Beginners and Beyond

Week 35 Penguins stand for equality! (08/25-08/31) (Read 4 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's Women's Equality Day, so I could NOT pass that one by.  As a woman working in what's still very much a man's world, I believe equality for women is still something to work toward, not something achieved.  However, half of the students in my class (which now numbers 23) are women, so woo-hoo!

It's also National Dog Day.  So hug your furry friends!

Yoga and biking done for me, and apparently I'm going to spend the entire day in a mild state of freak-out about teaching this afternoon.  I keep reminding myself that if I truly suck, the only major repercussion would be that they wouldn't ask me to teach again next year, so how is that bad?  And if I don't truly suck, then the kids learn and I learn and everybody's happy.  Plus the course will be easier to teach next time, because I'm not creating it from scratch.  Still, the logic isn't calming down my emotions completely, so hello, nerves!  Plus I'm trying to get everything done before I start vacation on Wednesday, because I leave for Scotland on Thursday! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - good luck with your class this afternoon.

D - are you still in Indiana?

I don't know whether I'll take today as a rest day or go for an 8 mile run. The humidity is still low, going up tomorrow, so it is tempting. But I ran a hard 15 yesterday, so 8 feels a bit much.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  We landed late last night.  I have 7 miles tonight.

The trip was successful; hubby got the VA job, I visited my office, and we have a house under contract.

Yay for Women Equality.  May we one day have it.

Ginny, hope you had fun whichever you decided.

HopesMom, yay for Scotland!!!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, class semi-sucked.  I can never tell if I'm actually making any kind of connection with people.  The material I thought I was going to finish in about half an hour turned out to fill the entire class, which means that the material for the next class will probably take up two.  I'm not fussed about that.  I had one girl ask me to slow down because she was missing a lot of the material.  Well, ok, but it's an overview course.  You probably don't need to take down every single word I say.  Then they were stunned at the presentation of a quiz at the end of class.  Despite the fact that I'd said the quizzes would come at the end of each topic, would happen often, and were set up to make sure they were paying attention in class.  So who knows?  Maybe I suck.  If so, oh well.

No yoga, no biking.  I'm fighting off either allergies or a cold.  But hey, it's my Friday, and on Thursday I fly out to Scotland!!  Y'all are on your own for a bit, Penguins! 

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope your cold doesn't become a problem for your vacation.  I wonder how many of your students will drop the class now they know they actually have to pay attention?

I ran the 8 yesterday. Now the decision is stationary bike or run today. Since it's raining at the moment, there's no hurry to decide, and it's only 4 miles, so not a big deal either way.