Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 20 times)

DavePNW

No run this morning, due to 6AM meeting, plus it looks pretty icy out. Hopefully I'll be able to get out at some point later.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

A little less than 7 with 5x3min + 3x2 min @5k effort. First time since covid that I really pushed the pace.  Went pretty well.

sdWhiskers

5 miles this morning. I ended up doubling yesterday with another 3 mi. Had to take Kid to baseball practice and it was chilly so figured I was better off jogging than just sitting there.

Baboon

delicate flower

'Morning!  I ran 7 miles this morning, a little harder an effort than I needed to but my legs felt good so I just went with it.  Bike workout later.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

6½ for me at lunch time.  I purposely ran more hills than usual.  It was tiring but it felt good.

I was thinking about discussions on race pricing.  I wonder whether NY City benefits from having the NY Road Runners here.  They run many races during the year with a mission to make running accessible to NY residents, so their prices for non-marquee races are kept low.  Maybe that serves to keep other organizations from charging much higher fees for other races in the city.  Without such an organization, cities like San Diego may be more at the mercy of for-profit race directors.  Just a thought.  In any case, it's always unfortunate when people of fewer means are priced out of something like this.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Greta's Run 5k, 5/19; Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran 6, 4 of of those outside. There is a storm coming and we are going from 70F to 22F so we have the possibility of: hail, massive rains, rain showers, thunder showers, snow, tornadoes, you name it.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Fred, I wonder if there are a lot of groups putting on races in the NYC area? Here, even though there are multiple RM groups and running clubs, it seems like certain events are sacred and no one will put on a competing race. Those sacred events charge what I consider high prices and really annoying logistics,  but they typically sell out. So there is no reason to drop the price or make logistics less annoying.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, I wonder if there are a lot of groups putting on races in the NYC area? Here, even though there are multiple RM groups and running clubs, it seems like certain events are sacred and no one will put on a competing race. Those sacred events charge what I consider high prices and really annoying logistics,  but they typically sell out. So there is no reason to drop the price or make logistics less annoying.

NYCRuns is a competing organization in the city.  NYRR does a lot of their runs in Central Park, so NYCRuns tends to go to other parts of the city, which has kind of forced NYRR to spread out too.  NYCRuns can be nice for people who don't like the 3,000 - 5,000 sized fields that even basic NYRR races can have.  I'm also thinking about the suburbs.  If you're just outside the city, can you charge $180 for a half when people just have to cross a bridge to pay less than half that?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Greta's Run 5k, 5/19; Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12

DavePNW

I just assume races are expensive in Seattle because everything else is expensive here. Same for SD. But also the same for NYC, so you may have something there Fred. We have the usual group of private race companies - just a small handful cover most of the races. They tend to compete more on features than on price. Which I assume is typical - the bulk of participants are not hardcore runners, so do a fewer number per year than we do, and therefore care less about price and more about shirts, medals, & any other swag or entertainment.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I just booked our flights for London. And this is me:

I'M Scared Bro Mark Philips GIF - I'm scared bro Mark Philips Rdcworld1 -  Discover & Share GIFs

Damaris

DavePNW

I just booked our flights for London.

Woo hoo! A handful of people in my running group are going.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

DavePNW,  yes, the sacred races here tend to have fancy medals, free beer and a general party atmosphere.  One big exception is the club challenge. It's a 10 mile race at the end of February.  You have to be a member of a running club and the price varies.  Some clubs cover the full cost, others require a minimal fee (like $10-20). It is no frills,  no shirt, no medals and really fast (474 out of 656 this year under 90 minutes, 66 under 1 hour).

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Woo hoo! A handful of people in my running group are going.

I bet they are not scared, ha!

My coach is not twiddling her thumbs. I have 14/10 this weekend. 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Our prices here are not too cheap but nothing like SD, NY, or Seattle. Or Miami, for sure. But at least none of those are like the Disney prices! I remember the HM was like $200+ and the Goofy (HM and full) was almost $500. The dopey was $600+.

Damaris

DavePNW

I bet they are not scared, ha!

At least one of them I know is! She's a little like you - an extensive marathoning history (well not as many as you), but having a rough go over the last few years. She's working on her 6 stars, so it's mainly a "just finish."

Dave