Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 35 times)

LRB

Good morning!

I ran 3.2 slow and awkward miles.  I planned on more, but the legs and the fog helped me decide to cut it short.

I'm trying to use strategy on my buildup - He who fights and runs away...

Lives to fight and run another day. Cool

LRB

Morning.  I have Pilates tonight.  Went to bed in pain but woke up like nothing, so I'll try a 3 on the TM or a bike ride tonight.

You're all over the place, poor thing.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You're all over the place, poor thing.

hoping not for long!

Damaris

on my way to badass

I ran 7.27.

Stepped in a flippin' ankle deep puddle like 30 seconds in.  If it had been the other foot, I wouldn't have needed to ice my heel afterwards. Big grin

Other than rolling an ankle a few yards in, that has to be one of the worst things that could happen that didn't involve a car.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

LRB

So somewhere between my side door at home and desk at work I dropped a $100 bill. I retraced my steps at work so hopefully it's in the driveway or on the landing at home. I could buy a lot of scratch off tickets with that if I was just going to throw some shit away. 

LRB

Other than rolling an ankle a few yards in, that has to be one of the worst things that could happen that didn't involve a car.

lol

They were new shoes too. 

Cyberic

So somewhere between my side door at home and desk at work I dropped a $100 bill. I retraced my steps at work so hopefully it's in the driveway or on the landing at home. I could buy a lot of scratch off tickets with that if I was just going to throw some shit away. 

Sheeet, that sucks.

In other news, I ran my intervals. At least I've accomplished something today.

LRB

Sheeet, that sucks.

In other news, I ran my intervals. At least I've accomplished something today.

Your day is done brother. At least that's my thought after speed work or a long run. Over! 👍

No more marathons

Since it's longer (2 minutes vs 1) can't you just run them less hard?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did.  Really didn't have much choice.

The hill I run has about a 5% grade for the first third, and then between 10 and 12% for the final two thirds.  There is simply no way (at least for me) to run that fast.

Turns out my recovery running back down the hill was faster than the run up.

But I've found something I really like about Strava.  They have a Grade Adjusted Pace feature that gives you a calculated pace based on the elevation changes.  I'm going to interpret that as somewhat equivalent to effort.  So even though my real pace was slow my equivalent pace was between 5K and 10K pace.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Yeah, that's pretty much what I did.  Really didn't have much choice.

The hill I run has about a 5% grade for the first third, and then between 10 and 12% for the final two thirds.  There is simply no way (at least for me) to run that fast.

Turns out my recovery running back down the hill was faster than the run up.

But I've found something I really like about Strava.  They have a Grade Adjusted Pace feature that gives you a calculated pace based on the elevation changes.  I'm going to interpret that as somewhat equivalent to effort.  So even though my real pace was slow my equivalent pace was between 5K and 10K pace.

I never bothered to learn grade percentages and what they meant, but it sounds like you nailed it. Nicely done sir. 👍

No more marathons

Yeah it seems as if some clarification is in order. Hill sprints and hill repeats are two different things. At 2 effin minutes long, I would think those are repeats...or at least I would pray they were. lol

I've not figured out what you are supposed to do on hill workouts.

I've always just tried to run as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I'm glad I noticed the Strava information that adjusts for grade - that at least gives me something to (somewhat) gauge my effort.

Whether it's accurate or not is critical - as long as it's consistent I can then determine the effort of one workout vs. another.

He's a leaker!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

San Antonio weather is nuts in the winter. Brisk mornings this week, followed by the temp shooting up into the 80s...was in the 80s yesterday and will be in the 80s again today.  Did 4 miles this morning around the UTSA campus, starting around 6:30 a.m.  Weather was pretty nice, around 53 degrees when I started, about 56 when I finished, and a nice sunrise to watch too as I ran along.

My vehicle has now been kicked out of the home garage, as mine is old, and my wife just brought home her new Mazda 6 last night...apparently the new car gets the garage lodging, lol.

Good luck with the dream book, LRB.  Umm..and you are carying $100 bills because.... ?

Hope the pain keeps staying away for you, Damaris.

Dang, Cyberic, sounds like you need a get-away down here to sunny San Antonio so you can sit on the Riverwalk for a while, drink margaritas and watch all the people go by, get out of that weather.

I don't blame you, StoneFence, I'd lack ambition in that stuff too.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I found my money. I had put it in one of the 179 zippered pockets on my jacket so it wouldn't fall out and completely forgot about it. That's one of those things about early morning runs, there is shit I do or think about beforehand that leaves my mind when I'm done like it was never there.

No more marathons

I never bothered to learn grade percentages and what they meant, but it sounds like you nailed it. Nicely done sir. 👍

Yeah, they are a PITA to calculate but Strava really makes it easy.

Their elevation charts automatically calculate the grade as you move along the line, and the Grade Adjusted Pace (GAP) is automatically calculated for every split.

For instance - my 4th repeat actual pace was 9:53 minutes per mile, but the calculated GAP was 6:55.

At least that makes me feel less like a slug.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

I found my money. I had put it in one of the 179 zippered pockets on my jacket so it wouldn't fall out and completely forgot about it. That's one of those things about early morning runs, there is shit I do or think about beforehand that leaves my mind when I'm done like it was never there.

👍👍👍👍👍

He's a leaker!