Beginners and Beyond

Saturdailies - Thank you baby jesus. (Read 33 times)

delicate flower

LORT. JEBUS. I went out with the LBS's Saturday group ride...

Nice job, Lauren!  Drafting can definitely be a little nerve wracking at first, but it can be really fun once you gain some confidence and feel comfortable doing it.  You go much faster and use about 30% less energy.  Once you drop off the back, it is very hard to catch back up.

<3

Cyberic

9.38 miles with "inline" strides strides at the end.

Is there a proper word for that? Strides are usually done after the run, on a stretch of road/path that you do a few times.

What I do is I do kind of like strides, but during dy run. I just keep going, count to 15 while accelerating and going faster, then slow back down to easy pace for a non specific amount of time, until I decide to do another 15 seconds.

Cyberic

PR: Happy for you

LRB: Enjoyed the story Smile

Baboon: Yeah, man! Good run!

SD: I always pass people. Not just girls. Having someone in front of me pulls me forward.

Lauren: Good luck with your 5K objectives

Onemile: Great workout!

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles and strength training. I must have gotten out between rain bands, so instead of it being refreshing, it was just humid as heck.

sdWhiskers

9.38 miles with "inline" strides strides at the end.

Is there a proper word for that? Strides are usually done after the run, on a stretch of road/path that you do a few times.

What I do is I do kind of like strides, but during dy run. I just keep going, count to 15 while accelerating and going faster, then slow back down to easy pace for a non specific amount of time, until I decide to do another 15 seconds.

My coach calls these pickups

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh and all this cross-training has done great things for my run workouts! I'm back to keeping up with my old track group for club workouts again, averaging in the mid-6s for 5K worth of intervals. TIME FOR A 5K PR! Big grin Sub-20 will have to wait until next year, but I'm gunning for sub-21 when fall weather hits.

Sounds good!

Damaris

Cyberic

My coach calls these pickups

Makes sense. Thanks.

RunningOnSand

I went out for 7 but ended up with 7.25 in the rain. It was slow but about right.

Around the 5 mile mark, the sidewalk was ending so I crossed the street and happened upon a runner who had been running parallel to me. I tried to speed up a bit to get out of his space, but he sped up, so I slowed down, then he slowed down. Really dude?? Finally, I just stopped and let him go on about his dingbat ass way. Then, about a mile down the road, I came upon him stopped at a traffic light. Are you kidding me?? I turned right and jogged for about 200 meters rather than go through that nonsense all over again, then turned around and jogged back to cross where he had crossed, thus the extra quarter mile. Good grief.

LOL. Big grin

I ran 12, and now I'm beat. I'm guessing the margaritas last night didn't help much. Also, my car has been majorly stressing me out, and I'm guessing that is adding to the overall fatigue.

PR, that is awesome you had such a great run. Fucking fabulous. Big grin

Onemile, nicely done.

Jay, you're so fast. Holy moly. I'm praying that one day a 7'ish pace feels easy. Big grin

Whiskers, I don't think a couple days off could hurt. Probably the opposite, if you need it. 

Lauren, sounds like a great workout!

onemile

Jay, you're so fast. Holy moly. I'm praying that one day a 7'ish pace feels easy. Big grin

A 7:00 pace will feel easy when you're ready to OTQ 

Runshortii

I ran 13. Cut back week for me. Felt pretty good, wanted to do more.

onemile - I remember last week you had intervals with a floating recovery. I hadn’t heard that term. Now I have 400s next week with floating recovery lol

onemile- Nice ladder workout

Boon- What kinda effort is this? Like MP. You got some speed man and thats a long ass run

LRB- Yeah exactly. A LR/tempo combo with a warmup/ pre-fatigue. So right now I'm not really near a goal race so I keep the warmup short. As I get closer to my goal HM I will use a longer pre-fatigue and then hit the tempo (usually HM goal pace). It has worked extremely well for me the last cycle.

Lauren- Sounds like your hitting some fast paces on the intervals. Don't sell yourself short. You may go sub-20 sooner than you think.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

4 miles done.  We went to the Cirque show and it was so hot (and humid, of course), a lady had to be taken to the hospital because she collapsed after the walk from the parking lot to the arena (1/4 - 1/2 mile walk). Oy.

Damaris

Cyberic

PR-  Awesome!

Eric- Wish ya all the best with your RP issues. Hopefully she will understand and continue to just run with ya.

Headed over to my local park for a 12/3 tempo. Warmed up 2mi and then ran 5k at tempo effort. Got a 19:22 split here which I'm pretty happy about considering the hills. Ran the rest of the miles easy. 7:12avg pace.

I read the 12/3 and was wondering what that was, and it seems like I skipped the rest of the message. Very nice training 5K tempo. 19:22, with hills. Faster than I am, but I already knew that. Smile

From the Internet.

Nice job, Lauren!  Drafting can definitely be a little nerve wracking at first, but it can be really fun once you gain some confidence and feel comfortable doing it.  You go much faster and use about 30% less energy.  Once you drop off the back, it is very hard to catch back up.

Definitely felt more comfortable with it by the end of the ride! I likely won't ride with these guys again until after my tri (August 12) for various scheduling reasons, so hopefully I'll be better equipped to keep up right from the start next time and save myself some energy!