Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES, Just One More Day to Go. You Can Do It! (Read 42 times)

onemile

Hope you like it. Smile

I will send you the bill if I don't.

I got that one and All the Light We Cannot See.

onemile

Answer never came before I left running. I took my sweet ol' time and called in sick this afternoon.

The reasoning is that with flexible hours in the morning, at lunch and at leave time, it's near impossible to call a meeting. I understand that. What I find absolutely unconceivable is that they started to apply the rule systematically, even if there are no meetings planned.

This is dumb.  It's not like you are declining meetings so that you can run. But if there is nothing going on, who the fuck cares?

Zelanie

I will send you the bill if I don't.

I got that one and All the Light We Cannot See.

Don't think you'll regret either one of those.  Anything I should listen to off of your list?

onemile

Don't think you'll regret either one of those.  Anything I should listen to off of your list?

I really liked The Girl Who Slept with God.

Zelanie

I really liked The Girl Who Slept with God.

I will check it out.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Answer never came before I left running. I took my sweet ol' time and called in sick this afternoon.

That's what it's always been, but now the rule is that you can not extend your lunch break with personal time. My boss told me explicitely because she knows I do this all the time, but it's a company wide policy.

The reasoning is that with flexible hours in the morning, at lunch and at leave time, it's near impossible to call a meeting. I understand that. What I find absolutely unconceivable is that they started to apply the rule systematically, even if there are no meetings planned.

Starting next week I'll work out in the morning, before going to work. The schedule is still flexible in the morning and in the evening. So I can come in at 9:30, and leave at 3 PM if I want, as long as I have cumulated personal time, but I just can't use that time around lunch time. I banked a good amount of time going to Seattle exactly for this purpose.

Thing about training in the morning is that if I run two doubles in a row, it doesn't leave much recovery time if I do a hard workout at 7 the next day. But I'll manage. I'm still mad at their lack of judgement in strictly applying the rule over night (although I did get a heads up about a week before) with no possibility of discussion.

Of course our company has these health programs about getting us moving, and eating healthy. With these new rules they are killing all the lunch time sports (there was badminton, volleyball, hockey, the regular gym crowd, and more). There are maybe 40 out of 250 that worked out at lunch and are pissed at the new rule, and to us, it is now clear that the company "Viva Health" program is pure bullshit to pay less insurance, and they don't believe in it.

Long post, I almost feel better Smile

MTA: Forgot, I ran 10.6 with 7 x (1 mile MP-15 w/1 minute jog)

That makes no sense, especially if meetings are planned in advance.

Damaris

Ric-G

planning on around 7 miles or so later after work...was too lazy to get up this morning and do anything.

eric - sorry about that lousy situation at work, especially when you're contribution is not in question... I will never understand that but have given up trying...these things can sometimes revert back to the status quo and hopefully it will for you.

marathon pr - 3:16

GinnyinPA

Cy - if there are 50 out of 240 who are upset with the change in policy, they may end up reverting if enough people complain.  I hope so.  In any case, you'll find a way.  It's not that much longer.

I ran a slow and difficult six.  My legs and lungs are still not back to normal.  I seem to get about one good run a week lately.  This wasn't it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Upper body weights and core. Feels weird that I am "only" going to run 5 times this week. Last year, that seemed like a huge deal to me.

Cyberic, do you have a combination of hourly & salaried workers in Canada? I wonder if that has anything to do with the change in policy? I can sort of see how with hourly employees, a long lunch, if they don't clock out, can result in overtime. Even so, if the company is promoting healthy activities, to cut them all out seems rather hypocritical.

LRB

Feels weird that I am "only" going to run 5 times this week. Last year, that seemed like a huge deal to me.

We have that effect on people. Cool

Cyberic

I agree with all of you. The union said they were going to back me up if I cross the lunch time rule until Boston, but I am not gonna do that. I'll just do my job, but will not give my boss any favors anymore. She wants to play that way, fine, she'll come up short with me.

Cyberic

We have that effect on people. Cool

You bet. I'm running 6-7 days a week, with 1-2 doubles per week. I would not be doing that if I was not hanging around here.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ugh, I never learn.... I guess  Monday I decided to slowly get back on my leg strengthening  exercises - donkey kicks, something that looks like doing the fire hydrant on the ground but I think it is called clam shells or something and then butt lifts/bridges.

I was sore during Tuesday morning's trail run - around what I am learning to be the Medial Hamstring.

Then to be even more stupid, I tried some kettlebell exercises on Wednesday evening - the Kettlebell Swing to be exact....

This morning's run my left Medial Hamstring was extremely sore and achy and tight, and it was just aggravating and slow 

Any type of squat or something that comes slightly close to it is now my enemy. I just hope the pain and tightness is gone before tomorrow evening or Saturday.... I am so getting a massage Saturday.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was a balmy 82F and 71 dewpoint with hardly any wind at 14 mph. We only missed the sun to burst on fire. 8 miles, 5 with hubby.

Damaris

DavePNW

10 w/6x1000. Fail.

Supposed to be at 5k pace. Actual split paces: tempo, 10k, HM, tempo, 10k, 5k. Finally got it on the last one. 

Part of it may be because I was on my usual route rather than the track. So my body thought I was taking it on a tempo run.

But mostly I guess I am still feeling the after-effects of Sunday's race. Kind of beat up.

Dave