Beginners and Beyond

The last Boston Marathon finisher (Read 61 times)

Hip Redux

I'm sure you've all seen this, but it's worth sharing if you haven't...

http://mashable.com/2015/04/21/boston-marathon-last-place-finisher/

The video is crazy - the man had a whole crew cheering him on in the pouring rain!  

happylily

How humbling for me to see this man struggling in the rain for hours and hours. If someone deserves that medal, it is him!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

It is pretty cool.

Awesome.  Hats off to him.

delicate flower

How humbling for me to see this man struggling in the rain for hours and hours. If someone deserves that medal, it is him!

It is nice to see that medal hanging around his neck.  Can't say every race would have somebody there to hand it to him 20 hours after the start of the race.

<3

Zelanie

I hadn't seen this.  Thanks for sharing.

Love the Half

I went to a 5K Turkey Trot a couple of years ago and there was some  woman with a medical condition.  Don't know what it was but her legs didn't bend and she used crutches to move.  I finished the race, cooled down for a few minutes, and went back out to jog the course again just to get in some extra miles.  When I did that, she was just passing the 1 mile mark.  I thought for sure she'd cut it short somewhere.  Nope.  She finished the whole thing even though it took her nearly two hours.  Several of us were hanging around drinking a couple of beers when we saw her coming down the street to finish and we all went over to cheer her in.  It was marvelous to personally witness something like that.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

It is nice to see that medal hanging around his neck.  Can't say every race would have somebody there to hand it to him 20 hours after the start of the race.

Right?  There is just so much awesome in this story.  That he would challenge himself in that way and that people recognize and appreciate how amazing it is.