Beginners and Beyond

To push it or not to push it (this saturday's HM) (Read 79 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't know if I would recommend using the double + 15 minutes formula to someone averaging around 40mpw.

I would use double +20-25 for first time marathoners at that mileage.

And I agree with DaveP.  Unless her HM is 10 minutes soft, she won't be able to run close to 4 hours.  Not on those miles.

Damaris

Hip Redux

My husband ran a 3:31 first full marathon on ~35 MPW average, and the McMillan estimate would have been 3:30.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My husband ran a 3:31 first full marathon on ~35 MPW average, and the McMillan estimate would have been 3:30.

Your husband is a freak lol, no, men in good/great shape have a more legit chance at breaking sub 4 than short and stubby me.

But let us forget about a sub 4, just forget it was ever mentioned lol.

Damn it D, when are you ever going to run the Monumental or any race in indiana?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe next year if I can convince the hubby.

Damaris

Hip Redux

Your husband is a freak lol, no, men in good/great shape have a more legit chance at breaking sub 4 than short and stubby me.

Damn it D, when are you ever going to run the Monumental or any race in indiana?

He was a good 35 pounds overweight too.  Smile

onemile

Who needs Damaris? I will be there.  

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Onemile you are seriously like faster than me lol, I can say hi to you before the start but after we cross the start you will leave in the dust lol.

Oski, your hubs is most definitely a freak lol.

Ok D.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

FreeSoul, I think you should just push it....push it good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

\

Whatever you decide, good luck, and enjoy!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

FreeSoul, I think you should just push it....push it good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

\

Whatever you decide, good luck, and enjoy!

Lol

PRs

MothAudio

I figured not everyone needs to average 70 mpw, but I wasn't going to argue with anyone.  I know more mileage helps, but I also know speed workouts play a big part as well, and of course some people are just fast even with distances like 26.2 

I didn't focus on any speed workouts during my training, mainly because this is my first and I just want to finish, but I did work on getting comfortable with paces like 9:30-10:00 for distances over 16 miles and all my runs, including my long runs show progression from mile 1 to the last.

I'm not saying that I will see progression like that during the marathon, but I am hoping that my training will help me finish strong.

AND ANOTHER QUESTION:

Have you guys perfected the drinking some water while still running? Or even gels/gu, because I have not quite perfected that without choking on the water so I have had to come to a walk while consuming the gu and water or gatorade. I would like to not have to come to a walk, but I don't want to be choking my guts out damn it.

I don't know how relevant this is to your current situation but just to clarify for onlookers.

As you can see from my 1st post, my early marathon adventures were very atypical of any marathon training schedule. Sure, I did a handful of 20 milers and some long[er] tempo runs but the truth is that two of my most successsful marathons were not built on traditional marathon programs [even my master PB came off 5k training followed by six [6] weeks of marathon workouts]. Instead it was based off 5k - 10k training. And rather than blend in / tune my speed during the marathon schedule I either did that in the months leading up to it or basically trained like a 10k runner and then added some long runs.

This is the path that many elites have used to achieve race day success, though I bet they were MUCH more comprehensive in the actual marathon schedule but the basic principal are similar. Get as fast as you can at shorter distances; 3k - half marathon and then bump up your miles and add > extend your speed endurance [race pace] workouts progressively thru your marathon schedule. You don't want to work on your speed during your marathon schedule.

When I ran my debut marathon I was coming off racing 10ks with a PB of 40:44 [6:33 pace]. And when I was able to slow down by 80 sec./mile in the marathon do you know how easy that pace [8:13] felt? It was a like jogging. And this was off ZERO training [unless you count one 17 miler]. For the next three years I gradually added more marathon workouts but my schedule looked more like a 10k runner plus a few long runs. I was working on my speed in the spring - summer and then ramped up my miles, added a few long runs and was able to blitz the 1st 20 miles of the marathon. My lack of overall miles / endurance eventually caught up with me each year as I crashed the last 10k. But if I'd averaged 50 mpw instead of peaking with one [1] 50 mile week I know I could have run 5-10 minutes faster.

Moral of the story; work on your speed 1st, then carry that speed to longer distances as you add more miles. Most people do just the opposite.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Who needs Damaris? I will be there.  

Damaris

DavePNW

Moral of the story; work on your speed 1st, then carry that speed to longer distances as you add more miles. Most people do just the opposite.

Too late! I ran 3 HM's & 3 marathons before I ever even tried a 5k or 10k. It's just how my running hobby happened to evolve, probably the same with a lot of others.

Interesting article from Jeff, one of the great RA bloggers, explaining why I did it wrong.

Been working on speed a lot more in my current cycle, so hopefully that will help.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Who wants to run 5Ks and 10Ks, pfffttt.   Count me out of HMs too.  Thank you!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Who wants to run 5Ks and 10Ks, pfffttt.   Count me out of HMs too.  Thank you!

Running wimps like me...   

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

FS

I haven't followed the whole thread so this may have already come up.

Based on your previous HM PR of 1:56.  Doubled +15 minutes puts you at a 4:07 Marathon finish time.

Do you feel as though you are in better shape now?  Has your training been more/ less/ better?

At what fatigue level were you during that HM PR?

Except that McMillan's marathon equivalent time for a 1:56 HM is 4:04, plus 15 minutes, you get 4:19. You're far from 4:00, or even 4:07.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010