21 something, I'm certain). She also holds the W60-64 record and altogether about 15 Canadian records of hers still hold.

Her name is Diane Légaré http://www.runnersworld.com/masters/diane-legare

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So they DO get medals then!  Ok, now I'd like to run the Olympic marathon.

Find the right country to immigrate to and you might be able to get in. Saint Helena's national record is 4:06:47.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Find the right country to immigrate to and you might be able to get in. Saint Helena's national record is 4:06:47.

Do I look Saint Helenish?

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is cool, Ric!

LRB, 7am is almost too late. 

Damaris

LRB

That is cool, Ric!

LRB, 7am is almost too late. 

Yeah, down there, they are passing out age group awards by then.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Do I look Saint Helenish?

Does Sifan Hassan look Dutch?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Detroit starts at 7:00, and is one of only a few that does (that I know of). It's actually perfect as far as I am concerned, too bad my opinion counts for squat. lol

Tacoma started at 7:00. They all should. You're not sleeping the night before anyway.

Victoria, OTOH, starts at 8:45, WTF? It better be a cool day, or I'm gonna be pissed.

Dave

LRB

Tacoma started at 7:00. They all should. You're not sleeping the night before anyway.

Victoria, OTOH, starts at 8:45, WTF? It better be a cool day, or I'm gonna be pissed.

It's never too early to start stalking!

It's never too early to start stalking!

Cloudy, 55/45. Awesome. And it'll be even cooler in Celsius.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cloudy, 55/45. Awesome. And it'll be even cooler in Celsius.

Ooh.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am just happy to see my Cali race in the mid 50s.  It's like 100F cooler than here. 

Damaris