Beginners and Beyond

Smoky Mountain Half Marathon RR (Read 40 times)

GinnyinPA

It really depends on how your ankle heals.  Some people with sprained ankles are good in a week, some take six weeks or more to heal.  How does it feel now?

It is ironic that you sprained your ankle while training for Detroit, while I sprained my ankle running Detroit!! The three days I took off after the race were all that I needed though and it never was a problem after that. And until now, I have never even mentioned it.

As far as marathon goal times and predictions go, I am the absolute last person you want to take marathon advice from. lol

And I banged up my knee on a training run a week before Detroit.

Great job on the race - holding it together & staying on pace that long, after the fall and on an uphill course. Well done.

And the second part above is wrong - in fact I am the last person you want to take marathon advice from. Lololol.

But a few comments anyway. I'm no doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I would certainly be concerned about your ankle. Even though you were able to race on it, you may likely have made it worse by doing so, and delayed your recovery. Think about it - can you imagine anyone but one of us idiot runners spraining an ankle then immediately running 13 miles on it? After I hurt my knee before Detroit, I took virtually that entire week off, then ran the race. It was somewhat painful but did not really seem to affect me that much (although I tanked at the end). But afterwards I ended up being sidelined for a couple months. So, play it by ear. If you were a normal (non-runner) human, probably no way you should run Detroit. But if you can walk, you're probably going to want to run it. And I think you would really enjoy it, they put on a really nice race.

Regarding goal time - see my previous statement. And McMillan is a dick. But my relevant data point is that a couple years ago, I turned a cold, flat 1:48 half into a warm, hilly 4:06 marathon 8 weeks later.  You are going from warm/hilly to cold/flat. So if you are healthy, 4:10 actually sounds pretty conservative to me.

Congrats again & good luck with your ankle!

Dave

Buelligan

I've been to the Rod Run before... geez, seems like another lifetime ago, 1985 or so.