Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 63 Gruene 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2063%20Gruene%205K%20and%2010K?sort=2

Full report below.     

BEFORE MY START

My 63rd race of 2018 was the Gruene 5K on Sep 8.  There was also a 10K.  Held in the historic little town of Gruene (pronounced GREEN), Texas, with start and finish at historic music and dance hall Gruene Hall, which has seen many famous singers and bands perform here; some even got their start here.  This is a very popular local area event; there were about 1200 or so participants.  Start time of 8 a.m.   I arrived about an hour before start time, got my race packet, and then had about 30 minutes before start time to get in a few photos.

Welcome to Gruene

photo IMG_5115_zpsltceeeya.jpg

Packet pickup area and post-race party area; part of the grounds of Gruene Hall

photo IMG_5119_zpszltt4vrc.jpg

Race day volunteers

photo IMG_5120_zpsopbr3o56.jpg

Our MC (right), Mark, with two lovely ladies

photo IMG_5114_zps5givgfhn.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_5113_zpsrvcgxwah.jpg

photo IMG_5116_zpsnbwywrx6.jpg

photo IMG_5117_zpsmiflmv9t.jpg

photo IMG_5118_zpsferztale.jpg

photo IMG_5121_zpsca7km1ap.jpg

photo IMG_5122_zpsbkb1fx7p.jpg

photo IMG_5123_zpslafuxuut.jpg

photo IMG_5124_zpsze6vfdsa.jpg

photo IMG_5125_zpssnu1g5ae.jpg

photo IMG_5126_zpstwcxh4kk.jpg

photo IMG_5127_zpsa6fnr2go.jpg

ON THE COURSE

There is a stormy rain front moving around in our area – lots of thunderstorms the day before the race, especially up in Texas Hill Country.  It’s pretty much been raining off-and-on all this week, but Mother Nature was kind and gave us a cloudy, overcast day with the sun coming out on occasion.  It did not rain or storm on us at all.  5K and 10K started together.  We proceeded out to a nearby very nice neighborhood, did a loop through that and then headed back toward the finish area.  As we came back to the start finish area, the 5K folks turned into the finish chute while the 10K folks continued onward, down a pretty large hill and then to a turn-round point, and then at the very last part of the race had to climb back UP that steep hill to get to the finish.  From what I understood later, some people I guess decided to switch distances while out on the course – so the timers did not get notified of this since these participants were already out and running – so the results got kind of really screwed up because of that, since those that switched on the course were, of course, not showing as switched in the database. I felt sorry for the poor timers, must have given them quite a darn mess to deal with.  As for me, I did not really worry about results, had seen some speedy guys in my age group who were also doing the 5K, so knew I probably would not place anyway.  I just kicked back and enjoyed myself.  I ended up finishing in 33:52 chip time, 34 minutes on the nose gun time.

I ran with that lady in black until my first walk break.  She was a 10K participant and did the whole course barefooot.

photo IMG_5128_zpsxzcqqyvb.jpg

photo IMG_5129_zpstmx5dxh1.jpg

photo IMG_5130_zpsstpg38lh.jpg

photo IMG_5131_zpsefg6qniy.jpg

photo IMG_5132_zpsuiyiqmdc.jpg

This was a dog-friendly event.  All the dogs were well-behaved...and I quickly ran out of the dog biscuits I was carrying

photo IMG_5133_zpspp0lpwdr.jpg

photo IMG_5134_zpsenddjasj.jpg

photo IMG_5135_zps3vznvte9.jpg

photo IMG_5136_zpsaqdyetkx.jpg

photo IMG_5137_zpsr13rcsio.jpg

photo IMG_5138_zpsf2gjj14e.jpg

photo IMG_5139_zpsvtxryskq.jpg

photo IMG_5140_zpshaffm6pv.jpg

photo IMG_5141_zps2crvfbv7.jpg

photo IMG_5142_zpszhdry5ha.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Because of the threatening storms, it was really VERY humid and with a high dewpoint, so it was quite muggy out there.  Being a fatter guy, I sweat a lot (so I won’t explode, as one comedian once said of himself, lol) so I was drenched and feeling ‘steamy’ by the time I crossed the finish line.  Luckily I was able to find parking pretty close to the start/finish area, so I shuffled to my car and sat inside for about 10 minutes with the a/c running and drinking my ice water I had brought.   Ahhh, very refreshing.  After that, out to take some photos of the ‘happy finishers’ – what I call the after photos because more people are smiling after they are done than before and on the course, lol – and whomever else…supporters, volunteers, vendors, etc.

photo IMG_5143_zpsqfwqsyot.jpg

With friend Jason, who did the 10K

photo IMG_5145_zps12xib5zh.jpg

photo IMG_5146_zps5j1cya4a.jpg

photo IMG_5147_zpsdnijyv8v.jpg

photo IMG_5148_zpszmrjjmt6.jpg

photo IMG_5149_zpsqi48ou2e.jpg

photo IMG_5150_zpsggls2lxk.jpg

photo IMG_5151_zpsdjds9f1n.jpg

photo IMG_5152_zpssgcvvpke.jpg

Yay for post-race beer! 

photo IMG_5154_zpsptgile7t.jpg

photo IMG_5156_zpsdebzzida.jpg

My barefoot running friend finished the 10K in about an hour

photo IMG_5157_zpshpaivhis.jpg

photo IMG_5158_zpsj5pq5bn6.jpg

photo IMG_5159_zps4nk40vhf.jpg

photo IMG_5160_zpstb0gvrdx.jpg

Oops!  I got the guy in 'witness protection' mode...

photo IMG_5161_zps2rsrkqi2.jpg

OK, that's a bit better..even the dog is looking at the camera now, lol

photo IMG_5162_zpsumkhvmeh.jpg

photo IMG_5163_zpsiakif7mf.jpg

Looks can be deceiving, lol.  At the finish of the 5K I was chasing the gentleman on the right.  He finished about a minute ahead of me.

photo IMG_5164_zpsbptgvd7h.jpg

photo IMG_5165_zps15e3bkxf.jpg

photo IMG_5167_zps6il4gnki.jpg

photo IMG_5168_zps4d4npzc9.jpg

photo IMG_5169_zpsooqatpdj.jpg

With the lovely Sherri, race director.  Poor lady had her hands full, with those crazy results due to some of the participants switching races with no notice

photo IMG_5170_zpsvmu47jzi.jpg

Athlete Guild timers finally getting a break from the craziness as most of the people had left by this time.  Rick kindly verified my 5K result for me.

photo IMG_5171_zpsiyfblmft.jpg

Thank you volunteers.  Out there until the very end.

photo IMG_5172_zpsmamdqk7v.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a really nice event with a nice course, put on well by local area running management company Athlete Guild.  Some nice quality race shirts, a nice course – at least for the 5K, not sure how the 10K folks felt about their course, lol – and a really nice after-party with Shiner Bock beer, sausage wraps and various other treats and give-aways from vendors, sponsors, etc.  Have done this one in the past, will assuredly do it again in the future, and would recommend it to others.

Much thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, including Athlete Guild and all the volunteers for this event; Gruene Hall for the use of their facilities and grounds; the local law enforcement that was out there for us; and, of course, all the many sponsors/vendors who help pay for all the costs of putting on a race.  Also, thank you to anyone I may not have mentioned here that was there for us too.  Much appreciated that you do all this so we participants can have an event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt