Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: San Antonio RoadRunners Fun 5K and Annual Picnic (Read 32 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

BEFORE THE 5K

June 28, 2014 was the San Antonio RoadRunners annual picnic and club meeting, which included a Fun Run 5K.  The 5K started at 11 a.m. - a little late in the morning for a 5K in Texas so, yes, it was pretty warm, 83 degrees, 87% humidity, dew-point of 73.  Thankfully, Mother Nature gave us lots of cloud cover and there were some nice shade trees along some of the course.   The folks doing the 5K had to check in by 10:45 a.m. so I got a few photos before we started.

"Great Legs" Sally Rios, our club Volunteer Coordinator and also runs the shop that sells club gear.  She is one of the hardest working folks I know in the club, helping with all the club races over the year, lining up volunteers, doing packet pickup, etc.

Check-in/Registration

Besides me, there were a few other doggies there...the 4-legged kind...

C'mon, doggie...smile for the camera!

Our lunch folks for after the race was local eatery Two Bros.  BBQ....being modeled by these good folks

...no, the doggies were NOT part of the menu....

A few of the Two Bros. folks

I am an 'unofficial' photographer.  Tom, on the left, is the club's official photographer.  Check out the San Antonio RoadRunners website - http://www.saroadrunners.com/ - to view the very good slideshows he does of events.

ON THE COURSE

5K was held at Walker Ranch Park, which was just across the street from Two Bros.  This park is part of the greenway park system in San Antonio, so we did not actually have to cross the street, we went under it via a short tunnel under the overpass that was built on the road as part of this park. Very convenient.

Nice park to run in, but a lot of cement - I get why, cuz when it rains hard here and the nearby creeks flood, the trail won't get washed away - but tough on my Old Man Legs, I can only run here every once in a while.

The turn-round point at last!

Happy Finishers on a humid day - me and another "Great Legs" friend, Ronnie.

On to the Picnic!

The food at Two Bros. is good, but the line to get the food was frustratingly slow.   So Gail and I decided just to go inside and buy our lunch and then when the line got shorter we used our food tickets to get our plates, and took that home and had it for dinner later.  Worked out very well for us.   Some friends and I also split the cost of a bucket of beer - 6 beers for the price of 5, and included a variety of beers, like Dos Equus, Lone Star, etc - and so we enjoyed a nice cold beer with our food post-run.

This lady I see at a lot of local events.  She is also cancer survivor.

The picnic was just like a dream...as you can tell from the TV dream sequence photo here..

Our club President in the back there, taking care of the 'business" part of the club picnic.

The love of my life, Gail (purple shirt) - June 29, 2014, was the 30th anniversary of the day we met - and we've been together ever since that day.   Here she is with our food tickets in a finally shorter line, getting our dinner for later.  She looks THRILLED to be the one in line.

photo 046_zps002b8975.jpg

EPILOG

Aside from the logistics of a slow lunch line, it was a really nice event.  Nice fun run, good food and beer, nice 'backyard patio" to enjoy it and - the most important part of our club - GREAT people.   An example of how great they are:  Whenever I get a medal at a race - which is not often, as slow as I am, lol; my strategy is to OUTLIVE the competition!   - I donate it to San Antonio Children's Hospital (formerly Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital) to give to the cancer kids there. My club friend, Sally Rios, found out about this, as well as a few other members I interact with.  Sally donated a whole BAG of stuff for me to take to the kids..medals, scarfs.   Some of the other club members had previously given me some items when they saw me at past races this year that I've don.  So I added those to the bag to donate also.  Which I did on Sunday morning (June 29) before my run on the Riverwalk.   The charge nurses I passed the goods on to were SO happy and asked me to give all the donors a BIG thanks, the kids love getting this stuff.   Also, all the events done by the club over the year help raise scholarship money for local students and this year eight $1,000 scholarship were given out, with some of the students being presented them at the picnic.   This is just the way my club folks are, big hearts! We are a big local club - I think yesterday one of the officers mentioned we now had over 1,000 members.  I haven't met everybody, of course, but those I have met I have always liked and I always look forward to meeting more of them.   And, of course, outliving them if they are in my race age group. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Happy Gailaversary Scotty!

2 Bros? Is that like 5 guys?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Gailaversary Scotty!

2 Bros? Is that like 5 guys?

Yeah, kind of...excecpt Two Bros. isn't bankrupt. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Beautiful park, I love the trees there. They look different from what we have here. What a fun picnic! People in San Antonio always seem so nice and generous and very involved in charities and volunteer work. It must be such a pleasant community! Congratulations, Scotty, on another race and also on finding your pearl 30 years ago. You're a lucky dog! 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Scotty- Sounds like a really fun event, and thank you for all that you do to help out those kids and keep their spirits up.

SheCan

Great report, Scotty!   I know cement is hard, but other than that, it looks like a really nice course.  Wow@ how big your running club is.  No wonder there are so many races in your area.   And the welcoming spirit y'all have towards running dogs is wonderful.  I wish we hard any races that included dogs in our area (I don't own one, I have cats instead, but I love animals in general and enjoy other peoples dogs.)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Whaaat.... no Shiner Bock  ???