Beginners and Beyond

SaturDailies (Read 21 times)

onemile

The running club group runs here are very cliquey and I've always ended up running alone at those but this other running group, I had people to run and chat with both times I've gone

LRB

The running club group runs here are very cliquey and I've always ended up running alone at those but this other running group, I had people to run and chat with both times I've gone

Any news on RRP? Is he allowed to acknowledge you if you cross paths or did she put the kibosh on even that?

LRB

Me too. That makes me feel better lol.

Group runs provide the impetus for me to get up and get out and get the stupid thing done where I otherwise would procrastinate. For that reason alone they are worth the inconvenience especially where long runs are concerned because there's nothing about running easy for 2 - 3 hours that excites me!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Group runs provide the impetus for me to get up and get out and get the stupid thing done where I otherwise would procrastinate. For that reason alone they are worth the inconvenience especially where long runs are concerned because there's nothing about running easy for 2 - 3 hours that excites me!

I don't meet them every week but I like the social aspect of it. Especially at races. Our group is the second larges in Indianapolis so our tent is off the hook! It's nice to have a place to leave my gear for marathons and have people stay there to see my slow finish. And one of the guys runs and takes amazing pictures so most of my race pictures are his.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

I passed a house where an old man was sitting outside. I waved at him, then noticed a sign that said "100 years, 1200 months, 52000 weeks, " etc. I had to stop and chat. He  really was 100 years old and had been in Army intelligence during WW II and later had been a local politician and mayor of Chambersburg for many years. He offered me a soda or beer and pizza, left over from an earlier party, one of several this week. I drank a cold diet coke while we talked, then left to finish the run when he said he was late for his afternoon nap. I ended up with 7 miles.

This is absolutely lovely 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

+1.

Damaris

delicate flower

+2.

Also related, wife wanted to take her paddleboard out this evening so I went with her and got a 2600 yard open water swim done.  I stopped mid-swim and floated in the water to get some rest and my bearings, and a lady in a kayak pulled up next to me and started to talk racing with me.  She told me her entire 2021 race schedule and was asking about mine.  Here I am 1000 yards out in the middle of this big lake, bobbing on my safety buoy and having a chat with a stranger about racing.  Good times.

FYI - this is a swim buoy.  Grab onto it for rest, and it lets boaters see you, which they appreciate.

<3

My last group run. Typical size for those things around these parts which is completely irrelevant because after the 1st mile or 2 you're running alone.

That never really happens with this group unless you want it to. They map out routes in advance with a variety of distances ranging from (generally) 3 to 13 miles, longer if someone requests it. Routes are posted on the FB group page and Meetup group page at the beginning of the week; people post what they’re running and target pace. Paces are all over the map. So some sub-groups are pre-formed during the week, the rest comes together on the morning of the run. 

I sort of expected cliquiness when I started; many have been running together for years and are friends outside the runs. But everyone has been super friendly and welcoming. It’s been a good thing for me, I’ve enjoyed the social aspect and company on long runs. Except it’s spoiled me, making solo LRs even more drudgery than before, when it was all I knew.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Same for us. No one runs my pace. And those that are slower than me end up running faster than me because they have 2-3 miles while I have 7-10.

I don't mind. I like running alone. Most of the time by Mile 2 the 6-7mm runners are coming back and those guys give me kudos and thumbs up like I'm in the Olympics.

Damaris