Beginners and Beyond

Saturday - National Drink Wine Day (Read 27 times)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

8k trail race today in beautiful weather so 1:05 race time and 6 hour tailgating. In a tshirt. In February.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Zelanie

DaveP, I'm glad to hear you're at least able to run some.

Urgent care last Monday was all full of sick people,   I tried to get a spot facing nobody.  Black eye status- looking colorful, but successfully wore a headlamp last night.  I seem to have gotten some street cred with the 5th graders too.

I ran 10 today and 9.5 yesterday with a friend.  She's 50K training, and I'm just trying to make up miles I missed when my head hurt due to laziness during the week, so it was a good match.  It's about perfect running weather here, 50 degrees and we just missed the rain.  We took the dogs for 6, then dropped them by the house and went back out for 4.

Zelanie

Congrats, Lori!

Cyberic

I ran 6. Slower than fuck.

But hey, shorts and a tank top in February!

But you ran quite a workout yesterday (I think? 6 x 1 mile?)

Don't want to be a pest, but from the pace you ran those 6 mile intervals yesterday, it is quite intriguing that you can't go sub 20 on a 5k...

Cyberic

From the Internet.

Dave - sorry to hear about the Achilles! Sad Sports massage and compression socks always help me out when mine acts up.

8.1 miles this morning. Race tomorrow, 10 mile and I need to get in a total of 17 for the day. I'm actually kinda nervous - I feel like I haven't done a workout in forever and MP is going to feel tough, and I don't want to puke when I practice the marathon fuel strategy. On the bright side, it's going to be 50! Shorts and singlet race!

Half Crazy K 2.0

BerthSlayer, nice race.

Baboon, at least you got a hat. I never win raffles, unless it's something I never use. last one I got a men's cologne set. DH doesn't use it.

LRB, take it easy. All sorts of nasty stuff is going around.

Zelanie, Urgent care is kinda scary this time of year. A few years ago, I had to take DH when he cut his finger. I was tempted to take one of the masks from the front entry way that were meant for people who recently visited places with Ebola.

DaveP, hope the achilles behaves

Cyberic, did you get to do any climbing over obstacles?

onemile

But you ran quite a workout yesterday (I think? 6 x 1 mile?)

Don't want to be a pest, but from the pace you ran those 6 mile intervals yesterday, it is quite intriguing that you can't go sub 20 on a 5k...

Well the last time I made a real attempt was almost a year ago. I can't count the post marathon one because I was not recovered yet - my legs felt super heavy and dead for that one.

Yesterday's intervals were I think the fastest I have ever done that workout.  I was supposed to aim for around 10k pace but I could start slightly slower and work up to it.  She said 6:45-6:50 down to 6:35-6:40 so that's pretty much what I did..  during the first one I was writing a letter in my head telling her that this is too much for me and I quit. But then it got better 

Zelanie

Zelanie, Urgent care is kinda scary this time of year. A few years ago, I had to take DH when he cut his finger. I was tempted to take one of the masks from the front entry way that were meant for people who recently visited places with Ebola.

Yeah, but all the sick people put their hand all over them.  Plus in that office they were right at kid-hand height.   I just reminded myself that this is why I get a flu shot every year.

LRB, do you think it was the flu?  I had a nasty flu one year and just remember thinking that I must never have had the actual flu before because I was seriously down for the count.

Cyberic

Well the last time I made a real attempt was almost a year ago. I can't count the post marathon one because I was not recovered yet - my legs felt super heavy and dead for that one.

Yesterday's intervals were I think the fastest I have ever done that workout.  I was supposed to aim for around 10k pace but I could start slightly slower and work up to it.  She said 6:45-6:50 down to 6:35-6:40 so that's pretty much what I did..  during the first one I was writing a letter in my head telling her that this is too much for me and I quit. But then it got better 

So the workout was to run 6 miles (almost 10k) at 10k pace? Ok, you COULD start slower...

Maybe I don't train hard enough...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8k trail race today in beautiful weather so 1:05 race time and 6 hour tailgating. In a tshirt. In February.

Congrats!

Damaris

onemile

So the workout was to run 6 miles (almost 10k) at 10k pace? Ok, you COULD start slower...

Maybe I don't train hard enough...

With 2 minute recoveries..

Sometimes I think the workouts she gives me are too hard...

As long as you are seeing progress, you're training hard enough. McMillan has an article about this.. training optimally instead of maximally

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yeah, but all the sick people put their hand all over them.  Plus in that office they were right at kid-hand height.   I just reminded myself that this is why I get a flu shot every year.

LRB, do you think it was the flu?  I had a nasty flu one year and just remember thinking that I must never have had the actual flu before because I was seriously down for the count.

Yea, I have no choice but to get the flu shot. It's mandatory at my work. That said, it does nothing for the stomach bug, which scares me. Friday I came around the corner to a parent picking up a sick kid who was given a bucket for the ride home.

Zelanie

Yea, I have no choice but to get the flu shot. It's mandatory at my work. That said, it does nothing for the stomach bug, which scares me. Friday I came around the corner to a parent picking up a sick kid who was given a bucket for the ride home.

For those I tell myself those are kid-bugs that I am probably immune to because I either had them as a kid or because I was exposed to them at some point and fought them off.  And I will believe that until proven otherwise!

I went to a conference a couple of years ago that had a norovirus outbreak.  That was terrifying.  It hit right at the end so we had something like 16 hours to go once everybody was sick.  Went with trying to touch nothing, washed my hands a lot, and didn't eat anything at all from the building, and it worked.

Cyberic

With 2 minute recoveries..

Sometimes I think the workouts she gives me are too hard...

As long as you are seeing progress, you're training hard enough. McMillan has an article about this.. training optimally instead of maximally

Do you wear your HRM belt? How long recovery does your watch tell you? I noticed that in real tough workouts I get (used to get, I don't work very hard nowadays) 3 days "recommanded" rest time. Although it's a stupid watch, and what does a stupid watch know... but I noticed that those workouts really drain me physically.