Beginners and Beyond

To London or not to London? Thursdailies (Read 20 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Wow!
    What time do the use for the “official” temp? I think no way it was that warm at the start.

MTA: I know it’s way too early, but my race day start temp forecast is 43! Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease

I saw this in the Boston Marathon FB group, then I confirmed it on the National Weather Service website's three day history.  The only marathon I've done that was hotter was Vermont City in 2014 when the temp got up near 80, when I was a less experienced runner, went out at goal pace, and DIED.  Space Coast got warm a couple of times but at least you get halfway through that race before the sun comes up over the horizon.   

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

^ nearly 1,000 DNF's feels like a lot.

<3

DavePNW

^ nearly 1,000 DNF's feels like a lot.

IDK, does not seem super unusual, still >96% finished. The more interesting stat to me would be the number of negative splits! It’s relatively low normally due to the course, but when we ran in 2019 I remember taking note that there were only around 700 of the 26k+ finishers. Gotta be lower this year!

Dave

sdWhiskers

126 hospital transfer seems like a big number.

DavePNW

126 hospital transfer seems like a big number.

Srsly! And the fact that one of every 9 runners had a "medical encounter"! Not to mention that 300 people who had a medical encounter on the course went on to finish anyway...maybe then had another encounter at the finish? I suppose those numbers could be skewed by individuals who had multiple encounters throughout the race. But still, those all seem like pretty big numbers. Except the number of med tents now looks small, lol.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yikes! Thoughts & prayers. I know someone who ran Berlin, overslept for their flight home, and ended up paying something ridiculous like that. A little different, because you gotta get home!

It’s mostly because we splurged on economy plus. And it cost the same as the one we booked two months ago!

At the airport!

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

sdWhiskers

Srsly! And the fact that one of every 9 runners had a "medical encounter"! Not to mention that 300 people who had a medical encounter on the course went on to finish anyway...maybe then had another encounter at the finish? I suppose those numbers could be skewed by individuals who had multiple encounters throughout the race. But still, those all seem like pretty big numbers. Except the number of med tents now looks small, lol.

I guess "medical encounter" could be any interaction with medical folks? Like needing a bandaid for a blister, or lube or sunscreen.

sdWhiskers

At the airport!

OMG this has been a whirlwind for us, can't imagine how you're feeling!! Good luck!!

DavePNW

At the airport!

Woo hoo! Please post when you arrive at the other end, so we know you got there safely. We’re like your mom.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Woo hoo! Please post when you arrive at the other end, so we know you got there safely. We’re like your mom.

I will!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We are en route to the hotel. Second night without sleep as there were several families with 5-6 kids. 😳

Damaris