Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 30: San Antonio Roadrunners Missions 5K and 10K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.   J

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2030%20SARR%20Missions%205K%20and%2010K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 30th race of 2018 was the San Antonio Roadrunners (SARR) Mission 5K held on April 22 at Missions County Park in San Antonio.  There was also a 10K.  In addition to our event, the Alzheimer’s Association was holding their event – also a 5K and 10K – at the same location on the same day.  All good, since this park’s pavilion has ample room for everyone. And their course was along the Riverwalk, while our course was on the roads near the park, so the two races did not intersect or interfere with each other.  For before-and-after it was just one big party since, of course, lots of the participants doing each race knew each other, so we kind of all mingled together before the start and after the finish.  Start time for my 5K was 8:05.   I arrived with a bit under an hour to go and wandered around getting some photos.

Welcome to the Event

Pretty windy out here.  Flag at half-staff in memory of Barbara Bush

Tom, with friend Joan, was the official photographer.  He's been taking great photos for years for SARR events

Our MC

Me and Albert - 2 old guys with our young friend Jill

Me and my 'mountain man' friend, Don

National Anthem with the Marine Color Guard

Start line area for 10K and 5K

10K folks are gone, 5K about to start....my speedy friend Bernadette is pretty close to the front

ON THE COURSE

Weather was pretty nice.  Sunny, very low humidity, around 57 degrees at start time.  Felt a bit cooler before start time with a blowing wind, but that wind settled down after we started. I had brought a top shirt and took that off to run in my singlet underneath.  Glad I did because I got nice and warm on the course.  Nice, too, to have that dry shirt to put on after the race. The 10K started first, with we 5K folks starting about 5 – 10 minutes after them. We started near the park entrance, then out onto the park access road and then a left turn onto a main road that ran near the park.  Made a turn onto a road that went alongside the San Antonio River; went down to a turn-round point; and then back to the finish the way we had come out.  Same for the 10K folks except, of course, they went farther down for their turn-round point.  As I was heading back to the finish, the guy who ended up winning the 10K passed me.  And then a couple more.  Some speedy people in that 10K race.  I ended up with 33:08 chip time, 7th in my age group.    I did not place, of course, but all finishers got a Fiesta Medal at this one. Age Group awards in the 10K and for the 5K awards for the Top 3 Male and Female finishers and the Top 3 Masters male and female finishers and, of course, for overall male and female winner.

First walk break for me, a little past the 1/2 mile point

Me on the way to the turn-round point, saw Bernadette heading for the finish, sun behind her

Last walk break, a little past the halfway point before I run nonstop into the finish

My old-time camera started getting a bit blurry at this point...apologies to the people in these photos

JeeZ!  I gave the darn thing a whack, lol.  turned it off and on again...seemed to help..

After that, back nonstop to the finish for the last 1.2 miles.

AFTER MY FINISH

Both events had their after-parties going on, so pretty much we participants were just all mingling around from one to the other; everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Post-race goodies included sausage-on-a-stick, various types of drinks – water, sodas, and beer – various types of chips and other snacks, bananas, oranges, and more.  I just wandered around enjoying it all, munching on my sausage and drinking my beer – 1 only since I was driving – chatting with friends and, of course, taking photos.

Announcing in the finishers and plugging in the results

Is everybody happy to be done?  Party time....sausage...beer....lots of other stuff...

My friend, Chance, and his human also did the race.   Chance lost his mom this past week...she was a really good dog and loved to run too; I knew her for years, always had treats for her.  Rest in Peace, Sadie.

Bernadette, as usual, was top in her age group....but no award today...no age group awards for the 5K folks, just overall awards

My speedy friend, John (on left) was 2nd overall masters in the 5K if I remember correctly. Or maybe first.  I forget.  either way..speedy!

My friend here did the other race that was at this location.  And then after, it was a party for everyone.

some of the volunteers.  Thank you!

Top 3 mens masters in the 10K

EPILOGUE

Don’t know all the in-and-outs of the Alzheimer’s event since I did not do that one, although I have done that course before – much hillier than the SARR route, but some really nice views of the Riverwalk – but for the SARR one, nicely done by the organizers.  I can’t remember how many years this race has been ongoing, but it is quite a while, recall doing this one as one of my very first events after I moved to San Antonio.  Nice quality race shirt, fiesta medals for all finishers, good course, lots of post-race goodies.  I like this race a lot; would certainly do it again and would recommend it to other.

Mucho thanks to our Race Director Trinnie Schley – her first time directing, if I recall, and from where I was, things seemed to go pretty smooth, -   San Antonio Roadrunners club; all the race volunteers, law enforcement, sponsors, vendors, etc; all the people that put this event together so we participants could enjoy it.  Thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Much nicer weather for this one than your other race this weekend. Good job doing two in one weekend again.