Beginners and Beyond

PengWEDNESDAILY (Read 16 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Today is National Guacamole Day!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!

3 miles for us depending when our furnace guy shows up.

Take care of the ankle, Mitch.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Jerry.  Today I'll do either 7 or 10 while my dog is at the groomer.  I take her to the adjacent neighborhood on the train because it is 35 dollars less than the place by me.  $35 is like a race entry fee   Usually I drink coffee and read at the local coffee shop, but since I've given up coffee running will have to be my distraction of choice today 

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

Jill, sounds like a good plan while the groomer works.

Jerry, trouble with the furnace?

From yesterday, Lauren, I have an ankle sleeve that I will most likely wear for a while.

My foot feels better this morning, it's still a bit swollen and bruised. I'll get the x-ray done on Thursday afternoon. I pulled out of my half for this weekend, and was able to take a credit for next year's race. I hate that I'll miss my first half with the "Angels", but it's the right thing to do. The Detroit marathon is one of my goals for the fall, so better to rest up and try to be healthy for the Oct 18th date with 26.2.

From the Internet.

Another 3.5 for me this morning. Was chilly when I first stepped out the door, perfect running weather today.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, have a good 3.  Thanks for the guacamole suggestion.  The Mexican market has $5 rotisserie chicken on Wednesdays so I always stop there on my way home from program to get taco stuff...I sure hope they have some ripe avocados today!

Jill, have a good run.  My pup needs to go to the groomer this week; he is rather unkempt.  Have we seen pics of your pup?

Mitch, that's great that you can defer your entry - most races won't let you. Sad  But I'm sorry you have to miss running with the Angels!

Lauren, nice run in nice weather!

I'm headed out for a short run.  It is cloudy and smells like rain, but I don't think I'll get rained on this morning.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Let's see if this works... here's a "baby" photo of her as a puppy =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Howdy guys.  Rain and fall weather are here.  I have 11 scheduled for tonight.  I might even go run them at the track (slowly) just to have some company and a change of scenery.

Jerry- Glad the furnace is going out now instead of mid-Jan!

sapf- Enjoy the new scenery for the run! Cute pup!

Mitch- Glad you're feeling better!

Lauren- Nice run and weather!

Brilliant- Enjoy the short run!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It's still been crazy busy at work, and not much calmer at home.  I'm SOOO looking forward to next week -- there are bike race championships taking over my campus, and we've all been told to stay home if possible.  I decided it was more than possible, it was smart!  So DH and I are going camping at the beach Monday through Wednesday, and then I'm chilling at home Thursday and Friday.  Since this is my first vacation since Christmas, I'm all excited!  But I had guacamole last night, oops!!

Jerryb -- hope the furnace guy shows up -- it's gotten a bit nippy at night!  

sapf -- Sometimes we have the boarding facility give Dusty a bath, but otherwise we just deal with stinky dog.  Luckily he has short hair!

hog -- good news about your ankle!!  You might want to do an epsom salts soak or put arnica on it -- both will help with the swelling, and arnica will also help the bruising heal faster.

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your perfect 3.5!!

Brilliant -- have a good, dry short run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Zelanie -- sorry about the rain, have a good run with company!!

sapf -- your dog is adorable!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - good idea getting your furnace seen to before the cold weather starts.  I hope the 3 went well.

Jill - nice that your dog is small and easy to transport.  Do they allow big dogs on the subway?

Mitch - I hope your ankle continues to heal so you can get back to running.  Sorry about your missed race, but you're lucky it hasn't taken you out for the entire season.

HopesMom - DH was talking about heading to the beach next week too, probably Assateague.  Have fun.

Lauren - good job on the run.  Is it starting to feel normal again?

Allison - enjoy the cool clouds.

Z - I know you'all need rain too.  Have a good run at the track.

AFM:  Ben is limping again, which is worrisome as he seemed to be completely healed.  I'll get some miles in later.

hog4life

Hope, what is arnica and where do you get it? You are the 2nd person that said Epsom salt, so I need to do that this evening.

Brilliant

Jill - so adorable!!

HopesMom, congrats on the vacation; it sounds very chill.

Ginny - hope Ben is OK.

Zel, have a good 11. Now that you've beat the Blerch, what's up next for you?

AFM - I ran an easy 5 miles.  And when I got home, my hubby, who knew that today is Mexican Independence Day as well as Guacamole Day, had made chilaquiles and Mexican hot chocolate.  Yummy but so many calories; I should have run longer!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi!  Late today. Ran 16 this morning, Pilates later.  BBL

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hope, what is arnica and where do you get it? You are the 2nd person that said Epsom salt, so I need to do that this evening.

Arnica is an herb, and we buy it in a gel from WalMart.  It's called Arnicare, if I remember right, and it's probably with painkillers, or maybe Ace bandages.  You can find it at natural foods stores too, I expect, but I'm too cheap to shop at those places.