Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES are late to the dailies (Read 48 times)

GinnyinPA

Baboon - nice race. I am awed by your consistency.

OFR - congratulations to you and your wife. A PR is a PR.

Damaris - I really hope they don't cancel.

Jay - congratulations to your wife.

ROS - I hope you feel better soon.

Dave - perfect weather for your race tomorrow. Enjoy!

HalfCrazy - if you have been following Daniels' paces for your long runs, I can see that it would be difficult to switch to McMillan's faster paces. I've always used McMillan's paces for my LRs, and they are probably at least a minute per mile faster than the Daniels recommendation.

12.1 miles for me on a cool cloudy day.

DavePNW

Good luck tomorrow DaveP!  Any tracking?

Thanks! Yes, I will be tracking via my Garmin.

Oh, you mean for other people? Don't see anything on the website, but they sent me an email. Looks like you can sign up for live tracking alerts or get results at finish. Or you can just wait till I post here, but I imagine ain't nobody got time for that.

Dave

Quickadder

OFR, great results for both you and your DW. Don’t forget to update your signature.

I had an unusual race this morning. 7+ miles with about a mile cross country in the middle. I posted RR in the Masters Forum.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Cyberic

Thanks, and being self coached is where it's at IMO.  You know you the best, and it's fairly easy to work up a schedule. Even if you use a coach for a season, afterwards you should know how to do it for your self. Coaches make money by keeping people coming to them, when they could easily do it themselves. It's not rocket science.

Some people I know prefer to blindly follow a schedule that was thought through and makes sense as a whole. I'm not saying this negatively as some of them are better runners than I'll ever be. It's a matter of choice and preference IMO.

I like doing my own thing, and that is what I do, inpired from canned programs and all the stuff I read and from people posting the workouts they get from knowledgeable coaches.

What I would like, sometimes, is an external look at what I do, and maybe given props on what I do good and suggestions on aspects that could be improved or worked differently. But I never got around to it.

So although I agree with you, I get that some runners prefer having it all cooked and ready to eat.

oldfartrunner

OFR, great results for both you and your DW. Don’t forget to update your signature.

I had an unusual race this morning. 7+ miles with about a mile cross country in the middle. I posted RR in the Masters Forum.

Thanks Quick! Forgot about that-I'm old , and Ill pop over and check it out!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Thanks, and being self coached is where it's at IMO.  You know you the best, and it's fairly easy to work up a schedule. Even if you use a coach for a season, afterwards you should know how to do it for your self. Coaches make money by keeping people coming to them, when they could easily do it themselves. It's not rocket science.

The flip side is that's what I've been doing & seeing no results. I really bumped up my mileage between 2014 and 2015 (1000/year to 1500/year). I have run 1 PR since doing that and it came early in 2015. Shorter distances have been slower. So I figured this would be an experiment. There is definitely a balance of being pushed to do a workout outside of my comfort zone versus a workout I stand little to no chance of completing. I'll have to see if there is a pay off.

Ginny, I just looked at the Daniel's calculator again for comparison and it definitely has a slower easy pace. Most days mine has been slower than that. What he calls marathon pace is the fast side of easy according to McMillan.

DavePNW

I get that some runners prefer having it all cooked and ready to eat.

This is me. My cooking sucks, I just like to eat.

Dave

onemile

Thanks! Yes, I will be tracking via my Garmin.

Oh, you mean for other people? Don't see anything on the website, but they sent me an email. Looks like you can sign up for live tracking alerts or get results at finish. Or you can just wait till I post here, but I imagine ain't nobody got time for that.

signed up!

onemile

I am pretty sure I wouldn't make myself do as hard of workouts as my coach has me do. But if you can, good for you.

oldfartrunner

I am pretty sure I wouldn't make myself do as hard of workouts as my coach has me do. But if you can, good for you.

I guess that is the real advantage of a coach; accountability and the ability for someone to oversee what you are doing and say back off or kick you in the butt some.

DavePNW

I am pretty sure I wouldn't make myself do as hard complicated of workouts as my coach has me do. But if you can, good for you.

This too.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

There's more to coaching than putting together a schedule.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

This too.

It's not the complicated-ness that makes it better but the variety and always having new workouts is what I like.  Even after 2 years with Addie I am still getting new workouts, almost every week and it makes it a little less tedious

Cyberic

It's not the complicated-ness that makes it better but the variety and always having new workouts is what I like.  Even after 2 years with Addie I am still getting new workouts, almost every week and it makes it a little less tedious

Very inspiring ideas, too! Wink

Cyberic

This is me. My cooking sucks, I just like to eat.

The woman and I had home made tartar and wine for supper. The kids were at their gradma's. It was delicious, and no cooking, Dave! Big grin