Beginners and Beyond

Week 32 Penguins press pause ... (09/20-09/26) (Read 10 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Pause the World Day, which would be a really nice thing, IMHO.  Although I sort of did press pause this weekend -- I got myself all set up to record a lecture for my class to upload, and my laptop battery died.  I didn't take a power supply home.  So then I was going to work on some music ... and couldn't find the sheet music I wanted.  So then I thought of making some pecan sandies ... but didn't have two cups of pecans.

So I did laundry, read a book, watched some TV, and DH and I went to Sunday evening Vespers service at our church.  Very low-key.  Oh, and we went boating with a friend on Saturday morning, which was lovely (though a bit chilly!)  All in all, a pause sort of weekend.

Today is also National Pecan Cookie Day, so now I'm wishing I'd made those cookies ... need to go put pecans on the grocery list ...

I intended to bike in this morning, but when I got to my usual parking spot, I really had to pee!  So I drove in, parked, snuck in the back door of my lab, and scared my tech.  Fun times!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon! Took today off and ran 7 this morning.

HopesMom, wish I could pause the world many times. Haha, I can imagine you scaring the poor tech.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - sounds like you had a good weekend, despite all the frustrations.

D - did you take the day off in honor of your birthday? I hope you enjoyed it.

There was a movie years ago, or maybe a song? titled, "Stop the world, I want to get off!" That's more where I am right now. Hitting pause would mean staying where I am, which isn't a good place. So I'll skip the pause button, for now.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks. I didn't do it for that but it worked better than had I run a race and wake up at 5am, lol. I just needed to give the knee a day off. My mistake was to run the day after my 17 miler and outside. I was sore, I stepped on a tandem road and twisted it a bit. Had I left the run for Tuesday, I would've rested Monday and it wouldn't have bothered me all week. Live and learn!

Hoping it gets better for you, Ginny. Hugs.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm trying to pause in little ways, just to give my soul a little room to breathe.  I biked in this morning, jumped into my email to fill out a form I'd forgotten about, scurried downtown to get a Covid prevalence test (results in 3-4 business days), scrambled off to get my flu shot (by appointment only), and then started the walk back.  And took my time.  It's a lovely day outside, the sun is shining and it's not hot and humid.  I knew I had a service engineer in my lab when I got back, but I mentally said "screw it" and refused to hurry.  Which I suspect got me back in a better frame of mind.

And with 5.6k steps, so there's that too! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I ran 5 miles outside this morning, 4 solo and 1 with hubby.

HopesMom, sounds like a busy day. Hoping the test is negative.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - do you have reason to think you've been exposed to Covid?  Sounds like a satisfying morning at least.

D - nice morning run. Why only one mile with Richard?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

He has not run in 2-3 months due to knee pain so it's his first mile in forever. He wanted to run 2 but I reminded him last time he did that (started with 2, then 3 within a week), the pain came back.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

No, I really doubt it'll come back positive, and I have no reason to think I've been exposed.  This is the university testing a pool of volunteers to see how prevalent asymptomatic covid is.  So far they've done some 800 plus tests and 6 have come back positive, so most people who think they're negative are, and I doubt I'll be any different.  Just playing my part for science.

Biked in this morning.  I really needed to pee again, but I also really wanted to bike, so I chose biking while a bit uncomfortable.  Oh well.  It was a nice ride, anyway.

Thought about taking a mental health day tomorrow, because I am sorely in need of some mental health, but it's not going to work out -- the service engineer had to order some parts, but they'll be delivered tomorrow, so he'll be back tomorrow.  Oh well.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is great that they are testing so many. Good luck!

I ran 4 this morning and have another 4 tonight. Had my allergy shot and I'll see how I feel since they had to repeat Monday's dose because the welt was the size of Australia, lol.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - ouch! Do you usually respond like that to your shots?

HM - I'm glad that it's just testing to test, not because you think you're sick.

Singer who runs a smidge

Got my test result back last night, and I am indeed negative, so that's nice.

No biking today, as I have chorus rehearsal tonight.  Plus it's raining, so there's that.

Docket, hope your welt shrinks to at least New Zealand size!

Hugs to you both, because I'm sure we could use them!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad you were negative!

They repeated my dose and the second one had nothing to worry about so I get to go up next Monday and see.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all!  It's kind of gloomy and rainy here today, but hey, it's Friday!  I'm pondering what kind of bread I want to make this weekend -- should I make boring white or wheat bread, which we could eat with meals, or should I make cinnamon raisin bread, which doesn't sound as appetizing with soup, for example, but would make great toast for breakfast?  It's a pickle.  Plus the white bread is pretty much put the ingredients together in the bread machine and forget about it for a couple of hours, then pull it out and pop it into loaf pans.  The cinnamon raisin would be much more hands on, and I'm already planning to make a slow-cooker lasagna tomorrow and a birthday cake on Sunday.  But hey, it's baking, which is always a good time.  So I'm a bit torn.  Any advice?