Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos - Big Red and Barbacoa 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

BEFORE THE START

My 38th race of 2016 was on Aug 14, the Big Red and Barbacoa 5K held at Comanche Park in San Antonio. This inaugural 5K supports the San Antonio Eagles Athletic Club, a nonprofit organization designed to expose  youth to the sport of track & field and running.   Pretty short drive from where I live so got to sleep in a bit.  Arrived at 7 a.m., about an hour before start time, met my friend Karen to give her her 'goody bag' which I'd picked up for her the day before; and then wandered around getting some pre-start photos.

Nice, big pavilion for all the pre-and-post race activities

photo 023_zpslqt3gzl1.jpg

Me, with friends Karen and Bernadette.  This was the second 5K of the weekend for all 3 of us as on Saturday,  Aug 13, we all did the SMAsh 5K.

photo 010_zpsy38yokfb.jpg

photo 011_zpsh6qlrhwb.jpg

photo 009_zps0u0oaotu.jpg

Yes, my secret is out...I am an Alien..and this undercover "Men In Black" agent finally caught me...

photo 025_zps3utr3okx.jpg

My friend Minnie of iaapweb.com, the race management company that did the course setup, timing, results, etc

photo 001_zpsupcoobma.jpg

My friends Karen and Loan

photo 002_zpsgeffomgn.jpg

Handing out those timing chips

photo 004_zpsrhdhtsip.jpg

Our Music Man for the event

photo 008_zpsxssrhjje.jpg

Getting some of the after-race goodies ready

photo 018_zps54xuxq4g.jpg

Race Director (left) and volunteers

photo 005_zpslbrys4zu.jpg

A photo of the Official Photographer, taken by the unofficial photographer

photo 028_zpsbomvfzru.jpg

Our MC for this event.  He did a great job.

photo 032_zpslbmbmuuw.jpg

MC with our Music Man and another volunteer. The red shirts these guys are wearing are the very nice tech-tee race shirts that participants got.

photo 060_zpsu2c7sc73.jpg

My friend Ernie here (left) is obviously an angel..you can see his halo of light behind his head; or maybe he is the guardian angel for my other friends here, Cecy and Victor

photo 029_zpsmtqx2smt.jpg

Other participants, volunteers, etc

photo 003_zpsxoenzlke.jpg

photo 006_zpshjm8vuzu.jpg

photo 007_zpsu3saxx2z.jpg

photo 012_zpsyb9mobqc.jpg

photo 013_zpsogqzfkle.jpg

photo 014_zpsyarezj81.jpg

photo 015_zpsd64prryz.jpg

photo 016_zps8wxgrohb.jpg

photo 017_zps4cnmmqxm.jpg

photo 019_zpsifxd1ium.jpg

photo 020_zps8il82pjs.jpg

photo 021_zpsaujmd0tz.jpg

photo 022_zpsf1pcaeqk.jpg

photo 024_zpsmopbqmed.jpg

photo 027_zpsyvutrkfa.jpg

photo 030_zps6ftmf5v6.jpg

photo 031_zps1fvnw0ba.jpg

This military vet lady did a beautiful job of singing the National Anthem

photo 033_zpsnpla3uwp.jpg

And then we were lined up and waiting to go....

photo 034_zpsyn1nbnar.jpg

ON THE COURSE

And we are off!  Temp, a nice 74 degrees or so, but very humid, with high dewpoint, as thunderstorms were moving into the area; so we had lots of cloud cover.  The course was done on a paved trail in the park, an out-and-back, and very flat.  Which I am sure was greatly appreciated by the participants doing this one who had done the EXTREMELY hilly Dragon's Den event the day before.  It was a very thoughtful and well planned course, laid out by my friend Paul Baultutis, who also works for iaap.  Good job, Paul!

photo 035_zpspgr0rgxg.jpg

photo 036_zpsh7c97jik.jpg

photo 037_zpsbh5xw7so.jpg

photo 038_zpsbacp7jvy.jpg

photo 039_zpsxrx6nif4.jpg

photo 040_zpsuyouevw6.jpg

I've made the turn-around point now and am heading back to the finish line

photo 041_zpsu5yewna7.jpg

photo 042_zpswaohsqzg.jpg

photo 043_zps4hzhnhru.jpg

photo 044_zpsqrcmadkb.jpg

photo 045_zpsr3smxggj.jpg

photo 046_zpsshqxkgnx.jpg

Ernie coming in to the finish.

photo 067_zpsbxtuskoc.jpg

photo 068_zpsuc1qtrit.jpg

I usually take 3 walk breaks during a 5K, but I was feeling pretty good for this one, so  I ran the last 1.2 miles nonstop all the way to finish, ending up with a time of 34:27.  Pretty close to what my normal 5K time is, so the adductor I tore back in March is now almost back to 100%.  This race was a nice injury recovery mental confidence booster for me, and I did this one a tad faster than the 5K I'd done on Saturday, the day before this 5K.

AFTER THE FINISH

Very nice race for me...and the doggie got his reward!  

photo 057_zpsy4fhjmgf.jpg

Minnie and doggie Cocoa, and Minnie's friend, cheering people in at the finish.

photo 047_zpszpozduiv.jpg

Happy finishers; supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo 048_zpsumoi9wxf.jpg

photo 049_zpspzbdpvyy.jpg

photo 050_zps5actcjfn.jpg

photo 051_zps094osnnp.jpg

Displaying their 'taco medals' made by my talented friend, Margaret.

photo 052_zpslzgpfq6d.jpg

photo 053_zpsensrh8rc.jpg

photo 054_zpsmokdtekj.jpg

photo 055_zpsdo0htp2k.jpg

photo 059_zpsdv57zkyf.jpg

photo 065_zpslclphils.jpg

My very speedy friend, Tanya, who was first woman overall

photo 056_zpsovdgrldr.jpg

photo 082_zpsimgsperi.jpg

And more...

photo 083_zpsosrvddam.jpg

photo 084_zpsg9lpx9l6.jpg

photo 061_zpsos30kh55.jpg

photo 062_zpsevbslksi.jpg

photo 063_zpswrivpqqz.jpg

photo 064_zpsqpaisrtf.jpg

photo 066_zps3u9lmrt8.jpg

photo 069_zpswgrzkbbv.jpg

photo 079_zpsahibo5ap.jpg

photo 070_zps0jwqzzus.jpg

photo 071_zpsadnvolql.jpg

Go Eagles, aka Team RWB (Red White and Blue), a veteran's organization I am a member of.  Many many of my fellow Eagles were at this event.

photo 076_zps75quq5ur.jpg

photo 080_zpsoibxfw6k.jpg

photo 081_zpscantdo6j.jpg

The 'post-race goodies crew" handing out all the drinks and food and doing all the prep, pre-race and during the race.  Thanks so much!

photo 077_zpsl6khypic.jpg

Even the iaap crew gets to eat once in a while... 

photo 078_zpsosud1thm.jpg

Just before I headed home....a group photo of the iaapweb.com folks - who had to be out there WAAAAY early to get everything set up for we participants; and then break everything down after.  Thank all of you for being out there for us!

photo 085_zps7rucfudc.jpg

They invited me to be in a photo with them.  Yellow shirt, next to my very speedy friend, John.  Of course, I didn't really notice John, cuz I was standing next to my 'running crush" Ceci.   photo 087_zpswievt5na.jpg

The 'Taco Medal' - of which I kindly got one - and the Big Red and Barbasosa 5K medals given out as awards.

photo 089_zps0f0zo6kp.jpg

photo 090_zps9e2phydz.jpg

EPILOGUE

A really very nicely done inaugural event!  Done at a great location too. I think Comanche Park is probably one of the best kept secrets in San Antonio as far as parks go...very nice facilities and trails, lots of shade along the trails, and so forth.  Really surprised this park is not used for more races.  Nicely designed course for this event;  lots of nice race stuff - Big Red, barbacoa tacos, sausages on a stick,  music playing for us, very nice tech-tee race shirts, nicely designed race medal, and a good cause for an event.  This event had a very nice turnout for an inaugural race and I hope the turn-out continues in the future because this is a good one to do.  Definitely will be on my race calendar again!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt