Beginners and Beyond

NRR: Olympic Snowboard Cross (Read 40 times)

It's no secret that many of the events added in the last 10-15 years have been because they are TV friendly, especially US TV. Beach volleyball, the snowboarding events, team figure skating are all examples. The IOC happily admit they are trying to grow the games' popularity and commercial appeal. They gave up trying to maintain the illusion of "amateurism" long ago.

I'm fine with it, if the games aren't commercially viable they will fade away eventually.

Never able to figure out why they added that one.

Dave

Hip Redux

Boobs.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Sarcasm? Are you trying to tell me those bikinis they play in aren't designed solely to increase their athletic performance? That's crazy talk!

Love the Half

Gotta admit I like snowboard cross.  Tough, hard ass competition.  I also understand why the IOC goes for TV ratings and they'd be stupid not to do so.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

So where the hell is it?  The only thing I have seen the past couple of days is hockey on seemingly every station that carries the games.  ZZZZZ's

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

OK, so what was your point?  Do you like cross or not, man?

Not particularly religious so...

So where the hell is it?  The only thing I have seen the past couple of days is hockey on seemingly every station that carries the games.  ZZZZZ's

You missed it! Men's was on in primetime last night. Women's was a couple days ago, in primetime. When are you watching? Seems they only show full hockey games in the middle of the day, on NBCSN.

Dave

Boobs.

Well there is not really much in the way of boobs there, just plenty of exposed flesh.

Dave

LRB

I do not know, it just seems that hockey has been shoved down my throat the last couple of days.  And it is on eight months out of the year, show me some shit that I do not normally see.  Not the Check & Go Public versus Slow Vodka  >:-/

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I didn't see boardcross, but it sounds interesting akin to any of the other racing events.   I would probably dig it.

I did see the 10,000m mens cross country skiing, the end was badass but the majority of the race not so exciting.  Of course that can be said for most endurance races.

Will run for scenery.

Pretty much just a novelty sport, IMO, but at least it's a sport.  And it's fun (for a few minutes) to watch snowboarders wipe out and bust their ass.  But still nowhere near as impressive as the (timed) skiing events.  Watching those guysngals in slo-mo is amazing.  Watching snowboard cross is like watching   someone gamble.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

You better believe I'm watching ski cross tonight. Video of one of the quarterfinal finishes:

VIDEO HERE

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

You better believe I'm watching ski cross tonight. Video of one of the quarterfinal finishes:

VIDEO HERE

Haha pretty much sums up why ski cross/ snowboard cross are so much fun